Gym Ladies!!-How do You care for Your Hair

dawn1980

Hi ladies-
:ohwell:I haven't gone back to the gym yet this year and i just started on this site. I'd like to find out how some of you who workout take care of your hair while still sweating it out at the gym. My head really sweats and I am at a loss as to what to do. I'm texlaxed so I don't think I can do wash n' wear. Ideas please!!!:wallbash:

What saves me alot of grief is keepy my hair up so that my ends don't get wet from sweat and I don't touch my hair until it is completly dry. I usually clip the back up and go about my business. I don't let it down until my hair is dry. If I need to mess with it, I put just a touch of creamy leave in on my hair. I will use a wet washcloth and wipe over my edges to remove any sweat if I can't wash my hair that night. Closer to retouch time, I set my hair on smaller rollers so I have some flexroom with my style.

Also, keep your workouts in mind with your washing scheldule. If you just got your hair done try something that isn't high impact. I save my heavy duty cardio for days that I already planned out as wash days.

I'm natural and when my hair is out/loose, I put it in braids while I workout. When my hair is dry, I'll undo the braids and rock a cute braidout.

When my hair is in braids/twists, I just put it in a bun.

Either way, my health takes priority over my hair, so I always make sure I'm working out 4-5 days a week regardless of what's going on with my hair. If I know I want to wear a style that totally prevents me from working out while maintaining it (like a rollerset), I won't work out a day or two while I wear the style, but I will make sure I work out the other 4-5 days that week. After those two days of wearing the style, I usually go back to wearing temporary braids and braid outs or put my hair in a more permanent protective style that I plan on wearing for 2-4 weeks.

There are definitely ways to work out and wear cute styles. It just takes a little planning. :yep:

I remember a lady that used to work out in her magnetic rods (BIG grey size?) rockin' a large satin bonnet on her head with no shame! It was early in the morning, before sunrise, and sister girl would come in the gym, get her workout on (mostly weights, not much cardio, low sweat perhaps?) and then remove the rollers and be on her way to work with the rollers removed. Her hair was thick and full of body and mid-back length too! I was speechless...

I hear ya, girl! I work out 3-4 times a week and I sweat all over! Most of the time my hair is curly (ponytail, bun or clip) so I don't worry about my hair that much. I work out hard when it's curly. I make sure that I co-wash twice a week, in addition to my normal wash. Those washes tend to be on my workout days. My hair seems fine to me. When it's straightened, I tone down my cardio.

Back