Going to Miami and I need HELP! (kinda long)

NewYorkgyrl

I will be leaving for South Beach, Miami in 24 days for spring break. I am very exited, however, I have NO IDEA what to do with my hair. Can someone PLEASE give me a couple of suggestions?

My hair is relaxed bone straight and my next relaxer (every 2 months) will be about a couple of days before i leave. I am currently on the baggie challenge and have been doing this faithfully for five days at a time and wearing my hair striaght for five days.

Right now I am thinking about just wearing my hair straight until I go swimming. Before I go swimming, put a conditioner in it. After swimming, do a Conditioner wash. For the night life or anytime I will not be swimming, wear my baggie with a phony pony (I have 5 different ones).

I am not sure if this is the best thing to do. I would get braids, but my hair ALWAYS breaks whenever I get them. I was thinking about a wash and go style but I am clueless about what products to use to get the curly/wavy style.

Can some one please give me tips on the wash and go style or any other suggestions on what to do with my hair PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, we changed places :) I'm in New York now after living in Miami for four years. I'm sure other Miamians (ModelChick, Ayanapooh, etc.) will chime in, but here is what worked for ME:

I was relaxed and the only thing that saved my hair was a good serum, a moisturizing detangler (i.e. Pantene) and wearing my hair in a nice bun. The humidity/heat is not too awful this time of year, but stay out in the sun for too long and your hair likely WILL feel like straw. When I first got to Miami, I was impressed by how many natural sistas I saw. It didn't take me long to realize that natural hair is probably better suited to that climate than relaxed. I wouldn't count on curls and waves unless your hair does that naturally. One of the first hairdressers I went to laughed when I asked for a curly style. She gave it to me anyway because I insisted. Within an hour, I looked like I had a dead mop on my head. But, again, because of the time of year, you might be all right.

Braids are a good idea, especially if you will be spending time on the beach. I wore braids my first two years there and my hair thrived. I only stopped because the braider I went to went back to Tanzania! If they break your hair, though, maybe not. Could you maybe get something simple like cornrows and then take them out as soon as you get home?

If you conditioner wash, beware of the hard-a$$ water there. It truly is no joke. All things considered, you may want to consider a baggie/phony pony deal for the daytime, too. It will still look cute, IMO.

I hope you have fun! I'm sorry I'm so pessimistic about the hair situation, which is why I hope other Miamians chime in, but I can only tell you what I experienced. Keep us posted regardless!

OE

Honey you asked the right place. I live in South Florida, Ft.Lauderdale which is 20 mins from MIA. All I have to say is braids....braids...braids...No on the weave, because with our sea water it will (stress on the will) tangle your hair.If you plan to go in the water at all...and you don't want to have to worry about you hair, braid it. Cute braids, micro...or something a little bigger and have it curly...Curly hair is in down here.... You can wash everyday....
HAVE FUN IN MIA...I MIGHT SEE YOU FOR SPRING BREAK!!!

Thank you for your replies. it does seem like braids will be the best idea. But I know for sure it will break my hair. It has done so every time. If I do get braids and wear it curly what will happen to the curls when it gets wet?

How long is your hair?

During the day when you're at the beach I would wear it either in a bun or one or two braids. You can use a heavy oil moisturizer (that you maybe usually don't use). I mean, really apply that stuff section by section and comb your hair to distribute it. Then smooth your hair into a bun or braid or just clip it up.

When you shower wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, then follow with a moisturizing one. I know that some people say that the clarifying shampoo is too drying but to get all that oil moisturizer out you'd have to use it. A great moisturizing shampoo that will also detangle is (of course) the Cream of Nature shampoo (with the green writing on it and the yellow cap). Then you follow with a good moisturizing conditioner.

To achieve that curly look, apply some serum to your damp hair. Then spray your hair with John Frieda Ripple Effect. Spray a LOT on it, make sure all your hair is coated with it.
Then blowdry your hair (bend over) with a diffuser.

I hope you'll have a great time in miami:-)

I don't have an exact measurement of my hair length. It is past my shoulders but not at the arm pit length. That means if I get braids it will have to be pretty long. (I wonder how that will look in curls?)

I don't understand how you want to wear the braids AND curls? Or maybe I didn't understand it right.
I think that if your hair is breaking easily from braids then don't get them. That wouldn't be worth it imo.

To avoid breaking wash your hair once a week.(more if you can)... When you leave the beach wash your hair right after.... Try not to use the towel on your braid to dry...let me be a little more specific. When you are drying, use the towel at the end of the braids. If you keep towel drying it will start to look raggedy...Use, the braid spray right after, and use infusion 24 (If you feel you can surge). Do not keep the braids in for more than 2 months...Then you will start to have breakage...And when you get your hair braided, beg the person not to do it tight. For some reason braids always, want to braid tight. You hair will break.....go to www.growafrohairlong.com

When I mentioned the braids being curly I was refering to hottopic's response. My friends has this style now it is cute. But you are right, maybe I should not take a chance with the braids. I just don't want to look a mess at the beach. The bun idea sounds nice.

Nay.........
The curly/wavy style you were describing...would t work well if my hair has just been relaxed or would it be better if i don't relax my hair.

NewYorkgyrl said:
When I mentioned the braids being curly I was refering to hottopic's response. My friends has this style now it is cute. But you are right, maybe I should not take a chance with the braids. I just don't want to look a mess at the beach. The bun idea sounds nice.

Nay.........
The curly/wavy style you were describing...would t work well if my hair has just been relaxed or would it be better if i don't relax my hair.

Depending on the hair that you use nothing will happen to the curls. With kanekalon hair you can do what ever you want with it, plus you hair will get the moisture. DO NOT USE 100% SYNTHETIC HAIR. Your hair will sufficate. Anyways back to the braids and curls...only thing you have to do is plait it or use curling rods and dip it in hot water...wait like 30 mins then take it out and it is back to curly.

Hmmm that is a good question...I probably wouldn't relax it and wait until after the trip since you want to wear it curly anyway.

Oh and try that technique a couple of times before you go on your vacation. I don't want you to curse me while you're in Miami because the product didn't work on your hair.
Cause I know I would get frustrated QUICK!!!

I'm going to Miami for spring break as well and yalls suggestions are really helpful. My hair's 80% natural so I'll probably try the wash and wear technique but I am contemplating cornrows....is the beach sand getting in your hair a problem with braids?

I used to live in South Florida so I know all about the humidity down there.

When I return for visits, I tend to do CO washes 3-4 times a week and twist-outs. My hair is not relaxed bone straight though and I have 3a/3b textured hair. Like Nay says, try the curly style before going to see which technique works best for you.

Enjoy yourself!

Back