Hair Gets Easier Over Time

krissyhair

For example, detangling used to be difficult. Now all it takes is a little bit of water and conditioner. And although I've been natural since the early 2000s, the past 6 months or so the health of my hair has taken off so much that it takes minimal effort to get it to do right. Length helps make styling easier too. The ends don't tangle up like they used to, even without a trim.

I fully agree. When I'm on top of my hair, it's really a breeze to thru my wash routine. But it's a holy terror when I haven't. That's my incentive to be consistent.

I feel like once people get down their regimen (the process) and they down some staples in some categories then they find their hair easier to do. Even if you don't have staples in all categories, having it in some makes you hair "act" better because you're not throwing a lot of foreign things at it trying to guess which one is going to make it work right and products are not competing with each other.

Also, the more people learn about their hair the easier it becomes because they learn not to expect things to happen that it just won't do. I've heard this sentiment echoed pretty much everywhere in real life and on beauty/hair boards but people are determined to try and make fetch happen :lol: There are varying degrees of what people's routines/wash days look like but I find that people [on this board] are usually happier when they come to terms with what their hair really is and what to expect from it.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Can your hair do more things now that it couldn't before when it was less healthy?

Btw I wish I could fix the typo on the title.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Can your hair do more things now that it couldn't before when it was less healthy?

Btw I wish I could fix the typo on the title.

I don't try to do styles because ... I just don't :lol: I don't know why... My hair lays better now that it's healthier so I don't have to really do anything to it. I pretty much keep it in a bun/clip/up in some way until it gets a bit longer. I notice, even when I have it down, it's not all crazy looking. I can comb through it in a few seconds and it's just fine.

This is my fourth year natural and it's my best year yet. Wash day has been simplified, I started finger detangling and my products are all holy grail status. No more trial and error or frustrating detangling sessions. It truly does get better if you keep trying.
:amen:
...but as my hair grows, working with it gets harder on my arms. I work in sections and raking and smoothing thru this stuff is tiring. At times it's like I'm at the gym, on a break from an intense set of reps. I stand in the shower w/my arms dangling 'til I get my second wind. Wouldn't change it for the world though.

@nothidden I'm transitioning and it's becoming harder and harder on my back. I have a problematic back as-is, dealing with my hair at this stage is only making it worse. I'm considering cutting some of the length to make things a bit easier to manage.

@nothidden I'm transitioning and it's becoming harder and harder on my back. I have a problematic back as-is, dealing with my hair at this stage is only making it worse. I'm considering cutting some of the length to make things a bit easier to manage.
Oh, wow. Does it matter if you work on it standing or sitting?

My hair has actually become more problematic with time (and the increased length) as I already have fine low porosity hair that gets more fragile, tangly, and higher porosity with time and then stalls. I'm hoping I've finally had a breakthrough with my hair but only the end of summer and hopefully some good progress will tell

My hair has actually become more problematic with time (and the increased length) as I already have fine low porosity hair that gets more fragile, tangly, and higher porosity with time and then stalls. I'm hoping I've finally had a breakthrough with my hair but only the end of summer and hopefully some good progress will tell

I hope you find your stride. Sending out good energy :flowers:

I have baby textured fine hair too. My ends were always problematic until recently.

I have baby textured fine hair too. My ends were always problematic until recently.

Any recs to share? I tried komaza's protein tx on my ends and a mix of silk & bamboo protein to the upper 1/3rd of my length and that helps a great deal but doesn't completely stop the breakage and tangling.

Please tell me this is true. I can see styling getting easier. You can chuck longer thicker hair into a bun or puff and it look fabulous but shorter to midlength hair needs a little more work to look presentable.
But I don't see how care and maintenance can get easier as your hair gets longer. Maybe with experience?

@llan, easier maintenance with experience has been the case for me.

I know what I need for the most part so I dont waste time doing extra things. I can also troubleshoot better so I don't freak out when I see breakage. I just fix it.

Any recs to share? I tried komaza's protein tx on my ends and a mix of silk & bamboo protein to the upper 1/3rd of my length and that helps a great deal but doesn't completely stop the breakage and tangling.

I think the time for the health to improve was the main factor.

Sub factors are cutting down on heat use dramatically, getting 1 good trim, and finding a good detangling method. Mine is to detangle on soaking wet hair with conditioner, fingers first then denman.

Please tell me this is true. I can see styling getting easier. You can chuck longer thicker hair into a bun or puff and it look fabulous but shorter to midlength hair needs a little more work to look presentable.
But I don't see how care and maintenance can get easier as your hair gets longer. Maybe with experience?
For me it got easier because it forced me to put my foot down when it came to product junky-ism, sticking w/what I know works, and switching my regimen. This is more than half the battle. My only issue is my arms tiring while styling, which to me is a given, comes w/the territory of growth. I can remedy this by chopping down to a TWA, but I choose not to.

It's easier because I don't have to think anymore. My product staples and regimen work.

I have fine hair but it's no longer baby fine. I focused on my ends by using JBCO often - while steaming, under deep conditioner and a drop while twisting my hair up. I suspect that this technique works with most oils.

What's your moisture products and usage like? Protein can cause as much breakage as its preventing.

My products are mostly moisture based with only 1/4 of my treatments being medium protein (silk and wheat protein or cassia); so if I dc 4 weekends a month three of those will be with something like steaming with tgin honey mask, ssi avocado conditioner with light oils, or curl junkie curl rehab. Every 2 months I'll use a heavier protein treatment with keratin protein or henna and following with a moisturizing dc. in between DCs I usually do twists into a ponytail or bun and mist with water 1 - 2 times a week depending on moisture level. I'm not really an experimenter except with DCs but that's because I don't think I've found one (till now) that gave lasting moisture.

Back