Hair Emergency Please Respond (Dreads from Braids)!!!

I just have to say that you are a really great friend to tackle her hair.

The only advice I have is to make sure she detangles her entire head before putting any water on it. it seems like miamori knows what shes doing. combing each section a few times then twisting it is a great idea.

I took out micros after 3 weeks and didn't detangle. shampooing made it a hot mess and i didn't have the patience to pick at it, needless to say, i lost a lot of hair.

ETA: in my opinion, beautiful hair takes work and if she isn't capable of caring for her own hair, maybe she shouldn't have any. cutting it short wouldn't be a bad idea in this case.

Last edited:
I've posted some. Thanks ladies for all of your help! I've gotten 1/4 of it done, but that took four hours and I have an exam to study for so I don't know when I'm going to find time to do the rest. We've all suspected that there is something wrong with her, but we never thought too much about it until now. I suggested getting a wig, but I doubt she'll do it.

Does she seem depressed about something or anxious? How is the rest of her hygiene....was this a sudden or gradual change? What about her close relationships (any break-ups or fallouts). I''m just trying to figure out where her mind is right now because her behavior does not fit someone who is in a mentally healthy state. I'm not here to judge, but I recognize the signs of mental illness and it seems as though she is going through a depression. I'm SURE her hair had to smell after not being washed for 10 months..especially if she was using grease, braid spray, etc. Why have you suspected that something was wrong before now?

You're a very good friend for being so concerned about her and I want to see her get the help that she needs. Maybe she came to you for a reason...

eta: I'm assuming that based on the pic, her hair wasn't braided with extension? Do you know if she was purposefully trying to loc her hair...they look similar to braided freeform locs that I've seen? Many people mistakenly believe that you can't wash your hair if you're attempting to start locs and wash infrequently as well

Last edited:
Her hair was braided with extensions. The pictures make the situation look better than it is because of the conditioner. After I put the conditioner in there was an immediate difference. I haven't known her for that long, we're both freshman in college. My friends and I realized something was wrong with her when she started chasing after a new guy every week and lied about the type of relationship she had with them. I know what to do with her hair, but with mental issues, I just don't know...

not being funny or anything, but from the pics you posted it looks like she would have some beautiful dreads

if she is not willing/capable of taking care of her hair, maybe freeform dreads could work for her? all she'd have to do is wash and separate

Her mom keeps telling her to get some more braids so she doesn't want to keep the dreads. I've gotten halfway through her head so far. She's only willing to wait two weeks before she gets some more braids so I'm trying to decide what to do with her hair during those two weeks. I'm thinking of trying to do twists or a curlynikki twist-n-curl or some kind of twist out bun to give her hair a break. Her hair isn't even accepting the conditioner so I think her porosity is all screwed up. I'm going to try an acv rinse to help out with that. Sunshinelady the dreads are really dirty and frankly disgusting. I get the creepy crawlies just thinking about them...I will keep you ladies posted and thanks a million times over for the responses. If you have an ideas of what I can do during the two weeks before she gets some more braids please let me know! Also if you have any braids regime to keep her hair clean and moisturized please let me know as well!

Last edited:
Her hair was braided with extensions. The pictures make the situation look better than it is because of the conditioner. After I put the conditioner in there was an immediate difference. I haven't known her for that long, we're both freshman in college. My friends and I realized something was wrong with her when she started chasing after a new guy every week and lied about the type of relationship she had with them. I know what to do with her hair, but with mental issues, I just don't know...

Since you're on a college campus I'd stop by the health center/counseling office and let one of the counselors know, you can just say you're concerned for your friend for reason a, b, c...not washing your hair for ten months is abnormal behavior and she needs some help.

I got all of the dreads out Tuesday, but I was way too tired to do anything because of exams and presentations. Well Friday I washed and conditioned her hair. I blow dried it and twisted it and rolled the twists. I really didn't know what to do with her hair because she basically has no hair on the sides and in the middle. The braids took a lot of her hair out. She just has these little fuzzy patches. The next morning I put her hair in a faux puff and a headband to cover the sides. I had to use bobby pins to make her hair look fuller than it actually was. My friend was laughing because she said that was the first time that I didn't know what to do with someone's hair lol

And you had exams and presentations!.....girl, you are way better than me. High five to you!

0h-0kay i see but dont ever leave them in that long and possibly 4-5 months at the most.

?! Even that seems too long. Dreads happened to me and my braids were only in for 45 days. And that was only because I was deployed to the middle of a desert and had no choice! I had 4 friends in my head trying to get them out. I was almost in tears. I basically just tore through them to get them out. Its only by the grace of God that I still had a full head of hair (and retained length) after that ordeal.

Regardless to her issues, you are a GOOD friend. :yep: I hope she realized what your expertise with the help of LHCF has done. I hope that she be OK with whatever life is dealing her.

Her momma on the other hand, needs this :spank:

You are a great person and a fabulous friend. Regardless of the fact that she may have some mental issues, you went full steam ahead and helped her anyway. Many people would have talked a good game but never follow through.

You are truly special and I am being sincere when I say the world would be a better place with more of you around.

You have fabulous hair yourself....

Back