Hair Color Gurus! HELP!!!!!!!

MissYocairis

Ok, so, here's the dilemma. I gray. I have....sighs....lots of gray. So, what I do, what I have BEEN doing, is tinting my hair jet black with rinses. I always use KISS Express in Jet Black (silver bottle). Well, my hair appears to be jet black but actually, in light, and in sunlight...most light....it's black with a purple/burgundy cast to it. Like, "aubergine" almost. :nono: So....what do I need to do? It's the only color, I THOUGHT, that was not damaging and would color my grays. But, apparently, it must be turning my grays purple/black-ish.

What do YOU do? What should I do? HELP! :pray: I am willing to switch to a lighter color or switch to a different brand. And, I don't do henna/indigo anymore because it's too drying for me. I am even willing to consider something permanent even though that will be a last resort. HELP!

I do hair and grays are the WORST when it comes to color. :nono:

You're only doing color rinses which just "coat" the hair strand and is not really doing anything to the grays except giving them a black appearance. Blue is the dominant color in dark brown to black hair colors and your hair seems to be really holding onto that blue color and thats why you see that purple like tint. Rinses dont last that long so thats the reason why that maybe after 2 shampoos or so you see that purple like color. my advice is to switch over to a demi or permanent black color so that your hair can actually hold that black color in longer and you can go a lot longer between touch ups before you see any type of purple tint or you may not see anymore purple tint whatsoever.

thats just my opinion!! hope this helps

Have you thought about henna mixed with walnut hull powder or cocoa powder. I was researching henna and saw a lot of people mentioning using it to color their hair and dye their greys. And this one lady had beautiful dark hair with a henna walnut hull powder (50 50 ratio). I was interested because I didn't want to dye my hair but I also didn't want a red cast. I just want it to stay a dark brownish color like it already is but get the benefits of henna.

Thanks MsLauren and Shortdub. I will start looking at demi's first and then go from there. Luckiest, I used to do a henna/indigo mix religiously for over a year but I found it a bit too drying for my hair. And, I was using evoo and everything in my mixture and following up with serious dc's but overtime, the cumulative effect for me was too dry. I'm afraid to try it again! :lol: Does walnut hull have any moisture properties?

I guess if I find myself having to go with a permanent color, then I might as well henna then huh? It's all going to dry me out. I'm too young to be sporting gray! :cry:

Here's a link to lhcf and if you scroll to the middle mahalia's post shows her hair results http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=129877

Here's a medium brown one (but I also read that with more cocoa the hair is even darker to the point of indigo. You need more of a ratio of cocoa than henna for that though). Also heard that it covers greys from the tons of threads I've researched and that the greys do NOT turn red if you use enough to darken the color [walnut/or cocoa]
http://blog.butters-n-bars.com/2011/07/cocoa-brown-henna-and-you.html

At anyrate I'm going to experiment myself after I get out of my protective style. Hope this helps.

Thanks MsLauren and Shortdub. I will start looking at demi's first and then go from there. Luckiest, I used to do a henna/indigo mix religiously for over a year but I found it a bit too drying for my hair. And, I was using evoo and everything in my mixture and following up with serious dc's but overtime, the cumulative effect for me was too dry. I'm afraid to try it again! :lol: Does walnut hull have any moisture properties?

I guess if I find myself having to go with a permanent color, then I might as well henna then huh? It's all going to dry me out. I'm too young to be sporting gray! :cry:

Sorry didn't read this first.

No, walnut does not have moisturiing properties.

What you've mentioned above is the reason that I was worried about trying henna as my hair is not in love with protein and I know henna has a protein like quality (sigh).

Even with dc? What about using a conditioner in the mix? Just trying to help before you give up but keep in mind that I completely understand your caution as I feel the same.

Permanent dark colors won't dry your hair out. Lighter colors dry it out because of the chemicals in it that lifts the color out and places new color (peroxide, developer, ammonia, etc.). I used to dye my hair black when it was relaxed. It never hurt my hair.

Ok, so, here's the dilemma. I gray. I have....sighs....lots of gray. So, what I do, what I have BEEN doing, is tinting my hair jet black with rinses. I always use KISS Express in Jet Black (silver bottle). Well, my hair appears to be jet black but actually, in light, and in sunlight...most light....it's black with a purple/burgundy cast to it. Like, "aubergine" almost. :nono: So....what do I need to do? It's the only color, I THOUGHT, that was not damaging and would color my grays. But, apparently, it must be turning my grays purple/black-ish.

What do YOU do? What should I do? HELP! :pray: I am willing to switch to a lighter color or switch to a different brand. And, I don't do henna/indigo anymore because it's too drying for me. I am even willing to consider something permanent even though that will be a last resort. HELP!
I have plenty of grays ( about 60% of my hair) and have been using Blasol powder successfully for 4 years now. It is a permanent colour with no amonia or peroxyde similar to Bigen. The difference with Bigen is that the colours are very natural looking and it is not drying at all. I use the brown black colour which is a natural black with a warm undertone. It totally covers my gray and I use it the day of my relaxer touch-up and every 3 weeks therafter to cover my new growth. I love it and could not do without it.

any kind of haircolor is going to be somewhat drying and damaging because of the ammonia and other ingredients in it. but since you're only doing black its the least damaging of the colors because you're not trying to go lift and go lighter or bleach your hair.
just make sure you take care of hair properly and probably introduce some more moisture in your reggie and you should be ok! :drunk:

Back