Hair care cost less before LHCF!!!

tatje

I realized ever since I came on this board I have spent so much money on my hair because I was trying out things and yet there were no real significant changes to me before LHCF when I had less products. I used them the same way. Of coarse most of my money is spent on conditioners, but I realized with me it is all about how you use a product and how good that product is for you hair. I'm just trying to save because I know for me there is no miracle product, just how I take care of my hair.

Yeah I learned my lesson too. But when you first start out you want to try everything someone raves about. It takes some time but the PJ in you will soon ease back. I don't try every raved product now. It's very tempting but no. I think if you have a good shampoo, good conditioner, good moisturizer and good protein balance, that is all you need.

Everyone is raving about Aveda and it is sooooo tempting but I will pass. I'm trying to switch to products I can get at walmart and I'm slowing finding cheaper things that will do the same.

longhairluva said:
Yeah I learned my lesson too. But when you first start out you want to try everything someone raves about. It takes some time but the PJ in you will soon ease back. I don't try every raved product now. It's very tempting but no. I think if you have a good shampoo, good conditioner, good moisturizer and good protein balance, that is all you need.

Everyone is raving about Aveda and it is sooooo tempting but I will pass. I'm trying to switch to products I can get at walmart and I'm slowing finding cheaper things that will do the same.

Its funny that you just mentioned that cos i decided this evening that enough is enough...I am getting that darn aveda.:look:
Even though it is expensive, before LHCF i used to spend way more on natural looking weaves. Although i have been a pj since joining, i have always bought from the lower price ranges, but they havent helped my hair very much. So i'm stepping it up!
So i've not been spending more on my hair than before LHCF...i've actually been spending way less! (when i start Aveda...i'll probably be spending pretty much the same as pre- LHCF)

Last edited:
I feel like I have every product every wanted. I try not to look at raves for any product because I get caught up in dream land thinking my hair will change over night. CRazy.:crazy:

Most of us just get so excited by other people's testimonies and we feel like we have to try this or that to see if it's "the one". I have so many products and most I will probably not use up. But I still feel like there are so many products to try before I can know for sure. I hate the idea of missing out on that product that is the best one for my hair. I still have to try Aveda and Kerecare and a few others. I know, I'm pathetic :)

I've been here for over a year and I am still **tempted** to try every product I hear raves about. :look: Hair care is definately costing me a lot more now but at least I have hair on my head to show for it whereas before it was jacked! :lol: So I'm okay with spending a few extra dollars. I just have to control my urge to splurge everytime I read good reviews.

JazzyDez said:
I've been here for over a year and I am still **tempted** to try every product I hear raves about. :look: Hair care is definately costing me a lot more now but at least I have hair on my head to show for it whereas before it was jacked! :lol: So I'm okay with spending a few extra dollars. I just have to control my urge to splurge everytime I read good reviews.[/quote]

I'm doing this now. :lol:

I do love my keracare humecto though. This is a keeper for me. But I have Creme of Nature Shampoo which is the best shampoo I have come across for my hair. Humecto is the most expensive product I have now. I'm on my personal use it up challenge.. I have stuff that has been stashed away for almost a year.

Umm, Aveda was my miracle product. So was henna, eqyss, styleone... ok this could take awhile. My point is, sometimes you find the perfect product for your hair... and you won't know unless you try.

I think people end up thinking like you said Tatje that it will grow overnight to great lengths. But if you take time to actually look through members' fotkis who have gone from shoulder length to BSL or longer, it actually took some time.

But yeah, i spend more money too but this is about the only thing I splurge on anyway. My hair now, so I don't mind. Plus my hair is in 10x better shape before LHCF.

Don't worry! It will taper off. I've been tracking my haircare spending evern since I joined the forum last August and I tried a bunch of things. But the longer I've been here, the more I've learned what my hair needs and when. I've seen my spending taper way off. And since I'm pleased with the way that my hair is doing, I don't feel the urge so much anymore to buy or try everything that is raved about here. I try to tell myself if it's not broke why fix it? If what I'm using is working, I don't necessarily need to try every new product.

Give it time. The cost will go down as you find what works for you. I'm still on the hunt for good daily moisturizer and my staple products/regimen will be complete.

:lol: @ this thread! It sure was WAY cheaper, but my hair looked like *expletive*! So I figure being broke with nice hair is worth it :look:! I was a pj REALLY bad in the beginning, cured it, and relapsed (dern Avlon, CD, serums...). Now I'm sitting here saying: "Well, it doesn't matter. I never do anything for myself, and hair products make me happy! I don't need a new purse, shoes, clothes, or food b/c I'm trying to lose weight... Right?!"

Actually, I've always been a PJ so it's just been a little more since I've joined LHCF :eek: However, since then I've found one staple product (Queen Helene Placenta Conditioning Shampoo with Panthenol) that costs only 3 bucks and some change! I would have never found it if I had not tried out a few of the products mentioned here :-)

I agree with a lot that has been said already. I just purchased the Kwik Dry hair dryer and that is it for at least a year. I have enough Dominican and Keracare (still in its box until I use up everything else) to last me for at least 2 years. But my hair looks a lot better. Even though I used the Cathy Howse system for a year, my ends looked horrible every 5 wks. And then would get a touch-up and trim, thus losing length, overprocessed and spending $70. Now I finally figured out stretching--I am at 10 weeks now and saved at least $140 already!:D

tatje said:
I realized ever since I came on this board I have spent so much money on my hair because I was trying out things and yet there were no real significant changes to me before LHCF when I had less products. I used them the same way. Of coarse most of my money is spent on conditioners, but I realized with me it is all about how you use a product and how good that product is for you hair. I'm just trying to save because I know for me there is no miracle product, just how I take care of my hair.

I feel you on this. I've spent a lot of money on products. But I look at it this way: once you find your master products, you begin to start saving a lot more money. I've made some money back through selling on the Product & Exchange forum. But most of the products I've given away to the ladies downstairs in the gym or to my mother. So I don't see it as a waste.

On the other hand, I've seen pictures of my hair pre-LHCF and realized that my hair looked no worse than it does now. However, there is a difference: never before have I stretch relaxers for this long. Also, the value of not using heat. How to balance moisture-protein. And protective styling. AVEDA haircare line. The power of vitamins/supplements, drinking water, exercise and a good diet. All these tips have proven valuable. My hair has *never* gone past 1 or 2 inches below shoulder without it breaking off. Not using heat, little manipuation, protective styles and moisturizing techniques are helping to bring my hair back to life and achieve health and length.

I still have a long way to go, but I'm keeping my eye on the prize. And for the most part, I am learning not to give in the PJism especially since I've already found what works for me.

Good luck and HHG!! :kiss:

SP

Yea i've turned into a PJ in my time here! I really want to try the aveda hair stuff cuz i exclusively use their skin care line and its fantastic so i know their hair care stuff will be good. Its just so damn expensive. The one bandwagon i wish i didn't jump on was henna. yea my hair had rich colour and shine, but it killed my curl pattern and in the process of transitoning out of it.

I hear you guys! i have been on here for a month and already i have spents over a hundred dollars on stuff..luckily i have a good paying job so can afford it. But as soon as you find what works for you i think the cost will go down so keep at it if you can.:)

Talipoohz_Momma said:
:lol: @ this thread! It sure was WAY cheaper, but my hair looked like *expletive*! So I figure being broke with nice hair is worth it :look:! I was a pj REALLY bad in the beginning, cured it, and relapsed (dern Avlon, CD, serums...). Now I'm sitting here saying: "Well, it doesn't matter. I never do anything for myself, and hair products make me happy! I don't need a new purse, shoes, clothes, or food b/c I'm trying to lose weight... Right?!"

Get outta my head :lol: :lol:
I always say to my friends "I may be broke, but I look good!" :lachen: (My other PJ-ism vice is makeup :p )

I swear, all I gotta do is buy me a Pibbs 514 and I'm DONE being a PJ!! I hope :look:

I was just saying to a member this morning how we might need a PJ Bootcamp, cuz the pj in me is :lol: at the "Use it Up" Challenge. Poor bank account...It never had a chance :cool:

Back