Hair Growth And Needs Change As You Age?

levette

I really believe your hair grows fastest in your youth, 20s and perhaps 30s but may slow down as you reach the 40's and each decade afterwards. Hairlines recede, hair may shed more, perhaps slower growth rate..Do you defy the odds and keep on pressing on with hair health or just accept that your hair probably won't be as long or full as when you were younger or am I wrong altogether?

If one was to divide my hair horizontally from ear to ear, you would find that the top half is curly, silky and normal. The bottom half from my ears down is also silky but wavy and super fine. I have accepted that my hair will never appear full from root to tip because the fine hair will always look thinner than the normal strands. This is especially noticeable since I have layers.

This has nothing to do with age, but I have learned to accept my hair for what it can and can't do or be.

In an attempt to make it appear fuller, I am growing out the top layers to kind of over shadow the bottom fine half.

I say keep on pressing on but do so with knowing your hair's abilities.

I'm in my early 30s and I can already see a major change in my hair. My strands are much softer and finer than they used to be. My growth rate seems to have slowed a bit as well. I was averaging around 4 inches of growth a year and now I'm lucky to get 3. I'm not talking about retention...I'm talking about the hair that grows out of my scalp. I will just continue taking care of my hair and scalp to the best of my abilities as I get older.

IMO, what may or may not happen will differ from person to person, and one of the best indicators of what can occur lies with one’s older female relatives. Looking at my late older female relatives, they all seemed to have fine, low density hair that didn’t show any signs of aging other than turning gray. Even amongst my sisters, who are 52, 57 and 61, there isn’t any receding hairlines, thinning or increased shedding. As for myself, even though I wasn’t particularly abrasive with my hair (notwithstanding the foam rollers in the 1970s, the Sun-In in the 1980s and the daily bouts with a curling iron during the 1990s), it didn’t grow as fast in my early years as it does now in my 40s, i.e., I cut my hair to SL in March and it’s past APL now. It also would shed more; I used to have big, palm-sized balls of hair at the end of each wash day, which starkly contrasts the usual quarter to fifty cent piece-sized mounds of today. IOW, my hair is in better shape now than it was when I was younger, and looking at my sisters and remembering my mother and aunts, I’m pretty confident that it will remain that way for the remainder of my lifespan.

Still, the best advice I can offer anyone with concerns for the future is to continue focusing on their hair’s health while remaining flexible to change, e.g., if someone’s hairline starts to recede, consider alternate styling methods, such as bangs and side sweeps. The key is to not freak out because being on a HHJ can sometimes cause paranoia to the surface. Be willing to accept whatever change that comes and adapt. For instance, I’m in the process of embracing my gray hairs. They are white to silver and sparkly as all get-out. I cannot hide them and I’m not in the mood for dyes or hennas. Initially, I hated them; then, I resented them. Now, I'm embracing them and it’s been interesting, and I still frequently stop to pick the “lint” out of my hair before I realize that it’s one of the grays.:lol: Just ride the wave and you’ll be fine.

IMO, what may or may not happen will differ from person to person, and one of the best indicators of what can occur lies with one’s older female relatives. Looking at my late older female relatives, they all seemed to have fine, low density hair that didn’t show any signs of aging other than turning gray. Even amongst my sisters, who are 52, 57 and 61, there isn’t any receding hairlines, thinning or increased shedding. As for myself, even though I wasn’t particularly abrasive with my hair (notwithstanding the foam rollers in the 1970s, the Sun-In in the 1980s and the daily bouts with a curling iron during the 1990s), it didn’t grow as fast in my early years as it does now in my 40s, i.e., I cut my hair to SL in March and it’s past APL now. It also would shed more; I used to have big, palm-sized balls of hair at the end of each wash day, which starkly contrasts the usual quarter to fifty cent piece-sized mounds of today. IOW, my hair is in better shape now than it was when I was younger, and looking at my sisters and remembering my mother and aunts, I’m pretty confident that it will remain that way for the remainder of my lifespan.

Still, the best advice I can offer anyone with concerns for the future is to continue focusing on their hair’s health while remaining flexible to change, e.g., if someone’s hairline starts to recede, consider alternate styling methods, such as bangs and side sweeps. The key is to not freak out because being on a HHJ can sometimes cause paranoia to the surface. Be willing to accept whatever change that comes and adapt. For instance, I’m in the process of embracing my gray hairs. They are white to silver and sparkly as all get-out. I cannot hide them and I’m not in the mood for dyes or hennas. Initially, I hated them; then, I resented them. Now, I'm embracing them and it’s been interesting, and I still frequently stop to pick the “lint” out of my hair before I realize that it’s one of the grays.:lol: Just ride the wave and you’ll be fine.
Right now I use hair rinses usually brown or black.. I want long hair but it's hard to grow out as I have gotten older

I think that it varies for each person. If you did not take any medications for chronic conditions that affected hair growth in your youth and are taking meds now, the meds may be partially responsible, as well as if you are experiencing or have experienced menopausal hormonal changes. In my own youth, I never had particularly thick, long hair. It was alway very fine, low to medium density, variable curl patterns and no longer than the top of my shoulders. When I started going through menopause, I experienced a lot of shedding and some thinning and regrowth. It was rather erratic until I finished going through the change. Now, in terms of density, curl and texture, it's pretty much like it was when I was younger again but with gray hairs in the front and scattered grays elsewhere. But, it is also much, much longer due to learning proper care that I did not know in my youth. I'm now in my late 50s, and I still plan on continuing to grow my hair to the maximum it will grow. It remains to be seen what that will be. I say if you want longer hair as an older person, go for it! Just be prepared to make the necessary adjustments in handling, products and styling to achieve your goals.

Back