Votes: 18 17.6%
  • I don't like Lets Jam

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • I don't like Black Gel

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Other, Please explain

Votes: 9 8.8%

• Total voters
So, I never hear anyone talking about these oldies... I used some lets jam on my hair last week... it really works on my edges... and thought of you guys...
Do you like or dislike? Whats your experience been?

I keep reading its so horrible because it contains mineral oil but from the youtube vids I've seen it looks like thats the only thing that'll slick my resistant edges down, I'm gonna give it a whirl because my hair :lachen: @ me when I try to use IC fantasia to slick my edges down:sad:

I've been using brown gel mixed with DAX pressing grease to smooth my edges lately. My edges laugh at Fantasia IC gel too. Also Fantasia IC gel doesn't do well in extremely cold temps. It freezes on me like coconut oil.

Last edited:
I've never used black gel in my hair (at least that I can remember) but I've always been a fan of Let's Jam.

I keep reading its so horrible because it contains mineral oil but from the youtube vids I've seen it looks like thats the only thing that'll slick my resistant edges down, I'm gonna give it a whirl because my hair :lachen: @ me when I try to use IC fantasia to slick my edges down:sad:

fantasia :wallbash:

dont get me started on their products... :heated:

:lachen: my edges do a lot of laughing too! :lachen:

I like Let's Jam, I think it's an excellent gel. If I'm going to use a gel that's the only one I use. I don't tend to use gels that much anyway so it's all in moderation.

I like lets jam to slick down my edges but I've found that it tends to turn greasy after a few hours.

I was using let's jam on my daughters hair it and slick them back good for about 2hrs then it turns greasy the same happens with Elasta Qp but it does not even slick down good.

I haven't used brown gel in years, but I did try Let's Jam recently and like other ladies have said, it turns greasy after a couple hours.

I used to use Let's Jam back in the day and it turns to a greasy mess for me too. I don't have a problem with black gel if it is ecostyler gel. I only have a problem with it because it can get on clothes especially if you get caught in the rain or something.

BTW: If you don't like Fantasia try Ecostyler clear. It's great.

I used Let's Jam a few years back and my hair broke off something terrible! I don't use that or the brown Gel. Now I'd only use a gel from an all natural line like HairVeda.

When I was around 19-21, I used it when I was growing out my hair with a phony pony...My hair grew, I'm assuming the protein in the ampro helped.

This was one of my staples from back in the day. I used both together. To cut the greasiness I would black gel first, then apply the jam on top of the black gel and brush in. This gave me the hold, the shine and the condition in one shot. If I would jam gel first , then black gel, the results were not the same and I got more of the greasiness. I would do corn row style twists like that and that part of my hair was always the part in the best condition. I still use jam but interchangeably with elasta qp. I use fantasia gel now but am ready to try the ecostyler. Back in da day I used Ampro black gel.

even before i knew about taking care of my hair i never used gel of any color.

the funny thing is yesterday i was watching a youtube video and then ran to cvs to buy some black gel lol. to me the texture is soft and silky, i got the ampro brown gel. i think i like it. i will never use it all over my hair though, not even to slick my hair back. i only got it for my baby hair lmao.
if i need a gel for my whole head i use afroveda pur whipped gelly or hairveda whipped gelly.

I gave up Let's Jam when I first joined the forum for the much raved about Fantasia ICE. Fantasia always made my hair feel wet and took FOREVER to dry. I will be going back as my braids get older and I need to keep them looking neat.

So, I never hear anyone talking about these oldies... I used some lets jam on my hair last week... it really works on my edges... and thought of you guys...
Do you like or dislike? Whats your experience been?

This is so old school. I loved Let's Jam. When I had relaxed hair I used that as a conditioner/moisturizer. I noticed that pomades works well with my hair. I didn't like the protien black gel maybe because it didn't curl my hair as much as I liked. when I first cut off my hair a girl recommend that I use the protein black gel for defined curls. It didn't work well but a gel from Gold Medal product worked so much better.

(Aaron Hall)Jam,oh Jam. Teddy jam for me. Sorry I couldn't resist. Anyhow, Jam in the summer is like a big no no. Me and my cousin back in the day ruined towels as well as shirt collars with that stuff and for some reason we kept on using it. Duh:perplexed. Black gel dries my hair out so right now thanks to ya'll and YT Elasta QP and IC Fantasia and now Ecostyler are in the rotation.

i have a huge thing of eco... i might heat up my shea butter and pour it in there and whip it together... ill see what happens lol

You definitely want to use something moisturizing with the ecostyler gel. I haven't tried it with shea butter but I have better results when applying a leave in and coconut oil then fingercombing through that when I mixed it all together first and then applied it.

I gave up Let's Jam when I first joined the forum for the much raved about Fantasia ICE. Fantasia always made my hair feel wet and took FOREVER to dry. I will be going back as my braids get older and I need to keep them looking neat.

The glycerin in Fantasia makes it dry slowly because it is so humid where I live. Now I just blowdry on cool for a few minutes when I use any gel all over so that I don't have to worry about the mess.

Jam caused breakage and dryness when I used to use it but it has been a little while. My edges don't really give me grief...:takecover:

my edges dont give my problems either. infact they are always lay down because my hair is fine and very silky and thinner than the rest in the front. i just like to make baby hair lmao.

I remember black gel.. me and my edges do and we think harshly of it... let's jam really did hold down my fine hair pretty well but that was during my lack of haircare days

I like Let's Jam but I'd rather go with Elasta QP, Fantasia IC, or Hairveda Whipped Jelly. I might revisit it in the near future though.

Back