Hair Coloring Questions

FlawedBeauty

1. Is it possible to color hair w/o doing serious damage to it?

2. Can one sucessfully color w/o causing a crap load of breakage?

3. Can I get some recommendations on hair color that is good that i can pick up at a store, temp or permanent?

I'm dyin to color my hair but dont wanna deal w/henna cuz i doubt it will give me the color i want and i wanna do it TODAY!! :) TIA

I color my hair with semi-permanent color (aka a rinse). They're gentle, so they're pretty safe imo. My favorite right now is Sebastian Colourshines.

Now some people have a problem with hair dyes (permanent color). I've known some folks to get extremely dry from using permanent color. I've used permanent color once (Clairol's Textures and Tones in Cocoa Brown), but my hair didn't dry out or suffer any negative effects.

I last colored my hair w/ Bigen in Oriental Black, and it did not damage nor dry my hair out AT ALL. You can get it from any BSS or Wal-mart I think. I did color my hair with Loreal before and it jacked my hair up. It was soooooooooo dry and brittle.

Clairol's Textures and Tones can be purchased from CVS, Walmart, Target and from bss.

Sebastian Colourshines can be purchased from some bss (considered a professional product).

HTH.

FlawedBeauty said:
1. Is it possible to color hair w/o doing serious damage to it?

Yes it is possible if you use a hair color that is very gentle on the hair.

2. Can one sucessfully color w/o causing a crap load of breakage?

Yes as long as your take extra care of your hair by maintaining a balance of protein and moisture. I do weekly deep conditioning without no heat and do a monthly protein/henna treatment. To be on the safe side I also incorporate protein shampoos to go along with moisturizing poos.

3. Can I get some recommendations on hair color that is good that i can pick up at a store, temp or permanent?

Clairol Textures and Tones (permanent) Beautiful collection (temporary/semi permanent), Creme of Nature/Alter Ego (permanent), Adore (semi-permanent) are the best brands that have I used.

ive never colored my hair but i have heard that its bets to find a deep conditioner that does not have any ammonia or peroxide. and deep conditioning and moisture are a must with colored hair.

I think as long as no bleach is involved, you should be okay. I usually use semi-permanent rinses such as Jazzings or Beautiful Collection. I always make moisture a must.

I haven't had any problems with color but I do agree that you have to take extra care of your hair. I deep condition twice a week and moisturize daily. My hair hasn't suffered from dryness or breakage. I use Clairol's Textures and Tones in Bronze.

***waits for Tracy to answer***

In my personal experience, you can successfully maintain colored hair but what you do before and after you color makes the difference. The major thing to remember like the ladies have already said is CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION. Relaxed and colored hair needs lots of moisture but also good amounts of protien as well. Relaxing and coloring really takes a tool on the hair shaft so protien on a regular is a must.

I am a color junkie and what I have found to work to give me my color "fix" without wrecking my hair is to get highlights about two shades lighter than my hair every 6 months to a year. Then what I do is rinse my hair with adore rinses or henna to change my color. I am really liking henna for this right now because it helps reinforce my hair and changes my color as I see fit. Whenever I do color, I use ors hair mayo about a week before my color. For the first month after I color, I deep condition twice a week and rollerset only. No direct heat at all and I moisturize it daily. After the first month I go back to deep conditioning once a week. I am currently growing out some colored hair from a bad salon exprience. That hair is no my ends and I can tell a visible difference from that hair and the rest of my hair that is still colored but was treated a whole lot better. Also my ends from that bad experience where dyed with some harsh ammonia and I was not properly conditioned on a regular basis after that.

Clairol Textures& Tones is great for the color you want( I use to use the cherrywood. Loved it!) For black, Bigen is best.

Back