Hair Dyes-Yay or Nay???

How do you feel about permanent hair color.

• Total voters

ronakajones

I have had awful experiences with dyes. I feel that hair dye have been the heaviest contendor to my breakage and shedding. How would you rate you experiences with dying?

I have had both positive and negative experiences but it depends on the dye.

Demi permanent and semi permanent colors can actually help condition the hair depending on the hair type.

Most dye mistakes come from dying unhealthy hair, not taking care of it afterwards and not knowing when to go to a professional colorist; your regular ol stylist is not a colorist.

I'll state upfront, I've always dyed my hair at home, which, to be fair, might have been 50% of my problem. :lachen:

My hair hates dye. Oh, for the first month or two, it's lovely! Smoother, shiner, silkier, fabulous color, all the good things.

Then, the breakage starts. Then, the dryness comes in. I really think that my main issues previously with dealing with my natural hair was because of the Black Cherry color I was using on it, NOT because my hair sucked. Then, it gets hard. And pissed off, generally.

*sigh*

So, no.

I've been tempted a few times to try for an Aveda professional color job - but - it's really not worth it for me. It's too much of a crapshot - sure, my hair could love it, but there is just as good of a chance that it will HATE it, and there goes 26 months of progress down the drain.

Henna (and indigo, if I ever go there) will be the only dyes that touch my hair, from now forward. I've already come to terms with going gray gracefully (I'm in my 30's, so if it happens now, I feel like I've earned em! :lol:) so that won't be an issue.

Semi permanents are cool. Like rinses. I rinse my hair!:yep:
Dye is the devil, for me!:nono::nono::nono::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: My hair hates them. I always get it, and I fully regret it afterwards. My hair is fine, and thin, with relaxer, and almost all of it disintegrates to nothing in about a couple of weeks. No sireee, Bob!

Demi-color hasn't hurt me. I've tried drugstore and gone to an Aveda Salon.

Permanent color WILL NEVER touch my head since my experience with Bigen. And THAT is a "safe" permanent...if by safe you mean causes cancer and eventually breaks your hair off.

Demi-colors works for me. I like my jet black hair and when I want more of a coffee, burgundy, or gold hue Demi's the way to go.

Though right now I'm just letting it do its normal lightening to auburn with the summer months. I may go dark again for winter. I love jet black hair against crisp white snow.

Now only if I could like snow I'd be set. :lachen:

I refuse to let ya'll tempt me with this demi-color, you speak of.....:nono:

:look:

How is it better/different?

It has just enough peroxide to put the color just in the hair's cuticle. Permanent colors RIP OUT what you have then SHOVE in the new color. Butchers your hair's protein bonds. Awful.

Demi is much less ppunishing, which is why it can't lighten. It may give a strong sheen lighter than your current shade but is mainly used to deepen your natural color or give it a colored sheen with AWESOME shine.

I have a review of one in my Color album (See my fotki).

It has just enough peroxide to put the color just in the hair's cuticle. Permanent colors RIP OUT what you have then SHOVE in the new color. Butchers your hair's protein bonds. Awful.

Demi is much less ppunishing, which is why it can't lighten. It may give a strong sheen lighter than your current shade but is mainly used to deepen your natural color or give it a colored sheen with AWESOME shine.

I have a review of one in my Color album (See my fotki).

:look: :look: :look:

Ooooooooh. That sounds. Yummy. :lick:

Hrm. I'll have to look into those.

Thank you!

Demi color uses 10vol developer. That is strong enough just to open the cuticle some for better color penetration. Demi colors are great for people with low porosity which is what I meant by some color can be benefical for certain hair types. Demi gives hair more body too.

Back