Hair Hypocrites

hennagirl said:
I agree that plenty of white women wear extensions - read weaves. IMO, they justify their hypocrisy by stating that THEIR extensions parallel their hair. They state that black women get extensions with "white-people-Type 1 or 2" hair because black hair is bad and needs to be hidden/replaced with "white-people, Type 1 or 2" hair. Therefore, their weaves are choice and ours are necessary. I probably artculated this badly. I do wish, however, that some of us would choose hair that more closely matched our own - picture me ducking.:eek:

Is it really the white girls that are saying the above. When I was in university it was the black girls always putting there hands in other black girls heads and talking about she got no hair. The white girls I knew could care less what was or wasn't in my head. Also the white girls used extensions all the time in uni. (i lived in residence). As for the difference between weave or extension...different people call it different things. For the longest time the black girls i knew called it extensions..that was the only word I knew to describe it and that is how it was listed at the black salon I used to go to back in the 90's...weave only became popular when all the black celebs started talking about weave.

I have pondered this very same question myself over the last few months. It's laughable really that they have "extentions" whereas us coloreds have weaves. And the funny thing is that there weaves most times look more obvious than ours do.
JazzyDez said:
how come when whites do it its called "extensions" and when blacks do it its called "weave?"

*Bre~Bre* said:
I have pondered this very same question myself over the last few months. It's laughable really that they have "extentions" whereas us coloreds have weaves. And the funny thing is that there weaves most times look more obvious than ours do.
Not sure i agree with that statement :ohwell:

asha said:
Is it really the white girls that are saying the above. When I was in university it was the black girls always putting there hands in other black girls heads and talking about she got no hair. The white girls I knew could care less what was or wasn't in my head. Also the white girls used extensions all the time in uni. (i lived in residence). As for the difference between weave or extension...different people call it different things. For the longest time the black girls i knew called it extensions..that was the only word I knew to describe it and that is how it was listed at the black salon I used to go to back in the 90's...weave only became popular when all the black celebs started talking about weave.

Preach girl. Generally white people occasionally curious about our hair but could care less over all. IMO were the ones that give the world permission to disrespect us by talking about each others hair in a derogatory way.

I think we jus gotta be real and say that us growing our hair and it being long is definitely a conscious thing for most of us. And out hair for the most part is not naturally straight. SOme of us have that "silky" texture but then most of those get flak for having "good hair". We been conditioned and taught that our hair is not good and other reaces see our hair as inferior too. htey think our hair can't grow and if it does we're mixed. So when u see balck girl with long straight hair, it's a weave, cuz we can;t possibly have long black hair. I mean come on, we're black! White people their hair could be coloured every week and it will still be in most case s down their butt. So when u see them with long hair. The last thing you would think is that its not theirs. It all comes down to prejudice and ignorance to me. We are "less" than them (supposedly) so what they do is A-OK. If we do the same its flawed:perplexed or in this case we're bald.

karamel11 said:
It all comes down to prejudice and ignorance to me. We are "less" than them (supposedly) so what they do is A-OK. If we do the same its flawed:perplexed or in this case we're bald.

Say it again girl!!!!! This hits the nail right on the head.

I always thought that extensions were hair that was added to make braids or twists, and weaves were added to make loose styles. So they are actually the same term that is used interchangably, and have nothing to do with the style or how the hair is added. Is that right?

They've been wearing them way before black women were, but everyone always assumes they wear them for different reasons.

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Preach girl. Generally white people occasionally curious about our hair but could care less over all. IMO were the ones that give the world permission to disrespect us by talking about each others hair in a derogatory way.

I think we engage their curiousity when we use hair textures different from our own and IMO MANY women DO wear hair completely different than their own texture. In my experience it is this imitation that arouses their curiousity and then feelings of superiority and condescension. IMO, there is hair available to match healthy beautiful relaxed hair and we should use it, because I assure you they are laughing at us. I am not saying we should care but they are laughing and they have a point, why do we use texture that is not our own. My experience base is my sisters-in-law, my sorority sisters (DG) and my friends. I always say I don't know why women use hair that is obviously fake, I can't speak for her, I can't speak for black America, I can only speak for myself. IMO, these feelings are reinforced by travel. Have you seen some of the hairdos worn by airport security personnel? I would love to say to some of these women, what do you see in the mirror. I tried to speak the truth as I see it in this post and I don't mean to offend anyone. I think that we are so sensitive about the subject of hair that we often find it difficult to be objective.

Blossssom said:
I know it is! LOL!

I have an ex-girlfriend, Latino, and she gets extensions for "special occasions" ;)
Mestiza said:
...how thankful he was that they had become more affordable b/c Black women were getting them, frequently and it was good for his business.

:lol: @ the bolded...

My and my sister are experts at spotting weaves, extensions, falls, pieces, ponytails, buns, etc on anybody and there are plenty of white women out there wearing them.. Next time you see a white girl with really thick, long hair (especially if they are blond), its 50/50 that there is some fakeness up in there.

In reading this thread and through my experiences I don't see anything hypocritical about it. Or maybe what I mean is that it is one of those things that is not really a black/white issue.

sunnydaze said:
My and my sister are experts at spotting weaves, extensions, falls, pieces, ponytails, buns, etc on anybody and there are plenty of white women out there wearing them.. Next time you see a white girl with really thick, long hair (especially if they are blond), its 50/50 that there is some fakeness up in there.

There was a discussion on the radio about genetics and they had an expert on, and a lady called in and asked basically "Is everyone one day going to be brunette?" The expert said "My guess is blonde hair will become more rare." The goofy interviewer goes "It already is rare. Buy stock in Clairol y'all."

Point being, almost all White girls with bright shiny blonde hair are frauds. Some of the dirty blondes are natural though.

sunnydaze said:
Next time you see a white girl with really thick, long hair (especially if they are blond), its 50/50 that there is some fakeness up in there.

There are a few though. I recall a girl that I went to school with. She was a beautiful girl. When we were in high school she looked like she walked straight out of Malibu ( I would say she looked like a life-size Barbie but she was prettier because her features were natural looking) Anyhoo, her hair was just thick and lush and she was a natural blond (her blond was/is unusual to find on an adult. It is like that soft loose waved buttercream color you find on very young children or what they picture cherubs with). In fact we are in school again now and her hair is the exact same and she has children that have hair like hers.

Back