Got beautiful braids (but scared of breakage)

Sweetyb

After 2 years, I finally broke down. I got my braids done yesterday! They're beautifully done, everyone's just in awe of them! I got medium individuals done with Black 'N Gold's Millenium hair. I think the type of hair I bought added to the braids because they look very sleek and sexy. They didn't even really need to be dipped in hot water at all. I think my stylist (who I've seen for braids 4yrs ago) did a great job on hiding my long puff of hair into sleek and soft braids. /images/graemlins/up.gif

I've been spraying my Pantene Leave-in throughout the base of the braids since last night--I'm scared to death of breakage. She used only 2 packs of hair (my head doesn't feel heavy yet looks nice and full) and I kept telling her to make the parts bigger yet they look small to me. The braids to me are pretty small compared to their "medium" and I think next time I'll get the large instead. One side of my head feels good but the other side (the last side she did) hurts a bit. I had to have her redo some on that side as well. Is this normal? (Okay, now some bad thoughts:) I guess I keep invisioning each of these braids pulling out half the hair it's braided on from my scalp, or just plain falling out (I know, "WTF?"). I feel like I've spent so much time growing and keeping my hair healthy for braids to ruin it. But I got them because I needed a change.... Long story short, I guess I need a lot of support from those that regularly get braids and know 'it's gonna be okay' /images/graemlins/smile.gif, or what is recommended that I do to my braids right now. I'm definitely gonna visit the hairlady's website.

(pictures pending)

Can't wait to see the pics. I think it's a good idea to visit/follow the hairlady advice. Den1 has her hair in braids and follows the crown and glory technique. Check out her website. Good luck.

Your hair should be fine as long as you use a moisturizer and wrap them in a silk/satin scarf at night, I oil about every other day...need pics, need pics, need pics....

Sweety your hair will be fine. Be sure to moisturize the whole hair strand daily, not only the roots. Also, deep condition once a week, no less than twice a week.

I finally got used to the braids, thank you ladies! I was just freaking out (*laughing* @myself) because I have stayed away from extensions for 2 years now. I just don't trust my hair with anyone and I've come so far with my hair to have it mess up again.
My scalp feels fine and the braids are comfortable.

Thanks for the advice! Can you deep condition your hair while in braids? I have been using a Pantene moisturizing spray mixed with Infusium on my hair daily and plan to wash and condition with Pantene once a week.

I just had braids for the first time since I've been natural a few months ago. I did a hot oil treatment (used EVOO) once a week and then washed with dilluted shampoo and conditioned. I kept the braids in 2 months and once I took them out I had no problems, tangles or issues at all.

When are you going to get pics- I'm dying to see the braids! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back