Hair dilema...needs a little advice

Sexyred

I am currently texlaxed before I was natural for 4 years. I can no longer maintain my curly hair because I have realised that my hair needs to be straight to avoid major single strand knots and tangling which seem to be derailing my growth. I am about 1 inch past arm pit length. I want to go straigther not necessarily bone straight but close to it. The problem is that some parts of my hair like the ends and the front are straight and I am thinking should I go to a salon to get my relaxer done since they go a lot faster in applying the chemical than I can and I am also afraid of really damaging my hair. I wont be relaxing until March 2011 beecause I will be in braids until then, so it is way off. I am just confused I guess so I would like some suggestions now. I am asking if anyone else has had a similar experience and how it turned out? If you have done this please share your experience or leave a comment. TIA

Last edited:
If you are set on going straighter your safest bet might be to go to a salon, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. But make sure you make it clear to the person you go to that you do not want it to be bone straight.

I am not really sure what your question is. But I def agree with what IntheMix08 said. Do what is most comfortabel for you and really make sure the lines of communication are clear with your stylist. When you get the single strand knots is it when you are detangling when /after washing or just every day. Have you explored using heat to straighten and to make you hair more manageable?

@bbdgirl I get SSK all the time it does not matter what style condition my hair is in only when straigth is it drastically reduced or non-existant. I tried heat training but I just end up with split ends and my darn iron wasnt even set on high. so no heat training. I do remember that when I was relaxed in the past I did not get split ends or SSK's. I guess I was asking if anyone else experienced a similar situation and how the handled it?

Last edited:
If you can find someone who understands exactly what you want AND you see them apply a relaxer you may have to do it your self. If you are set on going to a salon then heavily base the sections that are straighter so there will be no mistakes.

IF you have to do it yourself you are going to have to plan out (write down a list)exactly what you want.

You already know which areas are straighter so first off you are going to need to apply a heavy coating of vaseline to those areas.
You will have to do your corrective in sections.
If you can set up a mirror to see the back of your head then do so. This is what I do and I am able to apply my relaxer in the back in only 7 minutes.

These are just a few suggestions, in the end it is totally up to you.

I am thinking should I go to a salon to get my relaxer done since they go a lot faster in applying the chemical than I can

I agree with the other ladies that you should go to a salon for the faster application approach. Personally, I do my own relaxers in sections, but I am slower. Since you're already texlaxed, you only need like 5 more minutes, and a professional who does it all day every day has faster fingers. I would tell her what you want before you start to clear up any confusion.

My cousin did this, she has BSL/ MBL (I'm not sure) hair but it was underprocessed for a long time from an unlicensed "stylist". The new stylist convinced her to go straighter. She was given a deep conditioning in the same visit. She did lose strands of hair after that, but after about 2 weeks she stopped seeing whole strands in her comb.

Back