Growing Hair without stylists

I've NEVA gona to a stylist. Besides, at least this way I get my hair done whenever I want, and I don't have to wait six hours to be seated...:lol:

I haven't went to a stylist for anything but braids for about 7 years. I only go once a year if that to get braids. Everything else I do myself and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only reason I set foot in a salon is to buy my Nexxus Phyto Organics and Alterna products.

I've had my hair done by stylists only 4 times in my life. The last time was 8 or 9 years ago.

So yes, it's absolutely possible.

growinglong777 said:
I was wondering how many ladies on the site have grown their hair, healthy without the help of a stylists..I just wanted to see how many have done it, without reading every ladies fotki. I am trying to decide if I want to ever go to a stylist again, because I haven't found one in my home area, that is great, that I can trust, and who has as much knowledge as the ladies on this site.

I grew my hair all by my dammy, havent' been to the shop in a year. When I first joined LHCF, I would make an appointment with my stylist and then I'll think to myself...$65 to get hair done or $65 to buy more hair products and I of course choose to spend the $65 on hair products:grin: . I mean there really isn't any purpose for me to go to the shop. I relax, dc, do protein treatments myself, so there really wasn't a point to go to the shop anymore..oh and when I did go to the shop to get my hair done for an interview or something, when I got home I would just baggie my ends, so actually I was wasting money....now if I have an interview, I whip out my caruso's and do a fierce set...sooooooo who needs a stylist:confused:....not me...errrrr....I do need to learn how to do my own trims but my friend girl does that...so I'm all good:D

lol this was the state of my hair when I was going to a stylist. Nuff said!

IMG_0553-vi.jpg

its been so long now that i've lost count. last time i sat in a stylists chair was probably 2002 or 2003. today my hair is the healthiest that it's ever been.

I have been to a stylist exactly one time in my life. :lol: It was my pre-lhcf days, but even then I knew enough to know most of what she was doing was killing my hair (and she tried to sneek in a hair cut :mad: ).
So it's totally possible to grow long, healthy hair with only the info from this board.

It's been years since I went to a stylist last. When I discovered the hair boards in 2003 was when my healthy hair care regimen started and I began to learn how to do everything (I already knew how to do my own relaxers).

[

According to the hairdressers I had the worst grade of hair ever. Bantu, TCB Bone Straight, and Revlon Super did not get my silky. I had a barber tell me my hair jammed up his clippers. I have been told by so-called professionals that my hair is extra-resistant and slow growing.

OT: you sound like my hair twin!
I haven't been to a stylist since spetember 2006, My hair is already thickening and growing nicely.

I only go to stylists when I need weave or braids or a slight trim. Since I've been on this site I've become so independent. I rarely go to stylists and I do my own braids so next thing to learn is the weaving.

I think I need to start letting someone else do my relaxer touchups. I am underprocessing BIGTIME and I think I need some help. :look:

KeraKrazy said:
[

According to the hairdressers I had the worst grade of hair ever. Bantu, TCB Bone Straight, and Revlon Super did not get my silky. I had a barber tell me my hair jammed up his clippers. I have been told by so-called professionals that my hair is extra-resistant and slow growing.

OT: you sound like my hair twin!
I haven't been to a stylist since spetember 2006, My hair is already thickening and growing nicely.

Hair triplets...The stylists would mutter that I had "ni**a/bad hair" just low enough for me to hear it, because they knew my mom didn't play that. (Ugh, sometimes I wish that I was a disrespectful little brat back then and had read these stylists their rights when they said that). The last time that I went home, I had the longest (it's not even that long at all-about 3" past SL-but thick and healthy) and bounciest hair in the shop. Everyone stared but only one person told me that my hair was pretty. That is why I thank God and LHCF!!!

I grew my hair without stylists and loving it. Started Healthy Hair Journey in NOVEMBER 2004 and have been super successful. I only go to stylists (Dominican) for just that the style---wrapp/doobie famous Dominican blowout. As far as growing my hair I did all of that myself with the help and aid of hairboards of course. THANK YOU ladies of LHCF I do not rely on any stylist to take care of my hair, grow my hair, love my hair, keep it healthy or etcetera---I do all the Tender Loving Care---for me going to a stylist is just that---STYLE. I go "maybe" once a month on average... most of the time once every 2 months to the Dominican Salon for "STYLE" purposes.

If you want something done right ........you know the rest. I have learned the only difference between me and a stylist is they have been through school and I haven't. Anything I want to know I go to this or other sites or pick up a book and learn it. I feel like I got away like a bandit when I found this site. :p

I haven't been to a stylist since I started my hair journey back in January 2006. After reading some hair books and finding this website and bhm, I realized that the stylists were doing everything that was not supposed to be done...direct heat (blow dryers, flat irons, hot combs), excessive combing, too many trims, etc. Then I always would wonder why my hair was not growing :confused: . And plus they never do what I want and ask them to do, they only do what they think is best or looks best. Plus I hate waiting there for hours just to get my hair done even though I made an appointment. I realized I can take care of my own hair in the comfort of my own home :grin: . I don't think I'll be going to a stylist anytime soon because I have been accomplishing my hair goals and I have made so much more progress on my own.

I go to the Dom. salon every once in a while for a rollerset. I wash my hair and condition by myself. I just feel like "I" know my hair and take better care of it than a hairdresser would. I know what conditioners work, and what doesn't. I go to the salon for my touch-ups and trims, that I am def. ok with and maybe an occassional rinse. All the pampering is done by me. I don't think there is any "secet" that the hairdressers know that I don't. I've learned so much on the board. I remember when I was younger I swore there was a secret potion or something the hairdressers knew about that would make my hair grow super fast :lol: . Now, all I need is good conditioning and maybe vitamins.

I don't go to a stylist, and I will never go to a stylist again ( unless it is a very special occasian, and I need a actual style.) the last time I went to a stylist i left with 3rd degree burns ( which you can see on my fotki), and she cut my hair ( she said she was only clipping the ends)..for the record she was dominican....I was devestated, because I had just got relaxed after a 3 month stretch....anyways, with everything I've learned from my hair growth journey, and the forums I belong too, I really don't think I need a stylist..most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about anyways, especialy when it comes to "hair growth"

Candy1978 said:
I don't go to a stylist, and I will never go to a stylist again ( unless it is a very special occasian, and I need a actual style.) the last time I went to a stylist i left with 3rd degree burns ( which you can see on my fotki), and she cut my hair ( she said she was only clipping the ends)..for the record she was dominican....I was devestated, because I had just got relaxed after a 3 month stretch....anyways, with everything I've learned from my hair growth journey, and the forums I belong too, I really don't think I need a stylist..most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about anyways, especialy when it comes to "hair growth"

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I only go to the stylist for my touchups which is every 10-12 weeks. I have tried self relaxing but my hair never turns out as good as when my stylists does it. Plus my stylist doesn't pressure me to trim my ends, nor does she ever really comment on me going so long without a relaxer. But I really would like to master the relaxer technique and be stylist free someday...:yep:

I saw a stylist for only the 3rd or 4th time in over 2 years back in Nov 06 for a TU after 6 months of stretching. She left 3/4 my hair underprocessed so I ended up doing a corrective myself 2 weeks later. It isn't like she didn't know it was underprocessed because she proceeded to rollerset and put me under the dryer. My hair looked like: ____****____ (straight, kinky, straight) on a given strand of hair after I washed my hair out 2 weeks later from the set.

I stay out of the salon and my hair does so much better because of it. I have been able to grow my hair how I want without the help of ANYONE else's hands in my hair thus far. I will be using braids with extensions from this weekend forward to transition, but soon I will get the help of my braider to teach myself to cornrow and box-braid my own hair with extensions. I can pretty much do anything maintenance-wise I need to, to my hair (relaxers, color (perm and temp), pressing, rollerset, rod-set, twist, etc).

Hi all, I think it's amazing that you guys dont have to go to stylists. But how about when you need to steam your hair? What do you use? I've tried hot towels but they always go cold within minutes...

My hair has been doing wonderfully without a stylist. I have such high standards now for how my hair should be done, they'd probably kick me out the salon before I could even get the style finished...:lachen:

The last time I went to a stylist was about four years ago when she cut my shoulder length hair to my neck:eek:! Why? Becasue "I needed my ends trimmed," or shall I say "She just wanted to cut my hair!" Like some of the other ladies said, since I've started my healthy hair practices I do everything myself, and what I can't do yet, I trust my mom or sister enough to do it (relaxers). The next time I go to a stylist will probably be for my wedding:lol:! My hair is back to the way it used to be, even longer and I give God and myself the credit for it...:lol:.

*Oh and this board!

Mango387 and KeraKrazy, I knew it! Hair triplets!:grin: These beauticians had me thinking I was all alone in the world!!

KeraKrazy, your hair is very pretty!

I haven't been to a stylist since the Fall of '99. I went to a different stylist in 2004 for a few marcel iron straightening sessions but I haven't been back since. I have more hair on my hair now than I did since I was a child. For me, stylists=thin hair.

Today my father's mother was like "Why don't you go to the beautician and let her do your hair?" I was like "Why should I go pay for someone to do something that I can do myself?"

I only get my hair 'done' when it's time to get a relaxer and when I need braids put it in. I have done enough damage to my hair in the past with over lapping, so I have someone I trust do it, and I can't braid to save my life.

Other than that, all my maintenance work is done at home by yours truly. It's my responsibility and I am the only person that can truly nurture my hair since I wear it around 24/7.

Back