Guide to Safely Relaxing Hair

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm going to self relax soon with Mizani and I just decided to read up on some techniques and get rid of the nerves. I used to relax my hair all of the time but over the last few years I ended up going to salons. I feel like I can't get past this length but an epiphany hit me. I'm in the process of correcting my hair wrongs. I was reading Sistaslick's (I think) article and it was an awesome read. Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxers (Self relaxers and potential self relaxers....READ IT!!!)

I read about doing protein treatments after relaxing but before neutralizing and a light protein afterwards. Just out of curiosity who does this? Reading the article was a good thing for me because it made perfect sense.

Any opinions?

Last edited:
I'm going to self relax soon with Mizani and I just decided to read up on some techniques and get rid of the nerves. I used to relax my hair all of the time but over the last few years I ended up going to salons. I feel like I can't get past this length but an epiphany hit me. I'm in the process of correcting my hair wrongs. I was reading Sistaslick's (I think) article and it was an awesome read. Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxers (Self relaxers and potential self relaxers....READ IT!!!)

I read about doing protein treatments after relaxing but before neutralizing and a light protein afterwards. Just out of curiosity who does this? Reading the article was a good thing for me because it made perfect sense.

Any opinions?
I love Sisterslick's articles too!!! I learned a lot in the beginning from her articles.

Off Topic...Your hair is pretty!!

Doing the mid protein step has really made a difference for me. I use joico kpak or cb smoothie reconstructor. I can't imagine a touch up without doing that now. That is one reason why I keep self relaxing.

I was wondering about this too. Im 15 weeks post and I talked to my stylist about a month ago becuase I was contemplating self relaxing because I didn't have any money to get it done. But I decided not to b/c I was so nervous about the order of the process. So, how does it go???? 1. do protein treatment a week before
2. don't irritate scalp
3. apply castor oil on new growth and leave in and oil on the lengths
4. base scalp prior to relaxing
5. apply relaxer only to new growth
6. smooth
Ok this is where the confusion starts:
7. ??????? Apply neutralizing shampoo and then protein conditioner or the other way around????????
8. Proceed with moisturizing shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. Procees with styling.

Is this right or wrong????

Hopefully I didn't hijack this thread:look::look:

Doing the mid protein step has really made a difference for me. I use joico kpak or cb smoothie reconstructor. I can't imagine a touch up without doing that now. That is one reason why I keep self relaxing.

Me too man, me too. It really gives me a good volume/strength boost, and I can't go without doing it now.

Glad to help y'all! But don't expect any youtube vids- y'all rough man. :lachen:

I was wondering about this too. Im 15 weeks post and I talked to my stylist about a month ago becuase I was contemplating self relaxing because I didn't have any money to get it done. But I decided not to b/c I was so nervous about the order of the process. So, how does it go???? 1. do protein treatment a week before
2. don't irritate scalp
3. apply castor oil on new growth and leave in and oil on the lengths
4. base scalp prior to relaxing
5. apply relaxer only to new growth
6. smooth
Ok this is where the confusion starts:
7. ??????? Apply neutralizing shampoo and then protein conditioner or the other way around????????
8. Proceed with moisturizing shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. Procees with styling.

Is this right or wrong????

Hopefully I didn't hijack this thread:look::look:

The protein step is done just prior to the shampoo step. :yep:

Me too man, me too. It really gives me a good volume/strength boost, and I can't go without doing it now.

Glad to help y'all! But don't expect any youtube vids- y'all rough man. :lachen:

I never get that flat limp relaxer look anymore when I do this. My fine hair needs this step.

I hear ya on the the videos:look:

Tee thank you! I'm always swooning over your siggy pics!

I'm just tired of my progress going down the drain guys because I'm 1. too poor to keep hitting the salon or 2. raggedy people (not my recent stylist... I love her to death, I just can't afford her right now.)

I got a bag full o' buttah blends and I'm ready to use it! :lachen: I need to hit Sally's up for some aphogee though.

Um and ditto on the youtube stuff. The videos were awesome though! :p

mid protein step is amazin!!I def reccommend it. Hair is stronger and hardly any breakage. Sistaslick is amazing too:yep:

When I was relaxed and texlaxed I did this and it made a WORLD of difference. I used ApHOGEE's 2-min Reconstructor (Review in my Sally's album) before neutralizing after the relaxer and the Two-Step Treatment right afterwards. I didn't have reversion or burns and it kept my hair uber strong. Be sure your hair likes protein first if you use a protein afterwards.

The biggest difference came in using the 2-min Recon before neutralizing. Even if I didn't do the Two-step afterwards my hair was STILL far stronger. :yep:

Learned it from Sistaslick too. She's a sharp lady. :yep:

i think i will do this today. but i dont have a light protein to use afterward. can i use Mane N Tail or an egg or something lol

i do have the aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and i am gonna use it before the neutralizing shampoo

I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. I'm planning on having my aunt relax my hair this evening and I want to make sure everything goes well. Do I apply the protein treatment BEFORE I rinse out the relaxer? And is that hoping that I am not burning at that time? :lol:

Back