Votes: 18 17.6%
  • I don't like Lets Jam

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • I don't like Black Gel

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Other, Please explain

Votes: 9 8.8%

• Total voters
i haven't tried jam since being all natural but it doesn't work that good for me. I gave up brown gel when I started my journey although I would try the ecostyler brand. I love ecostyler gel. If you haven't copped some please do. Just try it. 2.00 is nothing. I like the pink and white so far. Lays my edges down so good.

They both are made with cheap ingredients. There are better quality products out there. I stopped using both of them back when I was a teenager. After using them for an extended period of time they did more harm to my hair than good. Jam melts and leaves orange greasy spots and black gel makes your hair hard, dull and crispy. And it flakes. Elasta QP Glaze, Fantasia IC and EcoStyler are better for the hair. I can't use the EQP anymore now that I'm natural though. It's not heavy enough to hold my hair down.

Last edited:
I used that crap from when I was about 9 to 16 years old. :nono:I can't believe I used to slap that prostyle brown gel on my hair thinking it would solve my hair problems. My hair was broken off and I had loads of new growth. I remember all of my friends at school using it. All the black females used it no matter what hair type they were. Unless you just had your hair flat ironed or pressed out. We would all be in the girls bathroom before school started brushing down our edges with old tooth brushes or slapping our hair in pony tails to smooth the hair down... :nono:

Lets jam smells good... that's what attracted me to it when I was younger and that's all it did.. smell good. It did nothing for my hair...:nono:

I'm all natural and healthy these days and I just use IC Fantasia gel and I will be trying Ecostyler when my Fantasia runs out...

I no longer use brown gel or let's jam. I hate the hard crunchiness I used to get from cheapie protein gels and it seemed to dry my hair out. Jam is too greasy. I use Fantasia ic for definition and eco styler if it's sleekness I desire. As soon as I'm able I'm looking into aloe vera gel/juice. Aloe is know for it's healing properties and I'm trying to make healthier choices for my hair. Also my gel will have to be alcohol free..that is another drying agent. I'm anti mineral oil as well.

Last weekend I bought some Let's Jam. I was looking for Elasta QP Mango Butter but CVS didn't have any. I'm desperate to find something for my edges, so I decided to try the Let's Jam in case it actually worked. Like others, my hair :lachen:at Fantasia IC gel, and aloe vera gel as well. Let's Jam helped me to slick my hair back into a bun and hold my edges down. It held the first day pretty well, until I got home, but it's been inconsistent since. I just don't know - all I want is a bun that lasts all day, doesn't puff up, and has some sheen, even if it isn't shiny. Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Shine water based wax seemed promising for a while, but it's not strong enough. I may try to research some more water-based waxes for my hair if I can't find a gel that works.

I like lets jam to slick down my edges but I've found that it tends to turn greasy after a few hours.

I agree...I'm about 11wks post and need something to slick down my edges. When I first put Let's Jam on them and brush it I look like I just got my hair relaxed...about 1 hour later the naps r back with a greasy shiny vengence!!!!

i love love love ampro black gel lol . for some reason it never makes my hair super hard or stiff. just gives me great hold . i really like using it on 3 or 4 day hair , gets rid of the fizzies . and holds my edges like nothing else . i have the super size jar lol

I hate them both. Jam leaves a greasy trail sliding down your forehead, and the black gel leaves my hair dry. hard and crunchy.

I used to use Jam when I was a teenager. I agree with everyone else here - it makes the hair really, really greasy. It slicks down for about 5 minutes, and then it's just greasy :nono:. I love Fantasia Thick n Shine :blush:. Works for me :yep:.

I use to like Jam but it was greasy as other said. Mine was green, then I had the nerve to put that junk on blonde hair :nono:.

No black gel has worked for me. They either dry me out and make the crunch or they get absorbed quickly into my hair. Ecostyler clear made my hair hard. I am going to try Garnier next.

I don't hear ppl mention it very much, but I really like Isoplus Styling gel... doesn't flake and great holding power!

I cowashed yesterday and used Let's Jam to slick my hair back into a bun. A little later the top and back of my my ears started itching and my scalp did too. My ears were bothering me all week, but I didn't make the connection until yesterday that it's probably the gel. I didn't have a problem prior to using it. I have to find something else today!

Jam melts in this California heat and runs down the sides of your face.. hate it.. i used to hate black gel bec i believe it changed the color of my hair waaayy back when i was younger but it is the only thing that keeps my hair in place and if i tied it up at night i won't have to do my hair for days LoL.. i have a small jar i plan on using when i do a bun other than that i don't use it

I don't like the black gels... I don't care what brand it is.. it's just to harsh for my hair. I love jam....especially since transitioning...wooo chile.. its the best for my hair... keeps the pony looking good all day!

Jam is greasy but what I found out is that people use just too darn much of the stuff....when I use the jam.. my hair is usually about 80%dry. I usually add a drop of cond in my hair then line my edges with jam... just right at the hair line...I take my brush to smooth the hairs back.. once I have it positioned like I want.. i tie it down with a silk scarf... (which is wonderful because your hair is not that greasy but you have the slickness that you want).... that works for me...

IMO, as far as the black gel.. most people experience breakage because they try to comb that stuff after it's dry, knowing that its ripping the hair right outta yo head... that black stuff has to be washed out... it's no joke!

Let's Jam does not have enough hold for me. I just started using the brown gel again. Mixed with a little castor oil on my wet bun out the shower is a staple. Even on a dry bun mixed with castor oil is a staple.

I like Let's Jam and Ampro Black gel. I mix the two together for slicking down my edges, especially now that I am over 8 months deep into my relaxer stretch.

Let's Jam offers amazing shine while the Ampro black gel provides the hold. It's the perfect combination.

I sometimes mix the Let's Jam with some Fanascia IC gel for curl definition on my hairline when I bun or wear my extension braids.

ETA: The problem with breakage when using the black gel is that many folks either use one with too strong a hold for their hair or they use too much of it. I only use a very tiny drop of it on my hair at a time. A tiny jar usually last me a whole year or more. I don't use much of it at all.

Last edited:
AO B5 Design Gel . It has great ingredients, not drying and provides hold and definition w/o being stiff, sticky, flaking or greasy.

Never even heard of these gels till I came to lhcf but I picture dry edges with all kinds of dried up white stuff at seeing the names Lets Jam and brown gel.:lol: Ecostyler gel works brilliantly and also this stuff from Sallys called Stiff Head. There should be some threads on it. Its a roll on product but its better to get some on a brush and brush it on. It hold pretty well without crunchiness at all, just some kind of heavy holding power lol. Im not a pro on edges though because I dont usually do ponytails or buns...

I use brown gel on my edges. IC fantasia I have to tie my hair down for too long if I'm trying to lay down the edges. I did jam back in the day and I didn't like it. I always keep a small container of brown gel in my gym bag. It's not as bad as people make it out to be...it's all about how you use the product.

I've been using brown gel mixed with DAX pressing grease to smooth my edges lately. My edges laugh at Fantasia IC gel too. Also Fantasia IC gel doesn't do well in extremely cold temps. It freezes on me like coconut oil.

Okay, yesterday, I made a conditioning gel and I acutally raelly like it. It's

It's a bunch of stuff I like and some I dont' like:

Clear ICe ampro gel
Crew Gel
Sunsilk Curls Gel
Black and Sassy creamy set
ORS Olive Oil in the bottle
NTM Silk Touch Leave IN
ORS Hair Fertilizer

Combined, it's heavenly!!!!!

Last edited:
Back