Growing it Healthy - Old School

CenteredGirl

Today I was riding the train to work and a sista with a couple of little girls boarded. They were cute as buttons, about 5 and 7 years old and they wore their shiny, healthy long hair is well manicured pigtails. It took me back to my childhood and I realized my hair was pretty long back then. When I got to high school, I started doing it myself and it started to break off and get dry.

I thought I'd share this thread because there is a lot to learn from the way our mommas/aunties took care of our hair. These methods were inexpensive and *gasp* they worked. Feel free to add to the list:

1. Exclusively protective styles during the day. Pony tails in number from 2 to infinity were the doo of the day. Each adorned with pretty bows or baubbles.
  2. Hair washed every week, combed out into little bantu knots to dry overnight.
  3. Hair pressed a day after wash day, with lots of grease (Hey remember petroleum based pressing grease? it worked back then *gasp*):ohwell:
  4. At night, hair put up in a protective style and a scarf tightly wrapped around our little heads. No scarf on the pillow in the morning!:grin:
  5. God forbid we had the opportunity to really show hair length. I never remember wearing my hair down!:nono:
We have gotten so sophisticated since then. Glancing around the products we use today (quite a few are really pricey), the fancy spendy equipment (PIBBS, Sedus, Chi's), we have moved hair care to another level. For the most part, it's a good thing -- I don't think any of us have a hankering for greasy straight hair that does not move!

On the other hand, there is a lot to learn from old school methods. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

You are soo right. When I was younger, my hair was to the middle of my back and really thick and healthy. I only received relaxers twice a year.
Once I got my hands on it, it broke off quick. I am now trying to achieve that healthy look again. I am slowly but surely getting there.:grin:

Yep this took me back too!! Once I started doing my hair thats when it went downhill!!! I guess we had more of a "leave it be" mentality back then... of course with lots of grease added in!!!

I agree and my grandmother's number one staple was the heating cap. We got greasy scalps and the heating cap, conditioners and the heating cap. The wash and press on the Saturday to prepare for church on Sunday and the remainder of the week and yes ladies, my hair was just below bra strap length growing up and there is nothing slick and easy about my hair except for the use of my grandmother's HEAVY hand.:yep:

Wait... yall had long hair from pressing with grease?

Am I confused?:ohwell: Wouldnt that have cooked the hair? Do yall mean putting grease on afterward? My mom would curl my hair then grease my scalp.

But the list does remind me of how I used to wear a ponytail all the time and that helped.

Yes, indeed. My grandmother would grease the life out of my scalp, she said to protect the hair from the HOT COMB and then press it. I tell you, ain't nothing like pressing comb hot grease running down your scalp and neck. Today, I use both natural and still some old school hair oil. I had long healthy hair, it didn't stop my growth not one bit. I don't understand that blocking hair growth, but that's just me. I do know it didn't block my hair growing up. I didn't cut my hair off until I was 22 y/o. That's why I do more lurking than anything because the feeling a lot of laides are trying to get in their hair all comes from some excellent old school remedy that they won't use today. I can't use to much oil, it makes my scalp itch but I still oil my scalp.

I remember those days. Our hair would be so straight from the pressing comb and so shiny from the grease, not hair oil, grease :laugh: It would look like patent leather. My momma used prell shampoo and ultra sheen :yep:

I still use blue magic. And I aint gonna stop........

I wanna go back to greasing my scalp. But I remember scratching my head all day, and I dont really notice any effect from it but itchiness. Plus its just hard to get through this mess :nono:

Yes, indeed. My grandmother would grease the life out of my scalp, she said to protect the hair from the HOT COMB and then press it. I tell you, ain't nothing like pressing comb hot grease running down your scalp and neck. Today, I use both natural and still some old school hair oil. I had long healthy hair, it didn't stop my growth not one bit. I don't understand that blocking hair growth, but that's just me. I do know it didn't block my hair growing up. I didn't cut my hair off until I was 22 y/o. That's why I do more lurking than anything because the feeling a lot of laides are trying to get in their hair all comes from some excellent old school remedy that they won't use today. I can't use to much oil, it makes my scalp itch but I still oil my scalp.

You better know it! My mom would wash and plait my hair and the next day press with ultra sheen or DAX. My hair was long and pretty and once I started doing it, it was down hill from their.

My little girl hair is below brastrap and I give her a semi-relaxer twice a year because I don't want her to lose the thickness. I am the only one who does her hair and I won't let anyone else do it!

Today I was riding the train to work and a sista with a couple of little girls boarded. They were cute as buttons, about 5 and 7 years old and they wore their shiny, healthy long hair is well manicured pigtails. It took me back to my childhood and I realized my hair was pretty long back then. When I got to high school, I started doing it myself and it started to break off and get dry.

I thought I'd share this thread because there is a lot to learn from the way our mommas/aunties took care of our hair. These methods were inexpensive and *gasp* they worked. Feel free to add to the list:

1. Exclusively protective styles during the day. Pony tails in number from 2 to infinity were the doo of the day. Each adorned with pretty bows or baubbles.
  3. Hair pressed a day after wash day, with lots of grease (Hey remember petroleum based pressing grease? it worked back then *gasp*):ohwell:
  4. At night, hair put up in a protective style and a scarf tightly wrapped around our little heads. No scarf on the pillow in the morning!:grin:
  5. God forbid we had the opportunity to really show hair length. I never remember wearing my hair down!:nono:
We have gotten so sophisticated since then. Glancing around the products we use today (quite a few are really pricey), the fancy spendy equipment (PIBBS, Sedus, Chi's), we have moved hair care to another level. For the most part, it's a good thing -- I don't think any of us have a hankering for greasy straight hair that does not move!

On the other hand, there is a lot to learn from old school methods. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

I still use petroleum jelly on my hair and my daughter's hair. :yep:

My 11 yr old daughter (pic in my kodak album) has hair almost to her behind because all her life I have did ole school haircare to her hair. I wash it every other week. The first week, I will put it in plaits and she will wear it like that for a week, I do not touch it or comb it. The following week, I'll flat-iron lightly, re-braid, and leave that style alone for a week and not touch it. I had to do my own hair at her age and I was never able to get my hair longer than neck length. So after I had her, unknowingly, I was protective styling her hair and it grew to lengths I never though imagineable. Now I'm on a journey to see how long I can actually grow my hair with the knowledge that I have now.

:yep::yep:ITA although I only got my hair pressed on special occasions. I love to see little girls with pigtails. I hate seeing little girls with weaves, dubies, etc. Just let them be little girls.

I love seeing little girls with long pigtails. My mom never used grease on me, but I did get my scalp oiled(not often). I always wore my hair in pigtails or a ponytail, and rarely was it not braided. I'm with y'all my hair was long until I started doing it myself and then it was all downhill, dry breaking. I will definitely be doing similar practices on my future girls.:yep:

I know exactly what you're talking about. I would get Saturday presses with the pressing grease and my hair would shine like lacquer. My hair was MBL as a kid. I only saw my hair down when it was washed or being pressed. I actually caught a whipping for letting my hair down at school! I was showing off my length to a girl in my class and didn't know how to put my hair back the way my mom did it. :grin:

i remember those days. it was an all day event with my hair. My mom used to take about 4 or 5 hours total from wash to detangle to press. I think the teddy bear knots were the easiest part. When i was 10 I begged her to let me cut it to above my ears and I haven't let it grow past APL since then.:look:

I remember those days...:rolleyes:, my mama used to burn the heck out my scalp with that old skool blue magic grease so I would always jump every time that comb touch my scalp or when the hot grease would sizzle on my scalp....:rolleyes: used to get popped upside the head with that big red comb anytime I would duck my head down :nono:....but those were the days...priceless:spinning:

My ponytails used to have...using one, two, three, four colors...connecting ponies n rubberbands trailing to the back of the nape leaving only that much hair out

....and then there was the jerry curl!:wallbash::grin:

i remember those days. it was an all day event with my hair. My mom used to take about 4 or 5 hours total from wash to detangle to press. I think the teddy bear knots were the easiest part. When i was 10 I begged her to let me cut it to above my ears and I haven't let it grow past APL since then.:look:

I do this now with my dd. We do it every Sunday and it's called "Ladies Day". On Saturdays, I tell her guess what tommorrow is, and she says "Ladies Day"!!. We also polish nails and toes.

I probably love ladies day more than she does:grin:

I remember those days...:rolleyes:, my mama used to burn the heck out my scalp with that old skool blue magic grease so I would always jump every time that comb touch my scalp or when the hot grease would sizzle on my scalp....:rolleyes: used to get popped upside the head with that big red comb anytime I would duck my head down :nono:....but those were the days...priceless:spinning:

My ponytails used to have...using one, two, three, four colors...connecting ponies n rubberbands trailing to the back of the nape leaving only that much hair out

....and then there was the jerry curl!:wallbash::grin:

:lachen: @ jerry curl

Man I use to ate getting my hair pressed. To reduce the heat my mommy or granny would wipe it on a paper towel or rag. I would duck down like a turtle in its shell when that comb touched me!

But I always came out fried, and layed to the side.

But I do remember in elementary school other girls having grease just laid in their parts. I didn't get that. I asked my mom and she said that by the end of the day that grease will be absorbed into their scalps. My mom never put that much on me but still sulphur 8 and blue magic! However, I never had hair down my back as a lil one. My hair was just tough! Everyone on my dad's side has jerri curls to THIS DAY! If they couldn't handle their; what was I going to do! THANK YOU LHCF! THANK YOU! :grin:

Oh yes this definitely brings it all back for me. I was the same way with the washings and pressings too. My mom would press my hair with that grease in the small blue or red container with a silver tin top. Can't remember the name of it though. All I know it's petroleum:lol: My hair was pretty long then too, but I can't say that if I was to do the same things now as my mom has done, if it would get back down my back. But never know!;)

My 11 yr old daughter (pic in my kodak album) has hair almost to her behind because all her life I have did ole school haircare to her hair. I wash it every other week. The first week, I will put it in plaits and she will wear it like that for a week, I do not touch it or comb it. The following week, I'll flat-iron lightly, re-braid, and leave that style alone for a week and not touch it. I had to do my own hair at her age and I was never able to get my hair longer than neck length. So after I had her, unknowingly, I was protective styling her hair and it grew to lengths I never though imagineable. Now I'm on a journey to see how long I can actually grow my hair with the knowledge that I have now.

Off topic, but you have some gorgeous hair!!! You are making me want to go natural. I'm only 9 weeks post but I may not turn back. :ohwell:

I can attest to this (braids or flat twists=low mani and hair grease). This is my 8 year old. She's natural, APL, unstretched (in the back). I haven't straightened her hair in about a year so I have no idea how long it really is.

http://public.fotki.com/brownbabydoll25/my-baby-girl/

ETA: I still grease her scalp with yellow "hair food". It ain't broke, ain't I'm not gonna fix it!

Last edited:
All of that was true for me back in the day except the scarf thing. I never wore anything on my head when I was little.

And hair was only down for Holidays and picture day at school. The rest of the time, it was braids and ponytails! Mom didn't have time for all that in the morning.

Ahh, the old methods. Gotta love 'em. Some of them anyway.

Last edited:
I do this now with my dd. We do it every Sunday and it's called "Ladies Day". On Saturdays, I tell her guess what tommorrow is, and she says "Ladies Day"!!. We also polish nails and toes.

I probably love ladies day more than she does:grin:

Aww, that's so sweet! You are creating some nice memories for your girl.:yep:

what type of grease were ya'll using? :lol:

my mom would put TONS of grease on my hair and scalp like it was going out of style, and then plait it up. And guess what?

My hair never grew past my ears :look:

Wait... yall had long hair from pressing with grease?

Am I confused?:ohwell: Wouldnt that have cooked the hair? Do yall mean putting grease on afterward? My mom would curl my hair then grease my scalp.

But the list does remind me of how I used to wear a ponytail all the time and that helped.
:yep:...well not me...but my grandma (who's close to 90) gets her near MBL silver hair pressed with grease and has been doing it this way probably since she's had hair. The she sets her hair on sponge rollers with brown PreCon gel. She used to wash her hair with Ivory dish soap before my mom started doing her hair.

Now if I used grandma's method on my hair, my length would stop at my ears:perplexed

My mother used to press my hair with the pressing oil in the blue and white square shaped can. I think they still make it. On Easter she would give me a "page boy" 'do, all going back and flipped up on the ends. Ain't nothing like hearing the sizzle and feeling the hot grease melt onto your scalp! :lachen: My hair was in the middle of my back though, so something she was doing was right.:yep:

Last edited:
My mother used to press my hair with the pressing oil in the blue and white square shaped can. I think they still make it. On Easter she would give me a "page boy" 'do, all going back and flipped up on the ends. Ain't nothing like hearing the sizzle and feeling the hot grease melt onto your scalp! :lachen: My hair was in the middle of my back though, so something she was doing was right.:yep:

Apex Pressing Oil.
187344.jpg
I don't care what the naysayers say 'bout grease and oil...I love this stuff!!

what type of grease were ya'll using? :lol:

my mom would put TONS of grease on my hair and scalp like it was going out of style, and then plait it up. And guess what?

My hair never grew past my ears :look:

Good old Ultra Sheen, either the blue or green!:yep:

Did your Mom burn your hair while she was pressing it or damage it in some other way?

Back