Growing from Shoulders to BraStrap??

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Hey ladies,
I would like to be nosy and get everyone's answers on how they styled their hair during the hair growing journey at shoulder-length hair (but they are now brastrap or close to it), what they thought contributed to healthiness/thickness, and what their most important hair ritual is for them that is done on a regular basis.As one's hair grows the new hair is thicker and less managable than the rest of the hair...how do you deal with that and keep your tresses in tip top shape.:D

At alittle past shoulder length myself, I have a hard time trying to keep or put my hair in a hairstyle for the day. I'm either to busy, don't want to be bothered, or too lazy. Snap me out of it ladies!! I need your help. I want long,silky, thick hair too.;)

I did buns 75% of the time, then I started to rollerset. I also made sure to deep condition weekly and stayed away from direct heat.

i'm not at brastrap yet, but Im less than 2 inches away now so I guess i can answer.. Im not much of a bun person. I prefer braids (with and without extensions) and rodsets. I noticed that with stretching relaxers (never relaxed before 12weeks but now I am transitioning) my hair got WAY thicker before it really got very long. I try to wear styles where I dont have to manipulate my hair for at least a few days.

I'm not currently brastrap, but when I was, I almost always wore my hair out. I get migraines and the weight of my hair pulled into a bun or ponytail often caused me to become sick :barf:

I wore my hair in tight pin-curls: pulled pins out, hung head down towards toes and finger-combed.

Wore it straight: wrapped, pulled pins out...shook and I was done.

Wore braids: two braids like pocohantas (only on relaxed, fun days)

If my hair was a mess and I needed to look professional: I did a bun, french roll using nice clips or chinese stix.

I was on the hair lady's website (www.growafrohairlong.com) and she said that at this point, you should wear protective styles so that your ends aren't being frayed by the friction w/ your clothing. I guess this does make sense b/c I did get a little breakage when I started to wear my hair down a little more often, now that I've reached shoulder-length(barely), but it can be a little frustrating at times. Also, she mentions that once you are a couple of inches past shoulder-length (maybe armpit-length), the hair just rests on the chest and lays there. Hope this helps and makes sense.

19sweetie said:
I was on the hair lady's website (www.growafrohairlong.com) and she said that at this point, you should wear protective styles so that your ends aren't being frayed by the friction w/ your clothing. I guess this does make sense b/c I did get a little breakage when I started to wear my hair down a little more often, now that I've reached shoulder-length(barely), but it can be a little frustrating at times. Also, she mentions that once you are a couple of inches past shoulder-length (maybe armpit-length), the hair just rests on the chest and lays there. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Thanks for the site.

Good question. I was wondering about this. The french roll is a good idea. However, at shoulder length, I have a very sickly looking bun--so I'll skip that one. But I was thinking about those fake buns that I see people wearing.

At my touch-up two days ago, I realized i'm about 1" to 1.5" from brastrap, so I'll try to answer the question, even though i've only been here for 2.5 months and still need to learn new things.

As far as styling my hair, i've been wearing buns nearly everyday, except today when I had to go to my sister's graduation and I styled my hair in a french twist. I haven't worn my hair down since March 19 and i was so happy to see some length the other day :grin: w/o excessive shrinkage from the new growth.

I plan on keeping my hair bunned practically the whole summer. I'm actually afraid of wearing it out b/c so far since January 2005 i've had FIVE mostly unnecessary trims, the last one being April 24th, and I really wanna go 6 months w/o a trim, cuz I want to retain my length, cuz as of right now, i'm back at my December length.
I've been CO washing once a week, and washing once a week but i'm going to change my routine a little and cowash more often b/c i'm going to exercise more. I really love CON and Aphogee 2min Recon, which i used to use once or twice a week, but I had a bit of a protein overload but now that i'm slightly overprocessed, I'm going to need some protein, so it's back in my regimen. I'm deathly afraid of the Aphogee for Damaged Hair. It only causes more breakage for me.
Besides that, i'm going to get SCurl and Coconut or Shea butter oil to seal my ends and keep it moisturized. I'm hoping for a growth spurt this summer and I hope you all get some too! Happy growing! :D

vikkisecret said:
Hey ladies,
I would like to be nosy and get everyone's answers on how they styled their hair during the hair growing journey at shoulder-length hair (but they are now brastrap or close to it), what they thought contributed to healthiness/thickness, and what their most important hair ritual is for them that is done on a regular basis.As one's hair grows the new hair is thicker and less managable than the rest of the hair...how do you deal with that and keep your tresses in tip top shape.:D

At alittle past shoulder length myself, I have a hard time trying to keep or put my hair in a hairstyle for the day. I'm either to busy, don't want to be bothered, or too lazy. Snap me out of it ladies!! I need your help. I want long,silky, thick hair too.;)

while I was growing hair from shoulder length. I wore the same style everyday. Out and straight. I'm one of those that never wear protective styles. I protect it in other ways. I wrapped it every night. Took out in morning and go. The less manipulation the better. No gels, no braids, no buns, no brushing. That helped me to bra strap.
Now my hair seems to be growing faster and getting healthier. I'm past bra strap now but don't know how many inches. Now, I only comb it once a week and thats when I wash it. Its so much easier for me to manage now then when it was shorter. I started stretching my relaxers and I wear my satin scarf religiously. Put on at nite, wake up, take off and go. no combing, brushing or even touching.

sylver2 said:
while I was growing hair from shoulder length. I wore the same style everyday. Out and straight. I'm one of those that never wear protective styles. I protect it in other ways. I wrapped it every night. Took out in morning and go. The less manipulation the better. No gels, no braids, no buns, no brushing. That helped me to bra strap.
Now my hair seems to be growing faster and getting healthier. I'm past bra strap now but don't know how many inches. Now, I only comb it once a week and thats when I wash it. Its so much easier for me to manage now then when it was shorter. I started stretching my relaxers and I wear my satin scarf religiously. Put on at nite, wake up, take off and go. no combing, brushing or even touching.

I'm curious how you were able to wrap you hair when you were 8+ weeks post relaxer. I can only wrap for the first few weeks myself.

senimoni said:
I'm curious how you were able to wrap you hair when you were 8+ weeks post relaxer. I can only wrap for the first few weeks myself.

I can wrap it up to about 9 or 10 weeks post. I get the dominican blowout up till then and wrap right after or I do the blowout at home. Roots are straight.
After about 9 weeks I don't wrap anymore. I just put in straight style and cover with satin scarf. Keeps it nice, flat and smooth.

sylver2 said:
I can wrap it up to about 9 or 10 weeks post. I get the dominican blowout up till then and wrap right after or I do the blowout at home. Roots are straight.
After about 9 weeks I don't wrap anymore. I just put in straight style and cover with satin scarf. Keeps it nice, flat and smooth.

How do you do the blowout at home?

sylver2 said:

Thanks for the info. Are you still planning on stretching 26 weeks or was that just a test or something?

California said:
How do you do the blowout at home?

After I wash I either rollerset or blow dry straight with comb dryer. Then I section off each piece from botoom up, take my round brush to blow out roots and ends twirling and blowing. Its hard mastering that round brush technique at first. I've had that dominican blowout mastered since 1991. My mom taught me. I'm just lazy and don't like to do it to my own hair much.
Thats how I get my daughters hair straight after wash. She doesn't have a relaxer. Her hair is very thick and coarse.

senimoni said:
Thanks for the info. Are you still planning on stretching 26 weeks or was that just a test or something?

Oh no, it wasn't really like a test. It was more like giving my hair a rest and nurturing it. A stylist overprocessed it last year.
No, I probably won't stretch it that long again. Not that it was hard, I just love the bone straight look.
I use to touch up every 4-6 weeks. Now after that long stretch I will touchup every 8-10 weeks from now on. Right now I'm at 6 weeks post and don't even notice it.

Back