Hair And Ciggarettes!!!

Candy_C

I cant say i've seen a thread about smokers before who wanna grow their hair!!

Who here smokes on the board?

I admit, i smoked occasionally whilst growing my hair out

but i was a joker smoker so never really saw any ill effects on my hair (except the pong!)

who here (who is ok to desclose they smoke) has healthy hair?

but i was a joker smoker so never really saw any ill effects on my hair (except the pong!)

OT.

i sho have seen what smoking crack does to what i'm sure was a perfectly beautiful a head of hair at one time.

..............and it ain't pretty :perplexed <------ working nightshift at a ghetto motel for a few years sure showed me more than i really wanted know.

what does the bolded mean?

Those jokers are $4.50 a pack now. :eek: I quit smoking in 2001 and haven't looked back. :nono: My hair was the same kinda jacked up like when I first joined this forum (at that point I hadn't had a cig in almost 5 years) so I believe it was because of bad haircare practices and not so much the fact that I used to smoke. :ohwell:

I know someone who smokes. It makes her hair dry, and the growth isn't even. It also is very brittle. Smoking just isn't good. Gives you lung cancer and all sorts of other conditions that kills you, makes you STINK, makes your skin look leathery, and chews up your hair. What in the hell is cool about that???

I've neer smoked but I've heard that smoking can dry out the hair. There was a technical explanation for it but I can't remember.

I hope you aren't smoking these days Candy!:ohwell::grin:

To answer the question though, I've never smoked before, but I think I'd be more worried about having healthy lungs/throat than about my hair.

I never had trouble with my hair...just the smell...and when you smoke, it doesnt matter. :perplexed (keeping it real) You just want your ciggy. :look:

I am in the process of quitting. I cheat here and there. I know when I left the salon last week...I didnt smoke for a few days because my hair smelled so good.:yep:

EMJazzy, how did you quit? I have been smoking alot of years and every attempt at quitting, I've failed miserably! Help a sista out!

i think smoking sucks the moisture out of you

i think the best way to combat this - is either STOP!!!

or take your omega's to counter-act SOME of the effects on hair

I do smoke, though I know I need to quit, I am fairly happy smoking. For smoking and hair growth, as was stated, take more OFAs and extra C. I have noticed if I am not consistent with my vitamins, my hair growth slows.

Welll,,, I noticed American's generally have a HUGE to do about smoking - yes yes cancer death etc, (BTW kid's DON'T smoke!) but also PUT THE BURGER DOWN:look: it gives you heart conditions, obesity, diabetes, death etc...
I'm a social smoker myself read: if its there and I didn't have to fork a fiver will smoke it, and i have "smoker friends" honestly, not noticed a difference in their skin or hair:ohwell: (mine either) I guess we're not very hardcore but Kate Moss and Naomi are smoking models:drunk:

I smoke, I would have to say aside from the dryness, I have recently noticed that one section of my hair is growing slower than the rest. Before I came to the boards I had some-what healthy hair.

I am in NO WAY promoting the act of smoking...but facts are facts...read below....

Green tea may help explain "Asian paradox"
Last Updated: 2006-06-12 16:23:37 -0400 (Reuters Health)
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - While smoking is a well-known cause of heart disease and lung cancer, the rates of these diseases have remained inexplicably low in Asian countries where smoking is common. But researchers say there is growing evidence that green tea is one piece of the puzzle.
Writing in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Yale University researchers detail the body of evidence linking green tea to better heart health and a lower risk of cancer.
No one is suggesting that smokers ignore the danger of the habit and simply drink green tea. But research indicates that the tea's high concentration of antioxidants called catechins may offer a range of health benefits, according to Dr. Bauer E. Sumpio and his colleagues at the Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut.
Antioxidants help quench molecules known as oxygen free radicals that, in excess, can damage body cells and potentially lead to disease. Free radicals are natural byproducts of normal body processes, but they are also generated by external sources like tobacco smoke.
In Japan, China and other Asian countries, it is a social custom to drink green tea, which is less processed -- and richer in catechins -- than the black tea commonly consumed in the West.
And it's possible that this habit helps explain the so-called "Asian paradox," according to Sumpio and his colleagues.
This paradox becomes clear when looking at global health statistics, the researchers note. For example, for every 100,000 U.S. men, 348 will die of coronary heart disease each year. The figure for Japanese men is 186, despite the nation's higher rate of smoking.
Coronary heart disease (CHD) develops when the arteries feeding the heart become hardened and narrowed due to the buildup of cholesterol-containing plaques on the artery walls. According to Sumpio's team, lab research suggests that that green tea catechins -- particularly one called EGCG -- may help thwart the CHD process through their effects on "bad" LDL cholesterol.
The antioxidants may also help keep artery walls functioning smoothly, as well as inhibit blood cells from sticking together and forming clots.
Similarly, lab studies suggest that EGCG and other green tea antioxidants may block tumor formation or growth in a number of ways. This may, according to the researchers, help explain why the lung cancer death rate in Korea is unexpectedly low.
The rate of lung cancer death among Korean men is less than 40 per 100,000, versus 67 per 100,000 among U.S. men. The difference among women is more stark: 13 per 100,000 in Korea, compared with 45 per 100,000 in the U.S.
This is despite the fact that 37 percent of Korean adults smoke, while only 27 percent of Americans do.
The global disease patterns are not that simple, however; China has a higher CHD death rate than the U.S. and many other Western nations, and the rate of death from lung cancer is about the same among Japanese and American men. Green tea, according to Sumpio, is no substitute for kicking the smoking habit.
"Smoking cessation is the best way to prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer," he said in a statement.
SOURCE: Journal of the American College of Surgeons, May 2006.

I've been smoking for about 2 years and I now smoke about a half of a pack a day. I think my hair is the same as it's always been health-wise, except it's a little longer since I've been a member of LHCF. I probably haven't been smoking long enough to see many negative effects.

i think this becomes more of an issue when your older.

when hair loss and thinness kicks in, smoking can make it worse

and we all kno cancer treatments can aid you in complete hairloss..

its best to avoid smoking.

I essentially gave up coffee for organic Asian green tea. I see a difference in how I feel. It's great for overall health...and hopefully will aid me in some weight loss.

I used to smoke a half a pack a day. I stopped completely two years ago and the only difference I see is that the front sides of my hair have gotten longer. The density is still the same, so I don't know if cigs could delay your progress.

Funny. I have and Aunt and a cousin (both mother & daughter) who are both chain smokers and have the longest and thickest hair in my family...

They are both 4B; My aunt is BSL and cousin is Midback

My cousin's hair is really dry though...it feels like straw :perplexed

Back