Going out solo....

Just went out solo last night and wound up with a dinner companion, my meal paid for, and a potential date next week. If I had been with a friend that wouldn't have happened.

Share more, please! Did he approach you? Were you seated at the bar? Do tell!

Share more, please! Did he approach you? Were you seated at the bar? Do tell!

I had been out most of the day at a baseball game (go Yankees!) and didn't feel like cooking when I got home. I texted a few of my friends to see what was going on that night but no one seemed very motivated to do anything. I got restless sitting at home so I walked over to my favorite neighborhood bar. It was packed because of the playoffs so there was no place to sit. I hovered near the front bar in the hopes that someone would relinquish their seat, but it was to no avail. I saw a tall, attractive, man out of the corner of my eye so I gave him a look and he was just as attractive viewed straight on. I looked away and watched the game for a bit. I saw him walk by me to the back section where there is another bar and more TVs. During the intermission between periods 2 and 3 I decided to put my name down for a table just in case one opened up before a seat at one of the bars did.
When the game is on commercial or in intermission the bar plays music. It's impossible to watch the commentary without the sound so I moved to the back section where the TVs were playing different games. He was by the TVs watching basketball and moved out of my way cause he thought I was trying to walk by. I told him I wanted to watch the game so he beckoned me to stand next to him and watch. We got to talking and it just went on from there. I invited him to sit at my table with me when it was ready. We ordered food, he asked if he could see me again, and I gave him my number. When the bill came he took care of it. We hung out a little bit more and then he walked me back home.
So now the ball is in his court. I'll let you know when he calls.

I was out with a girlfriend last week at a local lounge and the men just looked but didn't approach us. But as soon as my girlfriend went to the ladies room and I was sitting alone a gentleman who had been there all along came over to talk to me.

Made me think how if I were alone all night what would have happened.

So now that I am back on the market, I am considering hitting up a few lounge spots and parties solo :look: I am a lite scared of the idea but when I go with my girls I end up talking to them all night and also doing a mental comparison of how many guys check for me vs. them and it just always brings me down.

So I am wondering if any of you ladies do/have done this and if you have any helpful tips :)
I just hit the club solo for the first time last week and was totally in the mental space for it finally.

Best weekend partying in a loooooooooong time! OMG!!! Didnt sit down all night. Men kept pulling me on to the dance floor--and that NEVER happens when I'm with my girls. Best club night in my LIFE. Why did I wait so long?! This will be a monthly event for me now :)

Even though that was a first, I generally do everything else alone. Movies since I was a teen (cant fine a female friend who enjoys horror and sci fi :rolleyes::lol:), window shopping, beach, etc. I'm cool but for some reason clubs were intimidating. Not anymore :)

I just hit the club solo for the first time last week and was totally in the mental space for it finally. Best weekend partying in a loooooooooong time! OMG!!! Didnt sit down all night. Men kept pulling me on to the dance floor--and that NEVER happens when I'm with my girls. Best club night in my LIFE. Why did I wait so long?! This will be a monthly event for me now :) Even though that was a first, I generally do everything else alone. Movies since I was a teen (cant fine a female friend who enjoys horror and sci fi :rolleyes::lol:), window shopping, beach, etc. I'm cool but for some reason clubs were intimidating. Not anymore :)

Yay! :-D
10 char

Okay so Happy Hour is illegal in my state, so now what?
When is the best time to go to the the local lounge?

No answers so I will leave in an hour.:look:

Last edited:
Yep, I'm out solo right now in Martha's Vineyard...at a bar. Met a cute guy who sat next to me. #s exchanged. Also bumped into an old friend from Morehouse along the walk. #s exchanged. It was worth coming out alone.

Just spent the last few hours stressing about where to go.
I have decided to go back to the last bar I went and listen to a live classic rock band.
I may dance......

I was going to go to a wine bar and have a little dessert and sip wine or go to a lounge and have a martini and cheesecake.
Still may go get that dessert then off to listen to live music.

I'm back!!

I did go to the wine bar and have a nice fried slice of pound cake with strawberries and whip cream and a glass of Bricco Riella Moscato D'Asti. :lick:

Then I mosey on over to watch a nice band. They are actually a family business. It was nice to watch. However, there was a slight glitch. When I entered the room, I immediately got stares. Me Black, them White; except the Black male drummer. This didn't bother me but with alcohol in the mix, curiosity could turn tragic.

I find a seat and there is a guy sitting 4 feet away from me and I can tell he's attracted when he sees me. It's tight at the bar and he moves the seat that is between us. His friend finally joins us at the bar and he is DRUNK!! He tries to talk to me and starts asking if I wanted some Hennessy and saying, "Yes I'm stereotyping your. I'm stereotyping you." I ask him what he is talking about. He takes off and his friend says he is crazy. He's attractive and starts asking me where I am from. I can tell he is really really drunk so I try to keep my responses brief. He then asks me if I am an undercover cop. I say yes and give him a shushing gester.

The band gets on stage and it's going fine until the really drunk guy returns and starts trying to touch my arm. I told him to NEVER put his hands on me.

He shuts up for a minute then he and his friend are back at it trying to get my attention. I wave him off. His friend all of a sudden starts yelling, "YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS, YOU'RE NOT INTO WHITE GUYS! YOUR NOT INTO WHITE GUYS." (Which defies logic, when I am clearly attending a White bar) The yeller tries to touch my arm and I tell him if he does, we are going to have a big problem. I decided to just remove myself from that area.

As soon as I sit down I met the most charming brother and sister duo who are senior citizens. They asked me to dance and the three of us whooped it up on the floor. They were the aunt and uncle to the band members and were just so sweet and nice to me. The brother even bought me a drink. They kind of reminded me of Hobbits. They were so short and cute. The sister danced with her shoes off and I don't know if it was the alcohol but I could swear she had hairy feet. :perplexed We took pictures together and the sister wanted to exchange information so we did that.

Later I noticed those guys were gone. Perhaps they were thrown out. The bouncer was standing in that area now.

I've decided that although it was fun bars are not the best way to meet guys. I meet interesting people who could be friends so far. That's more than enough. :yep:

What a cute story. Pity about those annoying guys, although you handled it well!

As soon as I sit down I met the most charming brother and sister duo who are senior citizens. They asked me to dance and the three of us whooped it up on the floor. They were the aunt and uncle to the band members and were just so sweet and nice to me. The brother even bought me a drink. They kind of reminded me of Hobbits. They were so short and cute. The sister danced with her shoes off and I don't know if it was the alcohol but I could swear she had hairy feet. :perplexed We took pictures together and the sister wanted to exchange information so we did that.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Out watching the 'beautiful game.' The crowd is sparse but the guy watching the game gave me some suggestions for alternate pubs.

Anywho the World Cup is coming up so I have many many chances to meet folks =)

My sighting of this thread could not be more on time! I was debating on going to a party tonight. I know that I will have people to talk to when I get there because I know the crowd who will be there, but I had the hardest of times coming to terms of going alone. I'm going to take a quick nap, get ready, grab my bottle of disarono, and be on my way.

If anything, I got my liquor. So... yea. :lol:

I had been out most of the day at a baseball game (go Yankees!) and didn't feel like cooking when I got home. I texted a few of my friends to see what was going on that night but no one seemed very motivated to do anything. I got restless sitting at home so I walked over to my favorite neighborhood bar. It was packed because of the playoffs so there was no place to sit. I hovered near the front bar in the hopes that someone would relinquish their seat, but it was to no avail. I saw a tall, attractive, man out of the corner of my eye so I gave him a look and he was just as attractive viewed straight on. I looked away and watched the game for a bit. I saw him walk by me to the back section where there is another bar and more TVs. During the intermission between periods 2 and 3 I decided to put my name down for a table just in case one opened up before a seat at one of the bars did.
When the game is on commercial or in intermission the bar plays music. It's impossible to watch the commentary without the sound so I moved to the back section where the TVs were playing different games. He was by the TVs watching basketball and moved out of my way cause he thought I was trying to walk by. I told him I wanted to watch the game so he beckoned me to stand next to him and watch. We got to talking and it just went on from there. I invited him to sit at my table with me when it was ready. We ordered food, he asked if he could see me again, and I gave him my number. When the bill came he took care of it. We hung out a little bit more and then he walked me back home.
So now the ball is in his court. I'll let you know when he calls.

cheetarah1980 Oooooo....Get it gurrrrl!!!!! :grin: :yay: :yay: :woot:

I want updates on this!! :grin:

I'm a huge advocate of going out alone, I definitely get more attention from men when I do. Even if it doesn't turn into exchanging numbers or anything, it's good practice to be more comfortable around them. I've also been on 3 vacations by myself and had a blast.

I really think it's important to be able to enjoy your own company. You can end up missing out on so much if you're always waiting around for someone to go places with you.

@ bolded...this is so true!

i've been thinking about taking a vacation to thailand on my midtour, but do not have anyone to go with me. i really would like to go while i am already stuck in asia for this next year. but i am positive if i sit around and wait for someone to want to go to thailand with me, i won't end up going!

thanks for this post. :yep:

What a cute story. Pity about those annoying guys, although you handled it well!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Thank you, I think drunk guys got kicked out because the bouncer was looking my way several times and standing near the area they were sitting. Good. :yep:

I really enjoyed the little people's company. They could really dance too. They were so attentive, hugging, taking pictures with me and thanking me for the dances.:grin:

I have decided that going out solo is the best thing.
I went to a spring festival and met up with a female coworker.
She dressed in jeans and a wife beater.
I wore a halter mini dress and wedges.
I received a lot of looks from men and their girlfriends/wives. :perplexed
When I met up with my co-worker she loudly pronounced, "You look good Curly, you must be tryin' to catch a man!!" She's a hillbilly with a husband down south in the army. :look:
She wants to hang out again at the home garden show.
I really don't know now, because I want to wear a full length floral halter dress. :ohwell:

These are cute stories. Maybe you and one girlfriend could do an pseudo alone outing. Go together then split up and work different parts of the room or different levels of the lounge. Then meet up when it's time to wrap up.

This has been very motivational. I am very hesitant to go out alone but my friends hardly ever want to do anything. I've joined a couple of meet up groups, which has been great. I still have lots of things Ive wanted to do but haven't. I met a lady recently that goes out alone all the time. She has been living it up! I was so inspired.

Back