Hair Help....Moisture Issue!!

Opulence

Neith or anyone that can help. I have another problem

I took out some kinky twist about a month ago, and ever since then my hair has been acting weird. some strands in the back which used to be super curly are straight. the other thing I noticed is that I can't seem to get any moisture to penetrate my hair since removing the braids. I have tried deep conditioning with different products, with and without heating cap, overnight, with oil, etc. and it doesn't seem to help. THere is still this mild brillo like feel to my hair, and it is making it frizzy. I don't know if you can see it in the pic below.

ANy suggestions on how to get those strands curly again and how to get some moisture to penetrate?

Attachments

• badhairday.jpg
    badhairday.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 44
I'm relaxed, and have no suggestions. But I can definitely see those straight hairs. I don't think they can be permanent from kinky twists.

Have you clarified your hair?

Usually I wouldn't go straight to that, but from what you described, I think that product build up could be your problem...

that was like 2 weeks ago. should I try it again?

I can try it again this evening. what should I do after the clarifying shampoo?

I'd also do a clarifying shampoo and then DC afterwards. It looks like build-up.

Did you also use heat on your hair? I've heard of some naturals that pressed their hair with too much heat and some hair became permanently straight.

Well since you clarified I wouldn't just do it again so soon.

However... aren't those shampoos weak sulfate or non sulfate based? Are you sure it truly clarifies? Maybe you need a shampoo with more punch? At least once in a while.

Definitely do a good DC afterwards...

I agree with Neith. I've used sulfate shampoo and it makes my hair surprisingly soft after it gets dull from product build-up.

I haven't straightened since March.

Neith I know nothing about the sulfate amounts in Giovanni. WHere can i find out?

Just look at the ingredients in back. The stronger sulfates are Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth and Sodium Luaryl/Laureth sulfates.

Most other surfactants are more gentle...

A clarifying shampoo that isn't too harsh on the hair and is easy to find is V05 Kiwi lime shampoo. You can probably find it an any drugstore... it's cheap too.

fyi - giovanni shampoos don't have sulfates, but the clarifying shampoo has a stronger cleanser than the other shampoos, so you should be fine.

i would keep deep conditioning weekly. sometimes when your hair comes out of braids, it has to learn how to act like "hair" again. that has happened to me.

usually takes a few weeks of deep conditioning. i usually use a reconstructor the first week and follow with a moisturizing conditioner. then deep moisture treatments weekly until my hair acts right again.

it has taken me up to 6-8 weeks to get my hair to retrain itself.....this is when my hair was not relaxed.

Back