GROWING HANDS

mahogany66

Has anyone heard of the saying "growing hands". My friend was complaining about her stylist's prices so I told her that she should start learning how to do her OWN her, she told me that he has GROWING hands and that her hair doesn't grow when she touches it:confused: . I tried to explain to her that anyone can make their hair grow with proper care, but she totally does not agree.

I was wondering if anyone else has or know of someone who has this belief.. It is really crazy to me:lol:

Dunno about growing hands, but my mother has some weird belief in 'growing heads.' She said some people have growing heads and some don't. Basically she thinks some people's hair just doesn't grow. :huh: I asked her if people that don't have growing heads have to get their relaxer touched up. She said "yes." I said,"then I guess it's growing." She thought for a second then nodded and said "yeah, I guess so." That was the end of the conversation. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I've heard older people say that......I think it's just an old superstition (sp?).
My grandmother was said to have 'growing hands' because when she did all the kids/grandkids hair it grew well or at least seemed to.

People always tell me that I have growing hands or magic hands. If I do their hair, it flourishes. If I cut their hair it grows back really fast. If I stop doing thier hair it breaks off or falls out. Go figure.

sareca said:
Dunno about growing hands, but my mother has some weird belief in 'growing heads.' She said some people have growing heads and some don't. Basically she thinks some people's hair just doesn't grow. :huh: I asked her if people that don't have growing heads have to get their relaxer touched up. She said "yes." I said,"then I guess it's growing." She thought for a second then nodded and said "yeah, I guess so." That was the end of the conversation. :ohwell:

:lol: ..FUNNY!!

I used to get my hair cornrowed and weaved by a lady who said she had growing hands. my hair actually grew--flourished. This might be because of the protective styles though--but I do love when she does my hair.

sweetcashew said:
People always tell me that I have growing hands or magic hands. If I do their hair, it flourishes. If I cut their hair it grows back really fast. If I stop doing thier hair it breaks off or falls out. Go figure.

...same here.

it is an old superstition but i believe it. i had my relaxed hair done by a woman who said she had growing hands and for that one year, my hair grew past bs, thick and healthy. it has never been that long since.

ive had others do my hair both relaxed and natural and it did not flourish.

sweetcashew said:

The same with me.

hey I can't knock it because i only cut my hair at night during a full moon.:)

sareca said:

HAHAHAHAH!!!

No disrespect to ma but do you know how many times I've laid down this explanation to people and the REALIZATION of what they've been saying for years comes to fruition over their faces.

TOO PRICELESS!

FeelinIt said:
HAHAHAHAH!!!

No disrespect to ma but do you know how many times I've laid down this explanation to people and the REALIZATION of what they've been saying for years comes to fruition over their faces.

TOO PRICELESS!
I tried to pretend I didn't enjoy it. :sekret:

Growing hands is another myth that black people believes about black haircare. I use to hear this all the time when I was growing up. My mother use to say she had growing hands because she was able to get people hair to thrive.

Well, I don't know.

I think a green thumb IS an actual skill - where people know (and have trained themselves) how to take care of plants - to instantly identify droop and disease, or spot a random bug from 12 ft away.
Growing hands might be something similiar - a hairdresser than knows how to treat your hair like antique lace, can tell when you sit down if you need a protien treatment or a moisture treatment, can 'tell' the exact second to start smoothing the relaxer and the precise amount of shampoo needed to neutralize it, can feel exactly where your hair is tangled and untangle it without breaking a strand.

Looking at it from the outside, and not knowing (or seeing) all the tiny touches that this person does as second nature might make it seem like magic or superstition, but really, it's just knowledge.

nappywomyn said:
Well, I don't know.

I think a green thumb IS an actual skill - where people know (and have trained themselves) how to take care of plants - to instantly identify droop and disease, or spot a random bug from 12 ft away.
Growing hands might be something similiar - a hairdresser than knows how to treat your hair like antique lace, can tell when you sit down if you need a protien treatment or a moisture treatment, can 'tell' the exact second to start smoothing the relaxer and the precise amount of shampoo needed to neutralize it, can feel exactly where your hair is tangled and untangle it without breaking a strand.

Looking at it from the outside, and not knowing (or seeing) all the tiny touches that this person does as second nature might make it seem like magic or superstition, but really, it's just knowledge.

I agree with what you said. This woman who used to press my hair when I was younger was like that. She was gentle, never burned me and my hair wasn't damaged at all. You couldn't even feel her hands in your head. It was like magic.

Hi I am a new member today. If I cut my hair it grows back within a couple of weeks. But I never cut past 2 inches.

nappywomyn said:
Well, I don't know.

You said it!:)

LOL ...yes I have heard of this. My parents are Jamaican and this kinda a common saying among many of them. I do think that there is something like growing hands. But not has magical as many people are preceive this to be. In my experience there are people that seem to know what to do with hair. If they work with you hair it strives (Think about it) But I dont think there is any magic associated with it. Then there are other people even many hairdressers that ruin you hair. It just does not strive even though it may even seem that they are doing things right. I guess some people just have a magic touch. If you look around they are even on this board

Think about it, there are soo many women who have started at the same place in hair care. but other surpass them in no time? Why? They are just doing something right!:look:

I use to believe that too. That people had growing hands. But after joining this club I know now that it is how you treat your hair that make it grow.

Love your hair and it will grow
dont burn out, over braid or over relax your hair and it will grow
simply feed you hair like you feed you body and it will grow

nyreebnks said:
I use to believe that too. That people had growing hands. But after joining this club I know now that it is how you treat your hair that make it grow.

Love your hair and it will grow
dont burn out, over braid or over relax your hair and it will grow
simply feed you hair like you feed you body and it will grow

Yes, how you handle your hair and what you put on it has a lot to do with retaining length.

I have the exact opposite problem...my hair has been thriving and my stylist is taking all the credit :)~

my gf thinks our stylist has "growing hands" but, if you do entertain that notion, how can they be growing hands if all she does is run the flat irons thru it??:confused:. she doesnt touch or do anything to her hair until after its shampooed, and blow dried and an occassional trim. how can that short amount of time that you are actually in her chair make your hair grow??? i dont get it. shes not standing over her hair with some majic sand doing voodoo or anything. i heard that all my life, the saying growing hands, but have come to realize its all about the care for ones hair.

sareca said:

L O L !

sweetcashew said:

Same with me... :perplexed my grandmother heard the same thing as well and she was a hairdresser for over 40 years. I picked up where she left off except I do hair on the side and not for a living.

nappywomyn said:
Well, I don't know.

What a great explanation :up: and it makes sense to me anyway.

nappywomyn said:
Well, I don't know.

You worded it perfectly, my mother has a green thumb she can throw dead cuttings on the ground and it grows into a healthy plant - i believe her experience and degree in Botanical & environmental science helps though;) I think some people have gained such expertise in a field they don't "consciously" have to think to do things so it seems they have growing hands

I had a similar experience with this. I went to an older black stylist (Her clientele ranged in age from 75-100 years old) few years ago and my hair was bouncy, shiny and I had significant growth.

At the time, I felt older stylists had growing hands but I realize now she knew what she was doing.

Back