Good ideas for a first date?

Glib Gurl

I hate first dates. They always feel like "interviews" -- like you're basically trying to find out statistics (i.e., job, education, family background, religion, etc.) instead of finding out about the person.

What are some good ideas for first dates besides going out for a meal or coffee?

Alternatively, if you do go out for a meal or coffee, what are some good non-interview-like discussion topics?

For first and maybe second dates, I have always preferred dating in a group rather than one-on-one. IMO, first dates are best where there are a lot of other people rather than being in isolated situations.

Some examples I've enjoyed (in no particular order) are:

1. Theatrical productions indoor or outdoor.

2. The zoo.

3. Book and or poetry readings.

3. Museums (several kinds to choose from--art, science, historical, wax, etc.)

4. Observatories.

I've found these can really stimulate interesting discussion. :yep:

Let him take you somewhere he decides. That will tell you a lot about him. Let him entertain you and think about a nice place for your date :)
You don't have to do a single thing but dress & be nice :D

LUNCH!

Why???

Cost effective

Only 1-2 hours which can be a good or bad thing. If he's ugly with stank breath and man titties(sorry Jewell LOL), then you'll be glad it was just 1-2 hours. If he's great, you wont want the time to end and you may be late back to work.

No "I bet I'm gonna get some arse for this subway combo I just paid for" expectations.

From there you can decide if you want to go on a more intimate date

So here are some ideas:

Any lunch restaurant
Coffee shops
Parks

HOpe that helps!

my first bf and i went out yesterday... for the first time in two years. Guess where he took me...
to see the Lion King on stage!!! OMG:eek: it was AMAZING! Everyone has to see it! He remembered from HS how much i loved musicals!

FlowerHair said:
Let him take you somewhere he decides. That will tell you a lot about him. Let him entertain you and think about a nice place for your date :)

I think that's a good idea. I also like the idea of lunch or coffee just for a preview. There's less pressure and as someone said it can be quick!

FlowerHair said:

hmm2.gif

I like this idea!

classimami713 said:
I think that's a good idea. I also like the idea of lunch or coffee just for a preview. There's less pressure and as someone said it can be quick!

I agree with this as well. I always like to do low pressure first dates. Rarely dinner because if you decide you don't like him then you can be locked into an hours long date. I would probably only go to dinner on a first date if it was someone that I had already spent a lot of time talking to previously and already knew that I liked him.

FeelinIt said:
No "I bet I'm gonna get some arse for this subway combo I just paid for" expectations.

:lachen:

Oh, and I agree. In fact, I suggest lunch most times if I'm doing a first date. Two men (both were Indian, just as a random coincidence) totally were against it, and said they'd rather do dinner so they could have plenty of time to get to know me and then maybe we could go out after that to get drinks and then a club...

And I'm thinking, "Whoa whoa whoa, hold the h- up! Who said I even WANT to spend that much time with you????" And imagine if the dinner went poorly, it would be a lot more of an effort to get out of the rest of the evening as opposed to with lunch or coffee, when you simply don't have tons of time (or money spent) and you can be done when needed.

Funny thing was that BOTH of these guys "forgot" the lunch dates that we'd planned a few days earlier, but wanted to make up for it with some combo of dinner/movie/club/bar.

So yeah, just co-signing the lunch idea!

My best first date was dinner at a little Italian place. It also happened to be my birthday, which made it even better. It gave us the opportunity to talk candidly without interruption and for dessert he had the waiter bring out a cake that he bought. :)

Back