Hair lacks Moisture - what should be done?

KinksnCurlz

My girlfriend just got her hair done but she says it looks very dry... i told her aside from rewashing/conditioning it again, she should try using a little polisher and sheen spray...she said she did this and it still looks dry. My next recommendation would be shea butter or coconut oil (which she does not have
laugh.gif
).

What would u recommend she do 2 combat the dryness (add moisture/sheen)?

TIA

Tell hair to get the ORS shea butter _______ something or another it's lemony in color. It works really well and is in most drug stores. She will have to use it a couple of times.

well if her hair is lacking moisture she will need something like a oil moisturizer to boost the moisture levels, but most are water based so if she is wearing a straight style this might cause it to revert. I really like elasta qp recovery.

She should wash with a moisturizing 'poo (therappe, etc.) and do a deep penetrating moisturizing conditioner with at least 15 minutes of low heat (humectress, etc.) followed by a moisturizing leave in (headdress, giovanni, etc.). Also, "polishers" can be drying to some because of the silicones (my hair hates 'cones and I discovered that repeated use dried out my hair -- I avoid leave-ins with 'cones like the plague!). Also, sheen sprays can be drying as well becasue of alcohol content. Instead of the polisher and spray, I'd suggest a light natural oil or butter, like coconut, jojoba or olive after hair is dried. Thus:

1. wash with moisturizing shampoo (therappe, etc.)
2. deep conditioner with moisturizing conditioner (humectress, etc.) apply generously, cover with plastic cap and apply heat for at least 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly
3. towel dry and apply moisturizing leave in (headdress, giovanni, etc.)
4. dry hair completely, preferable rollerset under hood dryer or airdry.
5. rub small amout of of butter, jojoba or olive oil in palms and apply to hair for added shine and to seal in moisture.

This routine works like a charm for my 4b relaxed hair whenever its dry. BTW, products are for suggestions only and any mositurzing 'poo, conditioner and leave-in should do the trick.

Hope this gives some ideas . . .

neroli, thats exactly what I do when my hair is dry
smile.gif
same products and all! I just thought she wanted to avoid washing since she just got it done. I know I try to make my hairdo last for at least a few days! lol...

Neroli those are some good tips. I'm going to definitely give this routine a try. I started a thread about what to do with my hair because its soooo dry and dull looking. I have all the products you mentioned. Thanks for posting.

Leslie: Yeah, I agree with making the hairdo last but, IMO, if its dry, nothing will properly moisturize it until its washed and conditioned again . . .

TBbird: You're welcomed! Hope it works for you too - my hair THRIVES on nexxus . . .

Thanks guys but she doesn't want to redo her hair... she wants 2 try something now (yes, she is wearing it out) until next week when she gets it done again.

Hmm... the only other thing I could suggest outside of Neroli's sage advice is PM Foaming Pomade. This stuff shines like the dickens and it's not heavy. That and/or a polisher/serum like you said should do the trick 'til she gets it done again.

You said she tried oil sheen: what kind did she use? Why does she think her hair looks dry: did the salon use too much heat? Anything w/mineral oil? Just curious...

Revlon Sheen spray... she said she used a different relaxer (motions) and she is use to using Hawaiian Silky (for like 10 years
laugh.gif
) Dont ask me y she switched up
perplexed.gif

I just got my hand ons the Elasta QP Mango Butter(I've been missing out on this) and this stuff is amazing, just a little goes along way. I like to go over it with coconut oil to seal in the moisture. My hair feels soft and moisturized.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Revlon Sheen spray... she said she used a different relaxer (motions) and she is use to using Hawaiian Silky (for like 10 years
laugh.gif
) Dont ask me y she switched up
perplexed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw, man! I believe that THAT may be the culprit. Okay, now I understand...

Back