Growth aids and BCO causing shedding/breakage?

AngieB

Hello everyone..I'm still fairly new at this hair thing..and I have a question. I have noticed after I wash and condition...dry...style, etc..I have very little shedding. But after a few days when I start applying my MN mixture and/or BCO...the back of my t-shirts is always covered with hair..could it be that my hair doesn't like all this stuff?

This is possible. How are you wearing your hair? I keep my hair off my neck and back as much as possible to avoid breakage. Also how and with what are you moisturizing your hair ends? Are you sealing them with an oil once moisturized? Our hair needs to be moisturized daily and sometimes twice a day.

Well I usually put it in a ponytail and bobby pin it down on work days..Days like today...I just let it hang...I use either moisture max (don't know if that's good) or Vaseline Intensive Care lotion for moisture and was sealing that with bco...Is this not good? Thanks for your reply..

Well I usually put it in a ponytail and bobby pin it down on work days..Days like today...I just let it hang...I use either moisture max (don't know if that's good) or Vaseline Intensive Care lotion for moisture and was sealing that with bco...Is this not good? Thanks for your reply..
I have never used any of these as a moisturizer on my hair and the black castor oil can be used as a sealant but personally I find that it weighs my hair down. I like lacio lacio and salerm 21 as moisturizers - but I also use BB moisturizing growth lotion and the BB moisturizing lotion in the pink and white bottle as they do not have any mineral oil or petrolatum in them. I found Mane n Tail olive oil in the jar to be a great moisturizer as well. I seal with almond, evoo, jojoba, carrot, amla, coconut, or vatika oil.

ETA: Try keeping your hair off your neck especially if you are neck or shoulder length. This is one of hardest humps to pass over when growing out our hair. Wait until your hair get a little longer before you keep it hung down for any extended periods of time.

Last edited:
Thanks...will do...and I'll try the moisturizers you mentioned..Right now my hair is probably 2" or so from APL...maybe BCO is too heavy for my hair? Thanks Aggie for your assistance...

Thanks...will do...and I'll try the moisturizers you mentioned..Right now my hair is probably 2" or so from APL...maybe BCO is too heavy for my hair? Thanks Aggie for your assistance...
You're welcomed AngieB. That's why we're here - to help each other.

Back