GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

shtow

I suffer from a scalp condition which I believe to be dry scalp/eczema (I also suffer from the condition on my torso and have solved it on my torso with coca butter). Been to the derm, they gave me the same crap over and over and it always came back. So as many of you know, I have been using coconut oil and tea tree oil for my dandruff. It worked wonders!!!! I had no dandruff! But now the dandruff is back with a vengeance once I got a touch up. My theory is that relaxers dry out my scalp, as my sister's because she has the same problem. Im sooooo tempted right now to go back to my sulfur 8 light because it has proved the test of time but I know about the petroleum and blah blah blah. (Sigh) I was just loving my coconut/tea tree oil, I even added more tea tree and it helped none this week. :wallbash:. Anybody have any ideas?

You must be allergic to sulfates like me. I do have very dry scalp and once I stopped using shampoo with sulaftes in it it's been so much better What do you use to clarify & neutralize? HTH

Last edited:
You most be allergic to sulfates like me. I do have very dry scalp and once I stopped using shampoo with sulaftes in it it's been so much better What do you use to clarify & neutralize? HTH

Hmmmm. My chelating poo (Kenra) has sulfates in it. I have washed once since my touch up and I chelated so that may be it. My regular poo, Kenra MS has no sulfates. I dilute my moisturizing and chelating shampoos.

Try boundless tresses. It has sulfer, but no mineral oil/petrolatum. I suffer with a very itchy and sensitive scalp. When I had a relaxer, I washed my hair two times a week to eliminate the flakes. Now that I'm natural, I can't wash that frequently - just once a week - due to manipulation concerns. I apply bt to my scalp twice a week. I don't have any more itching and my hair seems happy.

Try boundless tresses. It has sulfer, but no mineral oil/petrolatum. I suffer with a very itchy and sensitive scalp. When I had a relaxer, I washed my hair two times a week to eliminate the flakes. Now that I'm natural, I can't wash that frequently - just once a week - due to manipulation concerns. I apply bt to my scalp twice a week. I don't have any more itching and my hair seems happy.

Oh! I always assumed it had mineral oil, etc. Thats good to know! Do u mind telling me where u purchase it/where it is available?

Yea so um, I googled and um can't buy it in the store. Guess I'm better off buying my own sulfur. :look:

I had this same problem. I had huge flakes and sores in my hair and no matter what i did I could not get rid of it. Its when I went natural that killed it. I haven't had any trouble- Well when I added color six months later I had the same problem all over again. that was my wake up call not to add no more chemical to my scalp and since I haven't no flakes none whatsoever.

Thanks for the links. And u r right, I know they contribute to my problem. Im going to forward those to my sister as well.
Your welcome.:grin: I hope you get rid of your problem. Note. once you start using sulfate free shampoo it will take 1-3 weeks for a great difference in your scalp:yep:

Do you base your scalp before you relax? You could try using a natural oil to base and then a something a little heavier like shea butter.

hmmm did you ever think about trying a light moisturizer on your scalp... or lenzi's request (WARNING IT TINGLES!!!) but i have the same condition on the top of my stomach... so i kinda feel your pain.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]http://www.qhemetbiologics.com/oilsandpomades.html[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Qhemet biologics Herbs & Sulfur Medicinal Pomade [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]New Base! Still 100% natural, this base is stiffer but yields a similar texture, offers better clarity and allows for easier spreading!

Soothes and alleviates flaky, irritated scalp & supports hair growth. Contains a proprietary blend of concentrated hair and scalp healthy herbs and natural sulfur in a virgin organic coconut oil base. Mineral oil, beeswax and lanolin free. Pale yellow color. Natural Coconut/slight sulfur scent.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I actually dug up this information a few days ago for another member on natural ways to eliminate flakes - it might help someone....

Take a couple of aspirin pills, drop them in a big cup with a little bit of water at the bottom. Let them sit there for a minute until they're soft and break up easily. Break them into tiny pieces, add more water and a touch of shampoo (enough to make the water slippery so it will work through your hair). Then pour the diluted water/aspirin/shampoo mixture over your scalp, slowly massaging into your scalp. Do NOT pile your hair on top of your head...just do the scalp (you should never pile your hair anyway it destroys your hair, just squeeze shampoo/water through the length). Let it sit for a few minutes...shave your legs, wash your body, whatever you want to do...and then rinse. Shampoo and condition as normal.

You can also add an apple cider vinegar rinse to the end of your shower routine. Just dilute a TBSP of ACV into a cup of water (just a cup, not a measurement) and pour over your head. You can rinse if you want, but it isn't necessary.

Coal Tar/Pine Tar Shampoo

Thyme is a fantastic remedy for dandruff! Just get fresh or dried thyme, pour in some boiling water and leave to steep in a glass bowl for about 30 mins. Then strain, add some cold water and pour over your head. You should do this as a final rinse, after your shampoo/conditioner/no poo routine. You may need to keep doing this for a few days, but the dandruff will go away. Thyme EO is also an option

Shikakai/Amla Hair Rinse

I use narobi but I had this problem with any relaxer. Just wondering, why do you think mineral oil and petroleum are not the devil?

Well, let me clarify and say that it's not the devil for everyone. I use products that have either because that product may be really good. For example: ORS Olive Oil moisturizer is amazing and is so rich and nourishing and is a life saver during the winter. Here are the ingredients:

Water Aqua , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Sorbitol , Peanut Oil Arachis Hypogaea , Castor Oil Ricinus Communis , Cetearyl Alcohol , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cyclomethicone , Petrolatum , PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Cetyl Esters , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , BHT , Carbomer , Stearic Acid , Triethanolamine , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , DMDM Hydantoin , Fragrance Parfum , Blue No. 1 CI 42090 , Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

Also, the amount of petroleum or mineral oil in a product may also be an important factor. Notice above how petrolatum is not that close to thte top of the list. :grin:

Hi shtow...I was wondering if Nairobi Relaxer is lye or no-lye? I have a similar problem with dry scalp and sulfates are a problem for me as well. I can only clarify once a month because of this. As someone else said, I also shampoo (with a SLS free poo) 2x's a week. My scalp has healed considerably since I joined the hair board.

Hi shtow...I was wondering if Nairobi Relaxer is lye or no-lye? I have a similar problem with dry scalp and sulfates are a problem for me as well. I can only clarify once a month because of this. As someone else said, I also shampoo (with a SLS free poo) 2x's a week. My scalp has healed considerably since I joined the hair board.

Hi daephae! Im not sure if it is lye or no lye.

How true, it works so why not use it. I know when I had a similiar problem, Sulfur 8 was a Godsend..
Yea I always go back to it. I just didnt want it to "clog my pores and stunt my growth" with the filler ingredients.

I am a fellow eczema sufferrer and yes it can be a pain:wallbash:.

I use Nizoral Shampoo to control it (initially prescribed by derm at 2%), now I use the over the counter 1% and it really helped me. ETA: I only have to use once a month now).

ETA: Also had to stop relaxing....

The thing with eczema is different things sets it off for folks who have it, so what bothers your may be ok for someone else.

I can't use: Shea butter (maybe only if it is a small amount in the product), Evening Primrose or Lanolin, or most things that have a very strong purfume in it or I will get itching, red scales and a bad flare up.

But if the Sulfur 8 Light worked for you, you should go back to it.

Good luck with finding a solution that you like.

Last edited:
While Sulfur 8, mineral may not be ideal, if it cures your problem I would agree that it's something that warrants consideration.

You mentioned that you didn't want to interfere with your growth by adding mineral, I guess my theory is your growth will be limited if the scalp condition continues anyway, so why not eliminate the condition - then resume the growth regimen?

Just a thought because I know how miserable it is to have an itchy scalp. When my scalp was outta control (not that yours has reached this point) I felt like a bum on the street always scratching and pulling at my head.

I wonder if folks thought I had lice or something during those days. I kept a rat-tail comb....just in case I needed to work my scalp ANYWHERE.

Well, let me clarify and say that it's not the devil for everyone. I use products that have either because that product may be really good. For example: ORS Olive Oil moisturizer is amazing and is so rich and nourishing and is a life saver during the winter. Here are the ingredients:

Water Aqua , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Sorbitol , Peanut Oil Arachis Hypogaea , Castor Oil Ricinus Communis , Cetearyl Alcohol , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cyclomethicone , Petrolatum , PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Cetyl Esters , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , BHT , Carbomer , Stearic Acid , Triethanolamine , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , DMDM Hydantoin , Fragrance Parfum , Blue No. 1 CI 42090 , Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

Also, the amount of petroleum or mineral oil in a product may also be an important factor. Notice above how petrolatum is not that close to thte top of the list. :grin:

I think most people think petroleum is worse on the scalp than the hair. I agree with what your saying though. I wonder if the sulfur keeps the pores from clogging so that the petroleum doesn't do so much harm. I dont know.

I think most people think petroleum is worse on the scalp than the hair. I agree with what your saying though. I wonder if the sulfur keeps the pores from clogging so that the petroleum doesn't do so much harm. I dont know.

I use it on mu scalp sometimes, too, lol. I had a friend in college who had psoriasis and the Olive Oil and Carrot Oil moisturizers helped her out a great deal. So did the ORS Replenishing Conditioner. What moisturizers do yo use (besides the one in your siggy?) Better yet, what's your regimen? :grin:

I am a fellow eczema sufferrer and yes it can be a pain:wallbash:.

I use Nizoral Shampoo to control it (initially prescribed by derm at 2%), now I use the over the counter 1% and it really helped me. ETA: I only have to use once a month now).

ETA: Also had to stop relaxing....

The thing with eczema is different things sets it off for folks who have it, so what bothers your may be ok for someone else.

I can't use: Shea butter (maybe only if it is a small amount in the product), Evening Primrose or Lanolin, or most things that have a very strong purfume in it or I will get itching, red scales and a bad flare up.

But if the Sulfur 8 Light worked for you, you should go back to it.

Good luck with finding a solution that you like.

Thanks for your input:yep: I used to use Nizoral. It was ok for a while. Wouldn't use it now. I guess the man upstairs wants me to go natural cuz had no flakes until I relaxed. He's gonna have to wait cuz Im not ready to transition just yet. lol Guess its back to old faithful-sulfur 8.

Thanks for your input:yep: I used to use Nizoral. It was ok for a while. Wouldn't use it now. I guess the man upstairs wants me to go natural cuz had no flakes until I relaxed. He's gonna have to wait cuz Im not ready to transition just yet. lol Guess its back to old faithful-sulfur 8.

Do you plan on changing relaxers?

Back