Hair breakage 2 days after henna treatment. (I'm about to throw in the towel!)

SimplyLeesh

So I did a henna treatemt on my relaxed hair using colora henna found at my local beauty supply store. I followed the directions and left in my hair for an hour. The label said all natural and organic so I assume there are no chemicals, plus I did some research about the brand. I rinsed out the henna using a condish and then DC'd for an hour using shea moisture deep treatment masque. Initially, I was excited to see no breakage when I was detangling. I even blow dried and flat ironed and still little to no breakage. Now its two days after and my hair is so dry, brittle, breaking excessivly and has no shine. I would like to know if any of you ladies experienced this and what I can do different if I ever decide to henna again? I have been on a pretty normal regi with washing once a week, alternating between protein and moisture, using a leav-in before wrapping my hair with a silk scarf at night and even taking vitamins. I feel that my hair just wont stop breaking and about to throw in the towel on my hair journey.

Your hair needs moisture! try baggying! also do a moisturizing conditioner and cowash it! Do you have any other deep conditioner than the 1 you used?

Your hair needs moisture! try baggying! also do a moisturizing conditioner and cowash it! Do you have any other deep conditioner than the 1 you used?

yup especially at the bolded. Long time henna user here. In the begining I noticed I was having that issue,when I put too much acid ( lime/lemon/acv ) into my mix.

I started to use terps (ie. essential oils like tea tree, lavander ) and only 1/2 tsp of the acid with 1tsp aloe, 1Tbls honey and it's fine.

cowash, use a moisture rich dc ( aubrey organics honeysuckle rose or qp dpr-11 for example ) and steam or do overnight dc's and your hair will be fine in a week or 2.

Thanks ladies for your advice. I'm steaming right now with shea moisture deep penetrating masque and miss keys 10 en 1. I added 2 table spoons of olive oil and coconut oil to the mix and it gives alot of slip. :yep:

ITA with the other ladies - definitely up the moisture level since henna acts like a protein. Hopefully your steam treatment will work for you! I would've left out the coconut oil because it has a small amount of protein (can't be too careful). I'm relaxed too and I've been using henna for about 8 months. Don't give up on henna (or your HHJ)! I would recommend buying your henna from an actual Indian store if possible - preferrably one you can tell does alot of business. They're likely to have a better selection, fresher products, and hopefully helpful employees if you have questions.

Btw, what did you use in your henna mix?

One warning about henna...

My understanding is that henna can sometimes mimic the effects of protein (which is why you have to deep condition after using henna). So, if you are protein sensitive (ex: my hair pretty much hates most protein) it may be a bad idea to use henna. I am discovering that any product that works on people whose hair is not protein sensitive causes havoc with my hair.

I think this is a situation where you have to know your hair and know what certain types of products do to your hair.

With henna moisture is key. So try doing a cocnut oil with w.e conditioner u have and let it sit overnight then cowash in the morning. Another thing, I noticed u said the box told you to leave it 4 an hour, I've never saw that on a box of henna. Try using another brand. =) hhg

ITA with the other ladies - definitely up the moisture level since henna acts like a protein. Hopefully your steam treatment will work for you! I would've left out the coconut oil because it has a small amount of protein (can't be too careful). I'm relaxed too and I've been using henna for about 8 months. Don't give up on henna (or your HHJ)! I would recommend buying your henna from an actual Indian store if possible - preferrably one you can tell does alot of business. They're likely to have a better selection, fresher products, and hopefully helpful employees if you have questions.

Btw, what did you use in your henna mix?

I used camomille tea and honey instead of plain water in my henna mix. I did another deep condition with my DC mix and my hair is much better. Hardly any breakage, but I still have a way to go because I rather no breakage. I will definitely follow up with alot of moisture cuz my hair loves it. Thanks again ladies!

So I did a henna treatemt on my relaxed hair using colora henna found at my local beauty supply store. I followed the directions and left in my hair for an hour. The label said all natural and organic so I assume there are no chemicals, plus I did some research about the brand. I rinsed out the henna using a condish and then DC'd for an hour using shea moisture deep treatment masque. Initially, I was excited to see no breakage when I was detangling. I even blow dried and flat ironed and still little to no breakage. Now its two days after and my hair is so dry, brittle, breaking excessivly and has no shine. I would like to know if any of you ladies experienced this and what I can do different if I ever decide to henna again? I have been on a pretty normal regi with washing once a week, alternating between protein and moisture, using a leav-in before wrapping my hair with a silk scarf at night and even taking vitamins. I feel that my hair just wont stop breaking and about to throw in the towel on my hair journey.

I'll guarantee it's not body quality henna. It's either metallic or natural mixed with metallic. Never EVER buy henna from the beauty supply store. You need protein and moisture. Try Aphogee then a deep penetrating hair moisturizing treatment like Pantene mask in the little jar or something else. Heat a wet towel in the microwave and steam your hair 5x or more to get that moisture in. Use no heat, use a moisturizing leave-in like Care Free Curl...believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I hope you don't have to cut and can catch it in time. Do very little manipulation of your hair.

Also remember that just because henna is natural doesn't mean that it can't have any deleterious effects on your hair. I realize that it's tempting to assume that you can use natural products in ways that you wouldn't use "chemical" products but that isn't always the case.
It's still a hair dye and it's still a permanent process and as many have pointed out, it is drying AND you put it on top of a relaxer, so the results aren't that surprising.
I hope that you can get it feeling good again but it will have to grow out. Good luck and keep moisturizing.

I'll guarantee it's not body quality henna. It's either metallic or natural mixed with metallic. Never EVER buy henna from the beauty supply store. You need protein and moisture. Try Aphogee then a deep penetrating hair moisturizing treatment like Pantene mask in the little jar or something else. Heat a wet towel in the microwave and steam your hair 5x or more to get that moisture in. Use no heat, use a moisturizing leave-in like Care Free Curl...believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I hope you don't have to cut and can catch it in time. Do very little manipulation of your hair.

ITA! I am relaxed and henna monthly and I never heard of BAQ henna at the BSS. I buy mine from an Indian store and I make sure to read the label. Henna has done so much good for my hair However I did sooooo much research before I decided to do it.

I'm glad your hair is bouncing back and I hope you will give BAQ henna a try. It never dries me out. Maybe because I add oils to my mix!

Incidentally, I went to the bss the Yemenis own to inquire about Yemeni henna they said they could get...and he referred me to the shelf where there was Colora Henna....I shrieked inside!!!!

Back