Hair Line Edges

SoulElegance

Do anyone have any suggestion on growing out the edges of your hair. You know, the part horribly damaged by relaxers and tight braids. :wallbash:
I am now using MTG, Castor Oil, and Nitrate 2%. I see some growth. Anyone have any before and after pics and also would you mind posting what you used and what worked for you to produce rapid growth?

Thanks.

Do anyone have any suggestion on growing out the edges of your hair. You know, the part horribly damaged by relaxers and tight braids. :wallbash:
I am now using MTG, Castor Oil, and Nitrate 2%. I see some growth. Anyone have any before and after pics and also would you mind posting what you used and what worked for you to produce rapid growth?

Thanks.
wish somebody would give up the goods on this one.:lachen:i lost both sides:yep:and only castor bt and what ever i get my hands on i used one side is comeing back but real slow so i guess it with time and babying them. i think the side are the hardest to grow for some reason right now i am use this growth edge i got from a member of another forum that i had for some time but forgot about it:blush:. so i will see

Last edited:
boundless tresses is good for the hair line and edges. I dont have any pictures, but my hairline has improved a lot since ive been using it. my edges have improved a lot too.

I wouldn't relax or texlax those edges for at least a year or so. I had to deal with postpartum hairloss, my edges were bald (sorry no pics). I moisturized and DC regularly. Now, I can appreciate the new growth around my edges. Now, the four inches or so blends with my hair. Good luck.

I was looking at some pics on boundless tresses. I think I am going to invest in a bottle fairly soon. I am sick of wearing hair weaves. I look around and all I see is black women NOT wearing their own hair. Hair weaves and wigs. Must be some kind of conspiracy to keep the damn chinese people wealthy off of african american women. Mostly all beauty supply stores are owned by them. I really dont want to give them any more of my money. Right now I buy real indian hair from black merchants but by next year I want to wear my own. Thick, long and strong. Just wish these edges would come the hell on. :wallbash: What is BT by the way? I take it DC means deep conditioning. What are your deep conditioning method and I can do it with the weave in right?

BT = Boundless Tresses

I was looking at some pics on boundless tresses. I think I am going to invest in a bottle fairly soon. I am sick of wearing hair weaves. I look around and all I see is black women NOT wearing their own hair. Hair weaves and wigs. Must be some kind of conspiracy to keep the damn chinese people wealthy off of african american women. Mostly all beauty supply stores are owned by them. I really dont want to give them any more of my money. Right now I buy real indian hair from black merchants but by next year I want to wear my own. Thick, long and strong. Just wish these edges would come the hell on. :wallbash: What is BT by the way? I take it DC means deep conditioning. What are your deep conditioning method and I can do it with the weave in right?

Yea..this is something that i have always struggled with as well. I always thought it was genetic because two people in my immediate family have the same kind of hairline that i do (and they are both guys) :lachen:
I am working on it now by not brushing/combing that area and it seems to be working...of course, i dont braid the hair there and that sort of thing

Don't worry girl, you're not alone :yep:

I'm using the original MTG. It works fine for my sides. I had braids late last year and it my sides thinned out a little. But I'm applying MTG on a regular basis and it is growing back in.

I DC with ORS pak or Silicon Mix using a plastic cap (once a week). Be patient, I know it's easier said than done...best wishes. My regimen is in my fotki under "my journals".

I still struggle but I think mine are coming along. Here's what I do: Don't wear a shower cap on your edges...put a headband on first then your showercap. Try to alternate your scarf position everynight...i.e. tie in the front on Mon, tie in the back on Tues...the tension makes a difference. I also try not to brush them...it's hard but use your hands. If you are stretching...ok clutch your pearls...use some gel BUT add some moisturizing conditioner and/ or castor oil with it. I also massage with cinnamon eo sometimes, but it burns. I did use MTG to jump start my edges...not as often now. Go to my fotki and check out 2005 and I guess 2007, too. Good Luck!

Last edited:
After C&Ging for 7 months, my edges were a bit thin, not bad, but I could certainly see my scalp through the hair that was left. I used Boundless Tresses and that completely fixed the problem. It took two bottles using every other day for about five months. Using the BT also made my hair grow faster, so a bonus for me.

I have read that the scented one covers the smell of the sulpher (which I think is pretty stinky), but it worked very well.

Good luck.

I am struggling really bad with my edges. They are REALLY bad (practically bald) due to braids and tension from pulling my hair back. I am currently alternating between BT, Lenzi's request and MN (I travel a lot and do MN since I can take it in my carry on luggage). If I could get some patience I would be doing a LOT better!:drunk: 5 months huh? I guess all I have is time (sigh).

BT definately helped my edges. That's the only topical growth aide I've used off and on this year and I'd apply it directly to my hairline and where i wanted it to increase. My edges weren't bad, but I wanted a little more hair coming down the edges and when I got my last touch-up a few weeks ago (from the dominicans, it came out SOO great and I was suppose to do an update pic but my digi cam broke, getting a new one soon so bear with me) it looked like I had a little edge up, meaning I had baby hair along the sides almost like little sideburns. They didn't put a razor to my edges at all but they were so perfect it looked like they shaped them, when my boyfriend picked me up afterwords, he said "Baby they gave you an edge up?" Lol..but yeah, I say BT, I haven't even used it consistently, just started back on it this morning, but I'm convinced it increased my hairline.

My edges are bogish too. It seems like the longer my hair gets, the thinner my edges get.:sad:

I know one thing the biotin I am taking is growing hair. I can't exactly tell what its doing for the hair on my head but its definately growing the hair on my legs. :perplexed I haven't shaved my legs in geesssh 20 years or longer. Hair just didn't grow there and now I gotta start shaving. Its not that bad but noticable to my eye so maybe I will leave it alone and hope it dont get thicker and longer. :look: Well at least I know the biotin is working. :yep: Noticing hair growing on my edges. Slow but definate progress. So ladies don't give up on the hair edges. I guess paitence is important here. Something I never mastered.

I am using castor oil, MTG, and MN on my edges and scalp. I mix the MTG with the Castor oil so it wont be so oily and dripping. The castor oil thickens it up and is suppose to be really good for growing hair. I put it in a old hair dye bottle and just squeeze small amounts on my scalp. I also rub a small amount of Castor Oil between my fingers and rub it on my eyelashes for eye lash growth. Also my eyebrows. Not a fan of tweezing and shaving my eyebrows to look pencil thin. I did that once and man did I look OLD. :nono: So just applying them on the eyebrow to darken them up a bit. Hope I dont end up looking like oscar the grouch.

JBCO(jamaican black castor oil) saved my hair edges:yep:.

I wet my front hair line and then dab my JBCO on and then tie down with a scarf at nite. The next morning my edges are laid down nicely. Also the JBCO filled my thinning line in quite nicely.

Nixoin Follicle Booster - helps eliminate DHT (cause of male & female balding & hair loss) and it helps get oxygen and vitamins directly into the follicles. I'm using it now. Sorry - no before & after pics - but it's working for me, and other people on the site have used it as well. You can do a search for more info.

Maybe this isn't the best suggestion, but maybe you want to wear your hair in a style that doesn't require you to touch/brush/comb your edges.

But sounds like your suffering from traction alopecia. Right now, less tension/friction on that area is best. Continue with deep conditioning and massage the scalp to help increase blood flow to the area.

Nixoin Follicle Booster - helps eliminate DHT (cause of male & female balding & hair loss) and it helps get oxygen and vitamins directly into the follicles. I'm using it now. Sorry - no before & after pics - but it's working for me, and other people on the site have used it as well. You can do a search for more info.

How long have you been using this?

Anyone know where I can purchase sulfur? I want to make my own hair growing mix. What potency to buy, etc?

Thanks.

www.baldwins.co.uk there's just sulphur powder, the potency would depend on your mix. Check out the Hair Recipe board to get an idea there's loads of different ones..

BT gets some good reviews from this site. Also, I used Nioxin poo and condish on my edges only for about 6 months. Then, moisturized and conditioned as usual.

e$h, I've been using the Nioxin Follicle Booster for a couple of months now, and have seen growth in my thinning hairline, even in a little bald temple area that I thought was just dead (had it since I was a child)! I got a "texlax' touch-up 2 weeks ago, and my hairline already looks like I could use another one. I haven't tried the other Nioxin products for thinning hair (shampoo, conditioner, etc. - that would be an expensive investment!), but I swear by the follicle booster. It's not a grease or oil so doesn't clog the pores or weigh down the hair. It's a liquid solution, and I gently massage a little bit into my hairline & nape area in the mornings & evenings - takes less than a minute. After it dries, then you can use your other normal hair products. Heck, lately, I've been putting some all over my entire scalp. I figure a little 'extra nourishment' to all my follicles can't hurt and might help!

www.baldwins.co.uk there's just sulphur powder, the potency would depend on your mix. Check out the Hair Recipe board to get an idea there's loads of different ones..

Thanks for the info. Thank you ladies also for the many replies to this post. Great suggestions.

You can also try colorless iodine. It's in most drugstores and stores like Family Dollar in the Hispanic section. Alternate days with the colorless iodine and shea butter and the hair should grow in if the follicles are still o.k.

Back