Hair color question!!!

Wanda

It is time to wash and conditioner my hair again. I want to put in a light brown cellophane(sp?). Do I wash first then apply the color before I condition or do I wash and condition and then apply color. Also, is cellophane by Adore any good or is Jazzy the best?

I recently had my 2nd Adore rinse put in and I love it. I have tried French Cognac which turned my brown hair a pretty auburn and a red color (I think it was Ruby Red).

I like Adore because it doesn't come off on my clothes like Jazzing does. I think Jazzing may stay in a little longer though.

When I put the color in... I wash and condition (rinse the conditioner out and towel dry)... put the color in (sit under a dryer for about 10 mins or so)...then do one last wash to get rid of some of the excess color.

Hopefully Tracy will answer your post though... she's the guru!

Thursday girl, what is your natural hair colour? Mine is off black, and I used an Adore rinse in copper red and it didn't even show up in the sunlight. Which colurs do you think would show up on dark hair?

Hi Wanda,

I too do what ThursdayGirl does: wash and condition before I put in the Cellophane. Adore doesn't make Cellophanes - Sebastian's does. Sometimes people call it Colourshines as well. It's Sebastian's Colourshines by Cellophanes. Lol - more than you probably wanted to know, huh?
smirk.gif

Anyway, the one mistake I made once was to slap conditioner mixed with olive oil on my hair after the Cellophanes - took a lot of color out. Actually, I've noticed that olive oil does that to my temporary color whether I apply it as a preshampoo treatment or post-shampoo mixed with conditioner. So Beware.

Hopefully, Tracy will see this post. I enjoy reading her posts.

I'm definately not a color guru, but I always make sure I have deep conditioned a couple days in advance, but I put the color on clean, shampooed hair, and then condition afterwards. I feel that I get more even coverage that way.

Sebastian cellophanes also has a clear one (yes, it is the same as a clear rinse). Currently, it's the one I prefer although I've used other colors. I got this link from Allandra - it's the least expensive online price for cellophanes and it has a range of colors: Hair Products Outlet

If I understand your question -please correct me if I don't- yes, Cellophane is a brand of rinse and it comes in a wide variety of color rinses, as well as a clear rinse.

I think the difference is how the color is deposited. Cellophanes (Colourshines, but also Jazzing I think-I could be wrong about Jazzing)coat the hair and give it a tint... kinda like how if you wrap a carrot in colored saran wrap it will change the color of the carrot a little - give it a tint.

Other kinds of color (I suspect Adore is like this) deposit color on/in the hair cuticle. That's why you use heat-to lift the cuticle and some of the color gets trapped there, but eventually washes away. Permanent color, penetrates the hair shaft and undergoes a chemical change... (i.e. the dye particles get bigger and become trapped.) so the color can't be removed by simple washing.

Sithembile-I'm not sure what color you would use. My natural hair is a medium-dark brown color. Seems like Tracy gave someone a recommendation a few months ago about a color to use. It was a red, but I think it was Colourshines. I'm kinda new to Adore, so I can't make a rec. Tracy might have an idea of what would be good. Sorry.

Why Wanda,
wave.gif

You would wash, deep condition, apply the color, shampoo once if you want, rinse and apply a light detagling conditioner then rinse again and style as desired.

What's your natural haircolor though? I don't like Jazzing at all. My preference are Adore and Sebastian. Sebastian is the brand that makes the "cellophane" product - which is just a rinse. They call it colorSHINES now actually.

HTH
smile.gif

Thanks alot ladies. Tracy, my natural hair color is dark brown and I wanted to give it some shine and lighten it a litt.e. I did see a list of some of the colors and I wanted to know if you can recommend some. ie...cognac,copper brown....any suggestions.!!!!

Adding: The difference between Sebastian Colorshines and the rest is that the formula is more translucent. The color that is depostied is more see through - the other brands are more opaque. ThursdayGirl's explanation abvoe was dead on w/ the carrot etc.

HTH
smile.gif

I thought that's what you'd say, love...

The problem is rinses can't lighten
frown.gif
All rinses only stain the cuticle. They all do the same thing mechanically speaking. It's just how the product is formulated that makes the difference.

I'll bump a thread called peroxide, bleach and ammonia or something like that
crazy.gif
where I gave a long explanation about color. You have to decide what you want to DO first as far as an end result and then decide what formula is right.

[ QUOTE ]
Other kinds of color (I suspect Adore is like this) deposit color on/in the hair cuticle. That's why you use heat-to lift the cuticle and some of the color gets trapped there, but eventually washes away.

[/ QUOTE ] I definitely agree about the depositing a tint but Cellophanes is also applied with heat and eventually washes away.
smile.gif

Does the Jazzing really come off on your clothes? And can anyone tell me the price of the Jazzing vs. Adore temporary rinse and can they both be purchased at Sally's. And lastly, I'm assuming that the temporary rinses don't damage the hair so would it be safe to press my hair afterwards?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

And I wanted to add that I have "black" hair, which isn't really black but a really dark brown. I wanted to get a black rinse to darken my hair and make itlook shinier. Is there any specific color I should look for?

[ QUOTE ]
Does the Jazzing really come off on your clothes? And can anyone tell me the price of the Jazzing vs. Adore temporary rinse and can they both be purchased at Sally's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it stains your clothes, your bathtub, your scalp, your hands (even when u have gloves on)... at least that was my experience. I hate jazzing. It can be purchased at Sally's. Sorry I dont know anything about Adore. Ashley
antlers.gif

AshCash is right it does come off on everything. For example, until I found Adore, I used to wear Ruby Red and Red Hot by Jazzing. In the summer I would have red or orange rings on the necks of my shirts (this looks horrible on white t-shirts). I loved the colors...but not walking around with ring around the collar...even if it was only hair dye. The stuff would wash out though. I haven't had this problem with Adore...except when my hair is wet, but that is to be expected.

They both cost about the same thing...maybe about a dollar or two difference (depending on where I buy. Jazzing 4-5 dollars, Adore 3.50-5 dollars). I haven't found Adore at Sally only Jazzing. I get Adore at the Black Beauty Supply stores.

Soul child: I haven't pressed my hair since I was 11, but my stylist uses the marcels on it...and I used curling irorns on it while I had the colors and it did fine.

Thursday girl, what is your natural hair color, and which Adore rinses did you use, did they show up? I have dark brown-black hair, and I want an Adore rinse that will at least show up in the sun.

Sithembile,,I went yesterday to buy some Adore rinses and I was told by one the employees at the bss that since my hair is a dark brown and I want the rinse to show, I would have to get a rinse that is much lighter than my hair. He recoommended Spice and Copper. I am going to mix them and see what happens.. HTH

i'm sorry i might sound super lost but what is the differece between a cellophane and a clear rinse.
I'm guessing by the name that one contains color and the other doesnt? and if so then what is the purpose?

Hi Laydeezion,
wave.gif

Cellophane is a brand of hair rinse which you can purchase in various colors as well as clear. If you check the link I provided earlier in this thread, it might give you a better idea.

And welcome - I see this is your first post!

Do clear rinses really work? I mean, is there a really noticeable difference in how shiny your hair is? And do all these temporary colors come out completely after the first wash? I'm going to buy the Adore today if they have it at Sally's.

Back