Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Checking in:
Things are progressing as expected, WL is about an inch away now, maybe less. I got a bit of a growth spurt this past 2 months (or it could be how I was checking length before....lightly brushing before hand this time vs. not before). I'm confident I will be right at WL by 11:59pm 12/31/15 lol.

I can't remember the last time I dusted or did an S&D....might take one of my passes in December.

Looking back over my posts I can say that as this year has progressed the biggest things that have helped my retention are:
- this challenge
- loose twists and buns (which means low manipulation and protective styling)
- adding a good protein routine
- using products lightly
- being consistent with deep conditioning
- low manipulation on wash day

HHJ!

@caliscurls

Are you re-upping on the challenge? Your original end date was 11/15 let me know platinum diamond etc.
If you already posted I must have missed it.

Last edited:
@caliscurls

Are you re-upping on the challenge? Your original end date was 11/15 let me know platinum diamond etc.
If you already posted I must have missed it.

@Lucia yes, thanks! I'm going Diamond and really need a search and destroy session. I need to check back through this thread to figure out the last time I trimmed...its been a long time. This challenge has really broken my need to trim all the time.

This round I'll be adhering to the phrase less is more so I'll just keep moisturizing my hair & do the inversion.

When my membership for the LHCF ended I went back to the ayurvedic herbs for hair care, tried Carol's Daughters Monoi line, & kept my hair up but it was soo nappy. I didnt cut before aiming for the diamond challenge all because I'm no longer scissor happy. So thank you @Lucia, although, I should've due to unevenness & SSK.

Well I did my trim this evening. Getting the ends straight like in the video just wasn't happening so I ended up doing the Curly Girl trim method, curl by curl. It took about an hour, maybe a little longer, but in comparison to the usual method which includes tension blow drying and using the Split Ender in really small sections, this was much faster.

I am officially ready to do the next six months now!

Looks like this was my last trim back in May 2015, wow. I've been looking at my ends and I do have a few splits, not a lot though..way less than I expected. More than likely the protein treatments are the key ingredient I was missing before. They really do help the hair retain moisture better and the Komaza has been the most effective for me so far.

To be honest I don't feel like trimming :rolleyes: but I know I need to just get it done....maybe next time I redo my hair (I've been saying that for a month now) :look:

This round I'll be adhering to the phrase less is more so I'll just keep moisturizing my hair & do the inversion.

When my membership for the LHCF ended I went back to the ayurvedic herbs for hair care, tried Carol's Daughters Monoi line, & kept my hair up but it was soo nappy. I didnt cut before aiming for the diamond challenge all because I'm no longer scissor happy. So thank you @Lucia, although, I should've due to unevenness & SSK.

Personally I don't like Carols Daughter products at all I tried different products and they did nothing for me no slip no frizz control zero moisture

Last edited:
Last night, I pre-poo'd overnight with my AVJ mix & Brahmi/Amla Oil. This morning, I added ORS Olive Oil Replenishing DC under a heat cap for 1.5 hours. CW'd with Honey's Handmade Pumpkin & Safflower Apple Butter, SSI Okra Reconstructor, ACV Rinse & an 80% rinse out of SM African Black Balancing Conditioner.

I LCOB'd with Cozy Moments Protein Mist, Treluxe Untie the Knot, Keravada Super Gro on scalp, Duafe Amla on length, Kreyol Essence HBCO Peppermint on edges and Kyra's Shea Medley Rejuvenate butter on ends.

My water & hair regimen is solid, but I need to greatly improve on my exercise & healthy eating regimen.

@Lucia The Monoi shampoo & hair mask are good. I didn't try the conditioner. What products do you like?

I haven't tried the monoi line or all their products
I didn't like the mimosa hair honey it was like grease weighed my hair down and made it greasy. Some black vanilla stuff no go for my hair.
The healthy hair butter was Ok but nothing spectacular granted my technique was not consistent then.
I've found some good products and I make my oil and butter so even though I switch up some things I've got my favorite products on rotation.

@Lucia I'm still going strong in my mini twists. I redid some of the ones around my edges. I'm loving my flaxseed gel. It's giving me a soft hold but it isn't drying out my edges. I got my loc soc last week and I have been wearing it every night since I got it. It actually stays on my head. I'm using up some old products while I wear these twists. Hopefully, I can get rid of one of these creamy moisturizers by February.

I'm back taking my vitamins daily. I'm also back in the gym and running. I enrolled in a lose big challenge for the next eight weeks. I'm hoping to drop 4-8 pounds before my next half marathon.

Finally, I'm still researching hair cutting shears. I want a quality pair so I can do my own dusting and not worry about causing problems because I'm using cheap shears. I'm still on the fence about trimming my own ends in April.

I realized that in January of 2013. I got my last relaxer. I almost pulled a Malcom X :couchfire:during that one but I'm thankful because I learned to care for my own hair.

Today my hair was extra dry and today was arctic cold :cold: out so I didn't cowash or anything. I started operation re-moisturize :orders:
Here's what I did (LBO)
Misted my hair with water until slightly damp and squeezed the water into my hair
I didn't want damp or wet hair
Heavily applied CRN moisture butter focusing on the ends- I've been using this butter or the deep conditioner as a leave in during winter because they're much thicker than the regular hair milk or conditioner
Sprayed with aphogee protein reconstructor spray and sealed with oil sometimes I use whipped Shea butter instead and that will last me all week even if my hair is not damp it's still moist.

Last edited:
I noticed some broken ends on wash day on Saturday and I'm pretty positive it's because I used the Ouidad clarifying shampoo and curl recovery. So I am going to hold off on using that product for a while. Also, I'm really interested in the CD's Monoi Line as a strengthening conditioner. Perhaps it will blend better with the Marula line. With Marula, it is so easy to detangle. And going back to Ouidad, I could feel how much extra pulling I had to do to my hair to get it to detangle.

Lesson learned.

Do any of you ladies know the difference between joico moisture recovery and intense hydration? TIA

MIA :lol:
Ladies when you come back please update

@mysblossom SD: 10/15 ED: 5/16

@TraciChanel SD: 5/15 ED: 11/15
@Daughter SD: 6/15 ED:12/15

@*Michelle* SD: 5/15 ED: 5/16
@keranikki SD: 5/15 ED: 5/16
@PureSilver SD: 7/15 ED: 7/16
@traceedeebee SD: 10/15 ED: 10/16
@GrenadianGal
SD: 10/15 ED: 10/16

@sky035
@HelpMe12
@Mz.MoMo5235
@ezina

:wave: Thank you for the reminder!

I am doing wash 'n go's until I "need a break from my natural hair." Then I am wearing crochet braids during breaks from the wash 'n go's.

So far this is working well.

My last keratin treatment + blowout revealed hair at the nape a little past my collar bone. My sides are a little past my ears.

This year my 2016 theme is Simple, Productive, On-task, Traveling Light, Serene.

In that vein, for the remainder of this hair journey I'm going to clarify once every two weeks, deep condition + detangle once a week, and cowash and style everyday. Products are Shea Moisture's high porosity line and Kinky Curly products.

We'll see how much growth this yields.

Best of luck with your hair goals, ladies! We got this!

Hmmm, I really have this urge to pull out my hempseed butter but I still have so much of the shealoe and I really do want to at least use up three quarters of of it before moving on to another butter. I even want to try my hands at mixing some of my butters together to create my own concoction:look:

Hmmm, I really have this urge to pull out my hempseed butter but I still have so much of the shealoe and I really do want to at least use up three quarters of of it before moving on to another butter. I even want to try my hands at mixing some of my butters together to create my own concoction:look:
That'll be a lovely experiment. I'm overdue for making my body butter. Will your mix just be for your hair?

:curtain: Hi Ladies! @Lucia, thanks for the reminder. Sorry I've been MIA. I've been staying up on my regimen of DCing w/ heat and taking care of my ends. Since November I've had a sew-in and I've been leaving my hair alone. I believe I am at WL now. When I take out my sew-in this weekend I will update this post.

Good luck ladies and happy hair growing :)

Last night, I put Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner on my braids, sat under the heat cap for 30 minutes, CW'd and rinsed it out and rinsed out 80% of the V05 Strawberries & Cream.

I LCOB'd with Carefree Curls Gold, Liquid Gold Ginger Cream, Keravada Super Gro on scalp, Duafe Amla on length, Kreyol Essence HBCO Peppermint on edges and Kyra's Shea Medley Refresh & Hydrating butter on ends.

Back