Going to have to say goodbye to buns

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I just finished washing my hair and I noticed how thin my crown area is. It's not short but I can feel my scalp.

So I'm in the shower trying to figure out what could cause this and I realize that no matter what I use to secure my ponytail to make my bun I would have breakage so I think that I am going to have to stop for awhile. I am on the HYH challenge so I will just be doing loose pin ups instead of buns.

Oooh, I'm sorry to hear this LadyR. But you have to do what's best for your hair. I hope you have success in getting your crown back in shape!

amr501 said:
I alternate between loose pin ups & buns for that very reason! I'm thinking of trying rollersets too.

I love rollersets but I am on the HYH challenge so I'm not wearing rollersets often only on Sundays, however, if the loose pinups doesn't help then it will be rollersets for me

Loose pin ups are just as good as buns IMHO!!!:) My crown area always caused me problems until I literally stopped combing it. I almost never comb it unless I am flat ironing or relaxing it.

my bunning has helped with my thickness tremendously! do you move the position of the bun keeping it in one spot will cause breakage, but you have to do what's best for your hair, good luck chica!

I have had the same problem (thinning edges) because of bunning. I'm interested in trying these loose pin ups you are talking about . . . how does this work?

(Sorry for my ignorance, but I have no clue!)

guesswho said:
my bunning has helped with my thickness tremendously! do you move the position of the bun keeping it in one spot will cause breakage, but you have to do what's best for your hair, good luck chica!

I don't think that it is because of the same spot but because no matter what I use to secure it there is hair on it be it ponytail holders or schunies.

I don't have any pictures but just think about twisting you hair up and either pin it with a pin or clip it with a barrette or something. I will try to take a picture Monday. Some one has a picture in their signature but I can't think of who.

Woooo...I have never done bunning for extended periods of time. I was thinking about trying it for a few months while I commit to NO Heat.

I've always been a bun skeptic because of the problem discussed in this thread. I'm glad I read all of this I think I'll have to bun sparingly.::cool:

Glib Gurl said:
I have had the same problem (thinning edges) because of bunning. I'm interested in trying these loose pin ups you are talking about . . . how does this work?

(Sorry for my ignorance, but I have no clue!)

I have a pinned-up style in my siggy pic.:)

I have breakage on the sides of my hair (temples) from this very reason. I have also stopped brushing but I am doing loose pin up's and updo's now.

i feel you...i used to worry about my hair breaking from wearing a ponytail every day, and in the same spot...i'm giving my hair a rest with sew-ins...

I was also having that problem, no matter what I used to secure my ponytail I got breakage. I don't secure my ponytail at all. I just stick it through my sock bun, unsecured then I pin it and that stopped the breakage in that area.

My crown is a problem area for me as well; I have found that a pinned-up or bun-like style using only Good Hair Days pins helps me. I don't use scrunchies or anything like that and it's loose, but secure, providing my HIH disease doesn't get the best of me :p...

Good luck with getting it back in shape *hugs*

I'm worried about my hair eventually breaking in certain areas because I sport a bun almost every day. Not only that, but when my new growth becomes a problem and it's time for a touch up, I start using gel on a regular basis and try to pull my hair tighter to keep it flat.

I've been lazy but I gotta experiment with some new updos this summer.

Back