Hair Care Regimen help... hair still dry

trinidarkie1

Hey ladies,
I need some help with my hair care regimen.
It's really new but I dont really want to go through weeks of trial and error.

My problem is moisture..
I've begun washing with Nexxus Therappe and Conditioning with Humectress. Then I apply the MTG/Kemi/Doogroo Wild Growth oils to my hair after spraying with a water/surge/conditioner mix. I braid my hair down the middle and tie with a silk scarf, in the morning for work, my hair is dry again.

Because of the new growth, my hair looks better after it's tied down overnight so I dont bother to do anything to it in the morning before work.

tonight I intend to start using my gym work out as my steam/treatment time and take advantage of the body heat to apply some grapeseed oil before I work out and follow the aforementioned routine when I get home.

How can I improve my hair's moisture.. and would that mean having a lot of product build-up as a result every week?

I used to suffer from dry hair. My hair is not dry at all right now.

But, the only solution for me is to deep condition twice a week.

I also noticed the more products I used, the drier my hair became.

I use Kenra Clarifying (I like it because they claim their shampoos don't strip hair and they are right!!) and then whatever treatment conditioner I need (i.e. Keraphix, etc.), if any, before deep conditioning.

I DC with the plastic cap and with or without heat, but I do it every single time. After about a month of doing this, both my hair and scalp showed no signs of dryness, and I continue to do this to keep it that way.

HoneyDew said:
I used to suffer from dry hair. My hair is not dry at all right now.

But, the only solution for me is to deep condition twice a week.

I also noticed the more products I used, the drier my hair became.

I use Kenra Clarifying (I like it because they claim their shampoos don't strip hair and they are right!!) and then whatever treatment conditioner I need (i.e. Keraphix, etc.), if any, before deep conditioning.

I DC with the plastic cap and with or without heat, but I do it every single time. After about a month of doing this, both my hair and scalp showed no signs of dryness, and I continue to do this to keep it that way.

Honeydew, I swear we are hair twins. When you had the pics up saying that your hair grows out instead of down, I said DANG THAT'S ME. LOL. Finally, I'm getting some hang. YEAH.

triniedarkie1: DEEP CONDITION, I mean like your life depends on it. My hair used to be extremely dry. I started deep conditioning every single time I washed my hair and it is moisturized all of the time now. I have to co-sign the use of less products also. Once I did those two things,my hair began to thrive. Good luck.

trinidarkie1 said:
Hey ladies,

My problem is moisture..
I've begun washing with Nexxus Therappe and Conditioning with Humectress. Then I apply the MTG/Kemi/Doogroo Wild Growth oils to my hair after spraying with a water/surge/conditioner mix. I braid my hair down the middle and tie with a silk scarf, in the morning for work, my hair is dry again.

Because of the new growth, my hair looks better after it's tied down overnight so I dont bother to do anything to it in the morning before work.

tonight I intend to start using my gym work out as my steam/treatment time and take advantage of the body heat to apply some grapeseed oil before I work out and follow the aforementioned routine when I get home.

How can I improve my hair's moisture.. and would that mean having a lot of product build-up as a result every week?
oils do not condition or moisturise. they only seal in moisture. you need to use a creamy leave in or use a daily moisturiser

Okay, I feel you on the deep conditioning. I would normally use the ORS replenishing pak to DC each week. SO I should do that more often now then? And if so, doesnt that have a lot of protein? And doesnt too much protein make your hair break?

Then, next thing is.. maybe I am confused.
What exactly IS a deep condition? Is that the product or is that what you do after you pre-poo and wash? instead of just applying a conditioner for leave-in or rinsing out?

toosexy1 said:
oils do not condition or moisturise. they only seal in moisture. you need to use a creamy leave in or use a daily moisturiser

Okay, so then my co-mix isnt creamy enough.
So should I add some of the Humectress to my hair mix (water,surge, suave) spray and then add the MTG mix?

trinidarkie1 said:
Okay, I feel you on the deep conditioning. I would normally use the ORS replenishing pak to DC each week. SO I should do that more often now then? And if so, doesnt that have a lot of protein? And doesnt too much protein make your hair break?

Then, next thing is.. maybe I am confused.
What exactly IS a deep condition? Is that the product or is that what you do after you pre-poo and wash? instead of just applying a conditioner for leave-in or rinsing out?

Honestly, I love the the ORS replenishing pak, but it is not enough for my deep conditions. I need a creamy,thick, saturating mix to do the job.

I love Miss Key 10en1 mixed with Emergencia. I also love Profectiv Growth mask mixed with Miss Key 10en1. I love Miss Key Wheat Germ, as well.

Sometimes, I put the the ORS replenishing pak on and then cover it with something thicker and creamier.

I saw the Emergencia at Rite Aid as well, I thought about buying it but decided against it.
Another trip to the pharmacy, or the hairstore tonight I see.
Can I do an every other day on the pre-poo and DC or something? because washing my hair while I shower is ideal, we have a real tiny bathroom sink. So for me to do a pree-poo is fine cos I get in the shower after anyway, but then that DC stuff, that takes nuff time. hmmn

How often should I DC again?

I think you are missing moisture too. I used to use Humuctress too but found after a while it just did not provide enough moisture for me. I use the ORS Replenishing Pak once a week and then a moisturizing conditioner the next week or wash. Right now I am using Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner or Giovanni's 50:50 Moisture Balancer conditioner.

I also apply a creme moisturizer daily, sometimes twice daily if I have a fresh touch up. I'm using ORS Olive Oil Lotion on damp hair and sealing with jojoba or wgo. If you are using Surge daily like me (I'm on a Surge challenge) I would add a heavy oil to that mixture. Currently I am using my mix of Surge with wgo but castor oil works well too.

Last but not least you need to add moisture on the inside too. Drink lots of water. If you are a soda drinker cut it back or out completely. If you take vits make sure to add some flax seed oil to your vits a minimum of 1,000 mgs daily.

A combo of all these things should give you some results in a couple of weeks.

Thanks simplycee,
I drink lots of water as a rule, no soda and limited sugar added drinks. Maybe 1 every other day.

I was looking for a moisturizer but someone told me not to use anything with Petrolatum and Mineral Oil.. is that true? If so then I can pretty much pick up any old moisturizer from the store?

simplycee said:
I think you are missing moisture too. I used to use Humuctress too but found after a while it just did not provide enough moisture for me. I use the ORS Replenishing Pak once a week and then a moisturizing conditioner the next week or wash. Right now I am using Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner or Giovanni's 50:50 Moisture Balancer conditioner.

I also apply a creme moisturizer daily, sometimes twice daily if I have a fresh touch up. I'm using ORS Olive Oil Lotion on damp hair and sealing with jojoba or wgo. If you are using Surge daily like me (I'm on a Surge challenge) I would add a heavy oil to that mixture. Currently I am using my mix of Surge with wgo but castor oil works well too.

Last but not least you need to add moisture on the inside too. Drink lots of water. If you are a soda drinker cut it back or out completely. If you take vits make sure to add some flax seed oil to your vits a minimum of 1,000 mgs daily.

A combo of all these things should give you some results in a couple of weeks.

Great tips!

What she said, along with the weekly DCing is what upped the moisture level of my hair.

I also like to use Porosity Control every now and then. The PC allows my hair to hold on to moisture better by improving its' porosity.

baglady215 said:
Great tips!

What she said, along with the weekly DCing is what upped the moisture level of my hair.

I also like to use Porosity Control every now and then. The PC allows my hair to hold on to moisture better by improving its' porosity.

I was just going to suggest this. PC is what turned my hair around, I used every conditioner under the sun but this made the difference. Try the cantu breakcure. I mix leave in, distilled water, and oil for a daily spritz.

If are looking for a deep contioner try kenra intensive emollient, you can leave it on and your hair feels great. Giovanni 50:50 is a staple, tried and true!

I've used the Olive Oil Lotion, and it only makes my hair feel good when I blow dry, airdrying, it doesnt do anything, my hair seems very coarse, and just oily. It doesnt feel nice and soft. So Ive stopped using that.

So far on my list.
I have porosity control, cantu breakcure, Kenra Intensive Emollient and clarifying shampp, Giovanni 50:50, Castor Oil, Emergencee and Miss Key 10 en 1, my usual ORS replenishing pak and Keraphix...

My question is.. do I buy all these things and mix like ones together, or create daily regimens using different things.
Cos I r confused.

I know that no one can TELL me exactly what to do and what will work for me, but after hearing about all these products I am buying new things and I dont want to spend too much money and have products just sitting on my shelf.

trinidarkie1 said:
I've used the Olive Oil Lotion, and it only makes my hair feel good when I blow dry, airdrying, it doesnt do anything, my hair seems very coarse, and just oily. It doesnt feel nice and soft. So Ive stopped using that.

So far on my list.
I have porosity control, cantu breakcure, Kenra Intensive Emollient and clarifying shampp, Giovanni 50:50, Castor Oil, Emergencee and Miss Key 10 en 1, my usual ORS replenishing pak and Keraphix...

My question is.. do I buy all these things and mix like ones together, or create daily regimens using different things.
Cos I r confused.

I know that no one can TELL me exactly what to do and what will work for me, but after hearing about all these products I am buying new things and I dont want to spend too much money and have products just sitting on my shelf.

I would recommend:

Clarify shampoo - vo5 has one and sauve
porosity control - you can get a small bottle for now, most sally's have it
Giovanni 50:50 - vitamin shoppe has a sale sometimes, whole foods upped the price
cantu breakcure

you shouldn't spend more than $20.

I would:

clarify
use mositurizing shampoo if needed
mix the PC with a conditioner you like leave on no heat 15 - 20 minutes
rinse
Leave in
dry hair

if your hair feels dry use the breakcure, I mix it with oil (jojoba, black castor)

Sorry I saw this too late.
I went to the hairstore last night, I bought lots of stuff, spent about $28
I bought
- Elasta QP moisture recovery
- Fantasia Tea Tree Oil (real nice)
- Cantu Breakcure
- Revlon Porosity control
- Surge Moisture Aide
- Isoplus tea tree and aloe

I did a pre-poo with Humectress and Grapeseed for an hour no heat.
then I washed with the porosity control (the bottle said only 30 secs though), applied ORS with Humectress no heat.
Rinsed out and applied a mix of the Surge Moisture Aide, Fantasia Tea tree and Elasta Qp, air dried for a lil while.. ( I think I applied too much product though, lol and my scalp was tingliiing :lol:)
Then I sprayed in my MTG mix and voila..
I Wore a shower cap all night wrapped in a silk scarf and I braided my hair this morning down the back and tucked in as usual, my hair looks so nice and wavy... loving it!

trinidarkie1 said:
I saw the Emergencia at Rite Aid as well, I thought about buying it but decided against it.
Another trip to the pharmacy, or the hairstore tonight I see.
Can I do an every other day on the pre-poo and DC or something? because washing my hair while I shower is ideal, we have a real tiny bathroom sink. So for me to do a pree-poo is fine cos I get in the shower after anyway, but then that DC stuff, that takes nuff time. hmmn

How often should I DC again?

I don't mean Emergencee, a hardcore protein treatment by Nexxus. I mean Emergencia, a conditioner made in the Dominican Republic. Actually Emergencee is the last thing you need, I think. It may only add to the dryness.

Everyone is giving you some great tips!!

MissVee said:
I would recommend:

Clarify shampoo - vo5 has one and sauve

Also, I HIGHLY recommend Kenra's Clarifying Chelating Shampoo. It never strips my hair like others I've tried.
kenra.jpg

Now I think I am going to wash etc about 3 times a week to see faster results.
So tell me how this sounds.
Wash Day #1
- clarifying shampoo
- Protein Pak or something
Leave in Moisture as usual

Wash day #2
- Porosity control
- Moisture treatment (humectress n breakcure)
- Leave in Moisture as usual

Wash day #3
- Moisture Shampoo
-Deep Condition
- Leave in Moisture as usual?

Oh and which day should I add a hot oil?

trinidarkie1 said:
Now I think I am going to wash etc about 3 times a week to see faster results.
So tell me how this sounds.
Wash Day #1
- clarifying shampoo
- Protein Pak or something
Leave in Moisture as usual

Wash day #2
- Porosity control
- Moisture treatment (humectress n breakcure)
- Leave in Moisture as usual

Wash day #3
- Moisture Shampoo
-Deep Condition
- Leave in Moisture as usual?

Oh and which day should I add a hot oil?

Only use the PC one in a while. If you do one this week don't do it again for another 2 months. Clarify once a month. I don't know if you need to wash 3x a week that is a lot of manipulation of the hair.

Breakcure is a moisturizer, i've only used it on dry hair. You might need to mix the humectress with something, oil or another conditioner. I don't really find it that moisturizing, I have a big ole bottle of it too, a mess!

PM me if you have any questions.... I know the struggle of dry hair.

thanks missvee,
so pc and clarify once a month. Sounds good.

thanks honey dew on the emergencia. where can i find that?

Can someone tell me why we should avoid products with mineral oil and petrolatum?

Trini, I too tend to have dry hair and I am always searching for that perfect moisturizing product. I just discovered S Curl no drip formula. I have read for over a year on this board that several members use this. I always thought this product was for jerri curls, so I avoided it- until two days ago. I broke down and purchased a bottle, came home and sprized the ends of my flat ironed hair. Hmm, soft smooth ends...I spritzed a little though the length of my hair. Wow, very soft, smooth hair. Two days later, still soft, smooth, MOISTURIZED hair. Not oily, no jerri curl look (which is fine when I am wearing wash n wear). I was so afraid this would curl my hair up and ruin the flat ironed look, but it didn't. In fact it just made my hair more smooth. I was very impressed at how moisturized my hair became. Maybe this would be an easy solution for dry hair for you too.

trinidarkie1 said:
Hey ladies,

My problem is moisture..

Your regimen sounds good so far and with the advice you've been given you're on your way.
You should be taking supplements internally to moisturize your hair. Amino Acids, Essential Fatty Acids,Fish Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, MSM, or MSM Powder and of course lots of water. This, of course will take some time, approx. 21 days to see results.

Suri said:
Your regimen sounds good so far and with the advice you've been given you're on your way.
You should be taking supplements internally to moisturize your hair. Amino Acids, Essential Fatty Acids,Fish Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, MSM, or MSM Powder and of course lots of water. This, of course will take some time, approx. 21 days to see results.

I cyar take all dem tings! :lol:
The cod liver oil - fine, cos I chew those up.
I think I have some evening primrose oil, and I take MSM caps.
Those are way too many tablets for me to take at one time. I'm working on the MSM and a Multivitamin with Biotin and stuff.
I have to start back on the EP oil though, it's been collecting dust.

Does it matter that I take the MSM at night?

My roots look so pretty! I had my ends wrapped up in a lil bun last night. The back of my hair grows faster though, so it looks nicer.

trinidarkie1 said:
thanks honey dew on the emergencia. where can i find that?

Hey girl! Last night I used my Emergencia actually. I mixed it with 10en1 and Silicon Mix because my hair has been feeling a little dryer with all this new growth.

I love that combo and today as I am sitting here, I am loving how my hair feels. Mind you, I only use a hair lotion that only contains hemp seed oil and silicone after I deep condition and my hair is still soft and moisturized.

I get those conditioners from places online that sell Dominican Products.

But, I don't think the Dominican Products are the only good ones, I am just a creature of habit. If you prefer regular BSS conditionerd, they can give you good results, as well.

I luvs my Profective Growth Mask and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner. I also love the Shea Butter Conditioner by Lustrasilk.

(good advice in the thread - i am taking notes, too!)

You might consider making one of your three weekly washings a conditioner wash- Nexxus shampoos are great, but anytime you have SLS in a product it can be drying. Conditioner washes are a great way to add moisture.

I'm also wondering about how you condition and by that I mean the method not the products. How long do you leave the conditioner on your hair and do you ever condition with a plastic cap and heat?

Lastly, what about heat? Maybe you commented on it and I missed it. If you're constantly using a lot of heat that's going to counteract everything you do to keep moisture in your hair, especially when it's still cold outside...

greenidlady1 said:
You might consider making one of your three weekly washings a conditioner wash- Nexxus shampoos are great, but anytime you have SLS in a product it can be drying. Conditioner washes are a great way to add moisture.

I'm also wondering about how you condition and by that I mean the method not the products. How long do you leave the conditioner on your hair and do you ever condition with a plastic cap and heat?

Lastly, what about heat? Maybe you commented on it and I missed it. If you're constantly using a lot of heat that's going to counteract everything you do to keep moisture in your hair, especially when it's still cold outside...

Hello,
I've stopped using my blowdryer and I have been airdrying all the way.
However, because I use INstant Weaves on the weekend, I sometimes use a curling iron to blend in the front cos it's curly.

When using conditioners etc, I use a plastic cap that I keep on for 45 to an hour, since I dont have a hood dryer yet.

Heat is going to be come an issue if I get a weave that's not a full weave in order to blend the hair in, so I am considering getting my first curly weave, so then I can use rods to blend :lol:

Back