HAIR SALON OWNERS and/or Managers

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Hi Ladies! Anyone own or operate a hair salon (currently or recently)?

Kinda wondering how you view the "bottom line" or profit margin in this economy and in the business overall (in a better financial climate)?
Do you feel it is worth opening a salon in this kind of economy (if currently not operating????)

In other words would you go into this business again if you were not already vested? or wait until the economy significantly improves????
Also (last one... sorry:drunk:! Anyone in this biz view a "natural salon" as significantly more or less profitable than offering a full range (chemical included) of services???

judging only by the city/state you are in Now (or any areas you are familiar with)

Last edited:
I'm going to take a stab at this. At the moment I work in a natural hair salon. The only chemical service we offer is color. No straightening whatsover. Although I love the environment the problem with this is that we alienate a lot of clients that would like a flatiron here and there. Also the other natural styles are more time consuming (twists, extensions, etc) therefore they cost more. So sometimes we can only schedule but so many people in a day because one client alone can take you no less than 3 hours.

My current boss has been in business 30 years or so, so it's fine for her because she has a loyal clientele. As far as newer clientele it's not so great. A natural salon can be profitable if the stylists know what they are doing but can also do it in a timely matter. Time is really important because if you are on one client all day you aren't making money and who the heck wants to be there all day?

If a salon has decent prices and good stylists then it can survive in this economy. However I think salons that offer full range services are more profitable only because of client turnaround. Naturals that do their own hair know how long it can take. In a salon it's a little faster but it's still long. It is quicker to put a relaxer in and give the client a sleek style as opposed to two strand twists which can take a bit longer. I envision opening a salon that focuses on healthy hair in general that way I can appeal to all and only alienate people that could care less.

BTW I'm looking at this from an NYC point of view. I would definitely go into this business again because IMHO there is space for everyone.

Back