Hair Dyes

• Thread starter Thread starter AmilLion
  • Start date Start date
A

AmilLion

How are you ladies. I have a question. I would like to dye my hair, but I've always have problems with this in the past. What do you suggest that's either natural or gentle to use on the hair?

a warm brown tone with streakss or just streaks kind of like Sunshine's hair.

I would get the color applied as highlights (less damage and upkeep) and use a permanent color as opposed to bleach or a professional lightener.

Unless you are very experienced at applying color (or in the alternative, are very brave /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I would go to a professional for this service. A nice reddish auburn with a hint of gold should produce the results that Sunshine got (which I agree are lovely). I like Textures and Tones color best because on me it yeilded the best results with the least damage.

I used it over a relaxer, highlights and have since applied a long lasting semi-permanent color which contains some peroxide and my hair has held up well. I attribute this to the lack of ammonia and the overall formulation of the T&T color...

Perhaps Sunshine could give you some tips as well as it's her color that you covet? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck mamita...

Hey AmilLion. You guys are going to make me keep this color after all ( I was considering going back to black).

Achieving any color depends on what color you are starting with and the condition of your hair. My base color is almost a level 3, and has been ever since I've relaxed it.(1 is black and 10 is light blonde) With my highlights I chose to use creme bleach because I wanted to achieve a noticable contrast with the lowest possible volume of peroxide(aka developer) in the shortest amount of time. To get my hair to lift(get lighter) with a permanant color I would have had to use 20 volume at least, and leave it in a while to let it process.

The lower the peroxide volume, the shorter the time, the least amount of damage.

I literally applied the bleach to the area and as soon as I finished folding the last foil I went right back to the first foil and took it right back out (5-7min total). Relaxed hair lifts very fast! Using 20vol and leaving it in too long would have made them brassy and super fragile; this is the way they taught me to do highlights in school( I'd like to take this opportunity to say sorry to the girl that I did that to at school /images/graemlins/frown.gif ,I didn't know better then!). Natural hair can take that, not relaxed---and many stylists may not realize that. I like highlights because I got a lighter look without having to color my whole head, I just did the crown. I would never suggest trying to highlight your own hair, I shouldn't have done it myself, but just like in the "Things you Hate..."thread, it's a hassle trying to get a stylist to do something your way.

My takes very quickly especially when it come to color. My natural hair color would be about a #2. However, when I took out my braids and weave it was jet black and the sun or whatever keeps lightening it. I just noticed not too long ago I found blond streaks in the back of my head.

You think I should just let the natural sunlight lighten my hair? Because I predict by summer, my hair will be about a #4 to #6 with streaks.

Is it the sun that causes this? Does anyone have any ideas? Honestly, I'm barely in the sun except in the mornings when heading to work and my hair isn't weak so I know that I'm not stripping my hair.

Tracy,

I have a question about color. My hair color is a Level 3, my hair type is 4a/b (I think). Anyway I'm going to have my stylist do Sebastian Colourshines on me in Dec. I liked the look that the Ginger color gave brownrelaxedhair in her pics, but I want something more dramatic. I went to their site to pick one.
Would using Red-Ality or maybe Reddissimo work for me, or would it just be weird or not change my color at all?

Here is the link: Sebastians Red

AmilLion,

Did you ever consider low-lights? If your hair is light you could put darker streaks in. You wouldn't even necessarily need to use a permanent color. Just a thought. Also if your hair is not that dark you could do the highlights the way that Tracy said because you won't have far to lift. Let me know what you think. ----Sunshine

To be honest with you, you may have read my post about african american female stylist (I know i know) but honestly speaking I rather come directly to you Sunshine. You seem to really know your colors unlike some stylist who opens and box and throws on color. I really like the effect that your hair has. *SMILE* and especially being that your in Harlem and I'm in Harlem...I think I'll have to me a trip to see someone *SMILE AGAIN*

Can you e-mail me your contacts and I'll e-mail you mine. I'll probably have this process done in about 5 months, spring time you know, nice new color for the season, but I don't want to lose touch with you.

[email protected]

Thanks a million (<---check that out lol)

I'm the unofficial Loreal Feria spokesperson (Beyonce step aside!) This is all I use (boxed kind/not the salon one). No damage so far - it is very gentle. I used it on my relaxed hair and love it. It automatically gives you a shade with a variety of highlights. There are a number of beautiful brown shades tha give you golden highlights. The results are more amazing than what any hairstylist could do.

Back