Hair problem! Help! Fast! Need to do mom's hair tonight!

Porsche19

I do both my own and my mother’s hair. I mostly wash and go, and she gets her hair pressed.

When I straighten either one of our hair, it gets very soft and won’t hold much curl. It doesn’t bother me, because when I straighten my hair, I don’t want to put curls back into it, but my mother wants curls. She would like thermal curling, but she doesn’t like electrical curling irons (old school mama) so after I press it she puts sponge curlers in it.

Is their a problem with our hair? I would say that my mom’s hair is damaged (the back broke completly off from a bad relaxing experience, the fault of her old hairstylist) while my hair is healthy.

Is it that when you straighten the hair with heat, you’d have to use heat to curl it? Is there a product like a curling wax that I should be using?

I use only keracare shampoos and conditioners and dudley’s cream press to press my mom’s hair (her idea).

Is the soft hair a sign of health or damage? Come to think of it, my hair comes out even softer than my mom’s. It reminds of Asian hair, really straight but will not hold a curl easily. Is this normal for someone who presses their hair?

Porsche19,
when I used to straighten my hair, I would use Lottabody setting lotion combed along the length of my hair and then rollerset and sit under a hood dryer. My hair always came out bouncy and strong, and the curls would hold for a week. Before I bought the hooded dryer I would sleep in rollers, as an alternative, but be warned this can cause breakage as well as discomfort, but the hold is not as good without heat. A good setting lotion may be the key, Lottabody or Motions, are excellent brands.

MeechUK

Porsche19,

Sponge rollers are very damaging. Is your Mom using end papers before she rolls? Also, a little setting lotion at the ends help protect too, but always with the curling papers. Damaged hair, sponge rollers and heat is a recipe for baldness. I know, I've done this to myself.

After the styling, I would recommend a protein treatment and a trim in the near future to stop the breakage. I'm not implying that you don't already incorporate these steps, but I noticed you only mentioned the 'poo, conditioner and pressing cream.

HTH

My mom won't let me do her hair in the way that I would like to, so she uses sponge rollers with no end papers and basically does a whole bunch of other stuff that I don't want her to do and that I would not do to my own hair. I do as much as I can for her though, and her hair looks better than when her hairdresser was doing it and is growing in. I do proetin treatments once a month for her. It's breaking a lot less.

Setting lotion can be used with a press?

It would work for me because I rollerset my hair, but what about for someone who can't put water in her hair?

Porsche19 said:
My mom won't let me do her hair in the way that I would like to, so she uses sponge rollers with no end papers and basically does a whole bunch of other stuff that I don't want her to do and that I would not do to my own hair. I do as much as I can for her though, and her hair looks better than when her hairdresser was doing it and is growing in. I do proetin treatments once a month for her. It's breaking a lot less.

Setting lotion can be used with a press?

It would work for me because I rollerset my hair, but what about for someone who can't put water in her hair?

No, the setting lotion is after the press and before the the roller. Do you think your Mom will use a different roller, like the type used in salons? That will help.

What kind of protein treatment are you using?

Back