Growing Hair without stylists

It's been over 10 years since I sat in a stylist chair, but my hair didn't take off in growth and thickness til I joined LHCF.....I do EVERYTHING myself. :yep:

Everything done at home except relaxer touch-ups; really bad damage:eek: done when self-relaxing. Trimming, I have not had done since last summer. My hair is thicker, more lustrous, growing without split ends. I find I am becoming more creative with styling since depending upon me, myself and I:p !!

sareca said:
I can count, on one hand, the number of times I've been to a stylist.

Same with me. First of all, there is no one in this country that knows how to take care of black natural hair. Either I'll have to go to Swedish hair dressers that ooh and ahh and scream Help when they see my hair or the African hair dressers that pull it out or try to do something crazy or violent with it. No. I think I'll pass on that one.
My hair is in excellent shape and I did it all myself! :D

rugen22 said:
Hi all, I think it's amazing that you guys dont have to go to stylists. But how about when you need to steam your hair? What do you use? I've tried hot towels but they always go cold within minutes...

What are you trying to accomplish by "steaming" your hair? Do you have conditioner in it? Maybe then we can answer your question.

To the OP, I only go to my stylist for touch ups and trims every three months and even she marvels at how long my hair is.

what an ultra dope and inspiring thread ladies.

thank you.

i needed to read this--as i begin to finally learn how to roller set my hair.

with care,

~A.

I stopped going to a stylist months ago. i was reading some stuff about self relaxing on here and decided to try myself. I have underprocessed a little bit but my technique gets better each time and is straightening better.

I noticed my hair was growing faster than when I went to a stylist. The relaxer I use (ors) does not burn like the stuff they use at the salon. I think my hair stylist was leaving the relaxer on too long. Some tend to do that. The thing is i noticed my hair just kept thinning over years. I do think it was some of my part but I think it was the stylists part too with using too much heat on my hair after using a relaxer. why have to go under a dryer and THEN BLOW DRY MY HAIR STRAIGHT AND THEN USE A MARCEL IRON.

Every time i went there she always wanted to trim my hair. I thought maybe i just needed trimming all the time. What was happening was my hair would grow and she would keep cutting it and thats why it didnt grow much. I learned that you dont need your ends trimmed that much. Maybe once or twice a year if you keep up with your ends and moisturize them well.

So yeah I followed up on all the healthy tips on here and my hair is the healthiest it has been for yrs. Grant it theres still some areas that still need work but its bettere than it used to be. I abused my hair for yrs and it just wouldnt grow much. Im thankful for this board.

I stopped going to the stylist when I bought my house because I couldn't afford it. That was 2+years ago. But I didn't start healthy hair care until I found the boards last summer. Since then, I've learned to professionally & carefully relax my own hair and install a weave. I do protein treatments and deep condition every wash. Everything I've learned was from the board and my hair has never looked so good.

I'm afraid to go to the stylist in the event they may mess up all my hard work. No way!

I've got everything I need at home..leave ins, treatments, 'poos, conditioners, moisturizer, hood dryer, natural products..EVERYTING!!!

And I'm happy.

I've been to a stylist about 3 - 5 times in my entire life. Each time was more of a "let me try this one more time" kind of thing.

I only go to the salon for relaxers, but I really want to become salon free. I just went in for a relaxer at the first of the month and he repremanded me about waiting so long in between visits. He was like, "You need to be back in here in three weeks." I was like, "What am I gonna need done in three weeks?" He said, "Just bring it in and let me look at it." :eek: I'm thinking...I love you baby, but my hair is not a car...I don't need to bring it in for you to look at it.

With the boards I'm becoming a lot more confident in my ability to care for my hair. I do like getting relaxed in the salon, but reading these posts makes me really want to consider going salon free.

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
I only go to the salon for relaxers, but I really want to become salon free. I just went in for a relaxer at the first of the month and he repremanded me about waiting so long in between visits. He was like, "You need to be back in here in three weeks." I was like, "What am I gonna need done in three weeks?" He said, "Just bring it in and let me look at it." :eek: I'm thinking...I love you baby, but my hair is not a car...I don't need to bring it in for you to look at it.

With the boards I'm becoming a lot more confident in my ability to care for my hair. I do like getting relaxed in the salon, but reading these posts makes me really want to consider going salon free.

Chayil

That's how my stylist was at my last visit. She predicted that waiting so long between relaxers was going to cause breakage. I basically told her to show me the breakage now or shut up. Actually, I said something more like "Do you see any breakage?" but I'd like to imagine I said something real gangsta like that. She said "No, but that is because I don't come in often enough :perplexed ." I understand it's all about repeat business and building a clientele, but why run off the people who will come in once every few months and pay good money and refer their friends? I always over-tip too!

I do everything myself. Last salon visit was April '06. It took me nearly 2 years to understand that my stylist was cutting my growth unnecessarily. Its the longest its been in my adult life:eek:

I actually believe that stylists don't distinguish between 'uneven' and 'split' ends:ohwell:

Mariaat40 said:
What are you trying to accomplish by "steaming" your hair? Do you have conditioner in it? Maybe then we can answer your question.

To the OP, I only go to my stylist for touch ups and trims every three months and even she marvels at how long my hair is.

I would've thought that if one was steaming their hair which is probably another word for deep conditioning, then they would have conditioner in it, right?

i was just wondering exactly that. a friend of mine has been going to a stylist for years and her hair recently came out. i tried to give her hair advice but she just found another stylist.

personally my hair is the longest it's ever been and i've been to a stylist twice in the last 5 years and that was for a wedding style. it definitely can be done.

I've been doing everything for my hair for two years. What amazes me is the ladies who go to stylists but have lovely hair in spite of them. People like Supergirl, Adrienne, and SherryLove are braver than I am!

Back