Hair grows in a V shape?

kking7777

Just wondering why is it when your hair starts growing down your back. It seems to grow in a v shape??? Do you ladies understand this?

No, I've not understood this. It must be due to the shape of our heads and that the back lower section tends to grow the longest than the rest? I know for me, when I'm due for a touch up, I have more growth in the back. Can't explain that specific 'v' though...

No, I don't understand it either but I think it's cute
grin.gif

All the indiviual hairs do not grow at once, but the "V" shape is said to be the natural growth pattern on women's heads. It appears that as long as you see that V the hair is telling you that there is more to come.
laugh.gif
I sure hope that is true.
grin.gif
:Bonjour.

So you really think that a V shape is a good sign more hair is coming to fill in the space????? If that is the case then I don't mind a V shape
grin.gif

My hair grows like this naturally..But it's more of a rounder V like a U...I trim around this and keep my natural hair shape..I've tried to even it out before and lost length...

I'm just wondering...maybe if you gradually trim the V-shape across, if you would then eventually get the squared off shape? You know, straight across or rounded?
look.gif

No, you would be cutting off hair and losing inches..Trust me, I did this..If your hair NATURALLY grows this way, it's very difficult to change..And if you have a specific hair goal in mind, then it wouldn't benefit you to do so..You could do so AFTER reaching the hair goal..Maybe that might work, if you really want that hair shape..

Another thing that helped me was moisturizing the shorter hairs that make the shape more of a V..This helped them grow longer and made the U shape..But my hair does not grow straight across either..

Well I think the V shape is cute. I would rather have a U shape but as long as my hair reaches bra strap soon I will take a Z shape if I have too.
laugh.gif

I would say just keep doing dusting trimms and then when you reach your goal then get it cut even b/c you lose alot of length when it's cut straight across.

Mine does this too and my advice is don't let some scissor happy stylist try to trim it straight across because you will lose length AND if this is your hair's growth pattern--it will grow right back the same way
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well I think the V shape is cute. I would rather have a U shape but as long as my hair reaches bra strap soon I will take a Z shape if I have too.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I agree!!!!! Anyway with breakage and shedding, it's hard to get all your hair to be exactly the same. I have this one small section of hair that's racing the others to get to bra strap length.

kking,

Yes, I understand this because I wear braids. I precut all of the synthetic hair and when I am done the back is in a V-shape. The natural hairline in the back is what causes this. For example, all of the pieces hang 12" then it will fall in the pattern of the back of your head. The actual hair is even but it hangs differently because the very back of your hair doesn't grow straight across.

It is true that you will lose a lot of length if you try to even it up. I personally like this look and just leave it alone.

HTH

Happy hair growing to us all!

NubianQueen

[ QUOTE ]
No, you would be cutting off hair and losing inches..Trust me, I did this..If your hair NATURALLY grows this way, it's very difficult to change..And if you have a specific hair goal in mind, then it wouldn't benefit you to do so..You could do so AFTER reaching the hair goal..Maybe that might work, if you really want that hair shape..

Another thing that helped me was moisturizing the shorter hairs that make the shape more of a V..This helped them grow longer and made the U shape..But my hair does not grow straight across either..

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same thing as you..it's nature...why fight it. When I reach bra strap...I plan on keeping it at that length...so eventually it will be straight across. But I think the 'v' or 'u' shape is very pretty.

Hey, I thought I was the only one. My hair has always grown in the "V" shape and I am quite fond of it. For some reason, the point is always longer than the rest of my hair. The last time I got my ends trimmed the stylist deleted my V so now I have a slight U. But from experience, I know it'll grow back.

I think hair that grows in a V shape is pretty. This picture is from the Biosynthesis web site. I think her hair looks great.

stephanie.jpg

My hair grows in a V shape also. I used to go to a stylist who made a comment about it and proceeded to cut it, I never even questioned her, her comment was made in a tone like something was wrong. I now know better. I think it could be from sleeping on my sides or wrapping my hair (for so many years)...

Funny that hair naturally grows in a U or V shape. Stylists always cut the hair straight across in the back!!! I guess I wouldn't even know if my hair was growing in a V shape, cuz he trims it straight across after every touchup...
frown.gif

Because the hair with the age 16 begins to grow a V-shape when she cares too much or loves hers.

I wonder how C. Howse did her hair the U- or straight-shape.

I usta wonder the same thing!

My hair grew in a V-shape for the longest. I gradually trimmed the V out until it was no longer apparent.

-lee

Let's say hypothetically all hair grows at the same rate. Think about it the hair at the back of your head is closer to your neck therefore any growth there will be noticed quickly.
The sides of the head consists of FACE! LOL so no hair grows there the hair has to grow from the top and it has to be longer then the hair at the back to notice a difference.

Therefore the back hair will always appear to be longer.

Let's see if I can clarify this. Basically the hair in the back of your head is on the bottom of your head...therefore any growth there will appear to be more or longer then the hair that grows from the top of your head. It has more to do with the position of your follicles on your head.....understand? or am I confusing everyone????

I believe this is why my hair has never past shoulder length. Mind you my hair grows.. but my sides grow at a snail's pace while the back grows like crazy. Those darn hairdressers always trim it across.

Zora,

Tell those scissor happy stylists to leave your hair alone! See that is why I do my own hair I can't stand going to get it done, I always come out looking like James Brown or something.

I WISH MY HAIR GREW IN A "V". I have to cut it to a V shape because that's what I prefer,unforturnatly it grows in a U. Much longer on the sides than in the middle. I hate this pattern,I lose inches but I would rather have cuter hair than just longer hair.

Back