Hair color question!!!

i shampoo, apply the color, rinse and do a light shampoo, then condition. the conditioner closes the cuticle so if u apply the color first it will penetrate better.

Sithemble, my natural hair is a medium to dark brown (its a definite brown and sometimes lightens to a sandy brown in the sun).

I used French Cognac this time and it showed up very well (I loved it).
Its kinda a light orange color according to the bottle but it oxidizes to a brown color. I didn't think it would show up... but I had a nice auburn tint when it was done. Lighter may be the way to go. When I tried colors that were very similar to my own hair color (usually a brown with some kind of red tint - I tried this with Natural Instincts and the Beautiful collection...) the colors didn't show up for long they and appeared to wash out after one wash.

I usually go with something that doesn't look like my hair color. I haven't tried anything darker than my brown though.

I also have a friend with hair that is darker than mine and she usually puts Jazzing in (bold gold I think or... ruby red which isn't light...but its a bright red) and I can see it in her hair.

HTH

SoulChild, I think the clear rinses can make a different yes. If you look through some of the picture galleries of the ladies on this board... you can see how much shinier their hair is.

I tried a clear rinse once... but I don't think I did it right, thus it didn't come out so well. My hair is shinier when there's a rinse in it... but since I have been coming to this board... it has been the shiniest that it has ever been (while I have been doing my hair).

The colors are temporary... depending on how often you wash and whether you use heat they will last longer or not as long.

For example... after you put a rinse in your hair... if you sit under a dryer with a plastic cap on (follow the recommendation on the back of the bottle) the color will last longer. The same is true if you put a color in when you get a relaxer. This is because the cuticle is "open" so it takes up more color.

On the other hand... if you put the color in... and the cuticle is closed... provided you don't wash it all out immediately... it won't last long at all.

HTH

Back