Hair-biography of a NEWBIE!

boldblackbeauty

After lurking for over a year, I have finally decided to fully take advantage of the wealth of knowledge, passion and beauty I have come to expect of you LHCF women. Thanks for being there for me in ways that you aren't even aware of!

I truly believe the state and health of my hair is indicative of the state of my life. I am approaching my 2-year natural anniversary, and I couldn't feel better about myself! Everyday my hair is getting longer and healthier than it's ever been before and that brings me so much joy! Hair in general, has always brought me joy, it just has never really been my hair that did.

When I began getting my hair straightened around the age of 13, began it's demise. Being fully natural and what I think is considered 4a, my hair requires tremendous patience. Recognizing most professionals would not devote the patience required, I often took my hair into my own hands. In high school, I was very physically active as a dancer and cheerleader which definitely took it's toll on my natural hair. I would be at the kitchen stove three times a week pressing and singeing my edges with no remorse. During this period I began going to a well-known Detroit stylist who would wax my hair up so heavily and press it so hard that gently pulling on my ends would release lots of burnt breakage. Naively, I was grateful it was straight, unfortunately my retention didn't stand a chance.

Fast forward a couple years and began my fascination with weaves, glue and subsequently more damage. My favorite hair style was a weave-supplemented swoop bang, coming into a classic 'dancer' bun. This style looked great, but the collateral damage done to my weak hair was irreversible. At this point I was numb to the constant shedding and breakage, much like a stubborn adolescent.

Shortly thereafter, I made the decision to cut my hair drastically--a BC before I knew the term. I'll admit I was essentially forced into it, but I was very excited to finally have 'healthy' hair. I even shopped for clothing with my new haircut in mind! My haircut was truly a 'born again' experience for me in that it had been so long since I had worn my real hair, at any length. My confidence had surged! It was with this style that I also began self styling and vowed against professionals. I was relaxing, coloring, cutting, even tapering my nape all by myself. I would rather make my own mistakes than have a 'professional' send me home broke and crazy looking. Even when I slipped up and gave myself a bald patch, I would cleverly dab black eyeshadow to guise the mistake.

I rocked the short 'n sexy the majority of my college years, making my transition to natural hair during the latter part of my senior year. Thankfully, I have been growing ever since!

Suddenly and unexpectedly, I loss my mother in mid-October of last year. This has and continues to bring me tremendous heartbreak, but I know she is watching me from heaven and I am reminded of how she loved to see me happy and enjoying life. This is a major reason why I decided to join this forum. Both personally and with regard to my hair, I am at the point where I need guidance and I believe LHCF will deliver!

Thank you all for reading and be blessed!

Sorry about your mother. I understand I lost mine in June 2008.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you have a healthy hair journey!

:hug2:Sorry about your mother .Welcome to the forum I am still learning myself but a lot of ladies here have got the knowledge and have a healthy hair journey

I'm sorry for your loss.:bighug:

Welcome to LHCF!
:clap:

We have our share of h.effa-cat-i-tude at times.:lachen:

However, all in all we're a great bunch. :bouncy:

Sorry about your loss and welcome....

I also have gone thru ups and downs emotionally and this forum has brought me something to look forward to. Is a great blog!

so Welcome!:grin:

I am sorry for your loss, but glad to know that you realize that only her physical being has left you and her heart and spirit still showers you with the urgency to be the best that you can be for her and our God that loves us. I pray that you will keep the triumvate connection between you, your mother and our Dear Lord until the day when your spirits may be joyously reunited. Until then I wish you much love in this lifetime, beginning with these BEAUTIFUL, SMART and INCREDIBLY helpful ladies in this forum.

GOD BLESS YOU!

welcome to our forum! I lost my mom on Sept. 1 of last year so I know how difficult it can be. We have an LHCF group for "motherless daughters" where we share stories. The link is in my siggy. When you are up to it, please do join and feel free to private message any of the members if you need someone to listen to how you feel :grin:

Back