Goodbye YesToChemicals, Hello Giovanni!

BoaterGirlKim

I posted previously about the Yes To line eliminating its leave-ins and changing its poo and con formulas from natural ingredients to include chemicals including sodium hydroxide (which I believed caused my hair to shed when I used NTM Silk Touch). I tried the new Yes To Cucumbers regular conditioner and had the same shedding. The Yes To Cucumbers Leave-In gives me the greatest slip during relaxer stretches, and I used my last squeeze of it 2 days ago at 5 weeks post :cry4:

Yesterday out of desperation, though I read bad reviews about Giovanni Direct Leave-In since the formula changed, I decided to try it anyway since I'm really trying to move away from chemical-laden products. I used the GDLI after cowashing and it gave me the slip I was looking for! I also had no shedding, just 2 or 3 random strands during wet-bun styling. Right now about 6 hours after applying, my hair feels really soft and moisturized. I heeded the advice of a YTer - a little goes a long way. I used a dime-sized amount (hard for a heavy-hander like me LOL) and was able to cover my roots, ends, and strands with just that little bit because of the thickness of the product (I'm just past NL, thin strands).

I found some YTCucs Leave-In for sale on line and scooped up 3, so I'll use the 2 lines interchangeably, but just wanted to add my 2 cents on Giovanni. I love the natural ingredients of the new GDLI formula, esp. with aloe vera right at the top, and apparently my hair loves them, too :lick:

I just tried it for the first time a few days ago and I tell u I just might be in love. I'm installing yarn braids and I usually coat my hair with anything I can find in my house that I don't mind being heavy handed with. So I saturated my hair and got great slip but the great thing was when I gave up braiding for that night I sectioned my hair and twisted the rest up big and bulky the next day when I returned to braiding I took the twist out and bam my hair was super duper defined and soft as all get the f out seriously I took out the rest of the twist and I had the best half twist out ever ever if I wasn't for the yarn braids being so hard to take out I would have been rocking it now 3 days later I'm still not done and I have two big twist left and they are still supper supper soft I can't wait to use it again as a setting lotion for an out style

I love giovanni direct leave in!!!!...I just ordered two bottles of the leave in:grin:

Where can I get a bigger oz bottle of it again???

I use this for my DD I think its okay and gives good shine.

Someone mentioned the one with the leaf on the front instead of the dots is even better. I am still trying to find it.

Leaf on front ingredients:
Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil*, Clary (Salvia Sclarea)*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia)*, Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara)*, Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil*, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris)*, Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil*, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja)*, Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglucinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived).
*Certified Organic

dots on front ingredients:
Aqua (Purified Water), *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, *Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, *Betula Alba (Birch) Extract, *Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, *Achillea Millefolium Extract, *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, *Equisetum Arvense Extract, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, *Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Extract, *Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract, *Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, *Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Extract, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Natural Fragrance

Last edited:
I'm glad you got something which works for you! I don't like Giovanni's DLI because it just leaves residue in my hair and I have to rub it in so well... it's nearly finished anyway... I found a few conditioners since then which work well on my hair ^o^ I do however love the Triple Treat Condish though...

I'm glad you got something which works for you! I don't like Giovanni's DLI because it just leaves residue in my hair and I have to rub it in so well... it's nearly finished anyway... I found a few conditioners since then which work well on my hair ^o^

SPILL the beans!!!

Back