Going back to relaxing

Connie

Hi Everyone! Hope your Thanksgiving was a DELICIOUS one and that your Christmas will be even more joyful!

Well, after months of getting to know my natural texture again (not that I've ever forgotten) as more of my new growth comes in, I've come full circle and realized what I've always known: If I ever decide to go natural, I will wear my hair short and cut off the permed hair. If I want to wear it long, keeping it straight will be better in terms of manageability. I've always said I would NEVER attempt to grow out a perm with the length that I have because I didn't think I would have the patience.

I was right to some degree. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Handling the two textures has been a learning experience, but not as difficult I'd thought it would be. I believe I have 4a/4b hair that is soft and fragile. It doesn't "shine" but has a nice "sheen". It feels like cotton /images/graemlins/smile.gif With a good conditioner and detangling shampoo, it's not difficult to comb through at all. Blowdrying and/or using a curling iron (or preferably setting lotion) will straighten it out easily. However...

My workout regimen (5 days) requires that I wash my hair more frequently. I don't really don't want to go super short right now, and longer hair works better for me when it's straight--not to mention less time consuming to handle when it's straight. To keep my hair straight without a relaxer would require constant blowdrying/flatironing (or pressing) and exposure to way more heat than I'm comfortable with.

So I'll be hooking up with my stylist again, whom I'm sure will chop off quite a bit of my hair to do away with the split ends and even it out--my hair is even more uneven now /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Hopefully when she's done it will at least reach my ears..lol! And that's if she doesn't decide to REALLY even it out so that it's the same length as the sliver of of hair that I cut..yes, I cut...just to see how long my new growth is when I flatiron it. I can get it around a medium-sized roller--just once around though..lol! Hopefully my stylist won't be too perturbed with me that she'll just chop all my hair off and make me start over.

At least now when I'm overdue for a touchup, I'll take it in stride because I've learned how to better care for my new growth.

Connie, working out regularly and dealing with hair is such a pain. It's so difficult to find the right balance.

Have you considered getting a texturizer?

Congrats on making a decision that's best for you!

I know having my hair relaxed prevented me from working out b/c I didn't want to do my hair all the time or have sweaty smelling hair. Having natural hair, I can do whatever I want b/c I co wash daily.

I've considered a texturizer, but I already have a mild relaxer (Affirm), which gets my hair poker straight. And wouldn't I have to chop off or grow out the relaxed hair before going the texturizer route?

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Congrats on making a decision that's best for you!

I know having my hair relaxed prevented me from working out b/c I didn't want to do my hair all the time or have sweaty smelling hair. Having natural hair, I can do whatever I want b/c I co wash daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? With relaxed hair, I used to sometime wash it after a workout, gentle detangle and let it air dry or cool-dry it (blowdry on a cool setting). The way you do your hair would work for me if I didn't plan on straightening my hair anytime soon. But since my "straight" days will outnumber my "natural" ones...relaxing it is.

Connie - Yeah, I agree. If you're going to be straightening most of the time, then it will probably work better for you to have a relaxer. Good luck!

How long did you transition? I don't envy any of the longtime transitioners I know it's hard to manage two different textures on one head! I'm glad that you made the best decision for you.

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
How long did you transition? I don't envy any of the longtime transitioners I know it's hard to manage two different textures on one head! I'm glad that you made the best decision for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

My last relaxer touchup was in June or July--I really don't remember; but I've got quite a bit of new growth. You can actually see where the new growth stops and the permed hair begins when I pull it back..lol!

I had the opposite problem- trying to maintain my relaxed hair with my workouts was really hard. Wearing it natural and "wash & wear" is much more convenient for me. But then I don't wear mine straight. Are you sure maintaining straight hair is the best move for your active lifestyle?

Congrats on your decision. I was in exactly your same position when I decided to relax again. I transitioned for six months. I would be natural in a heartbeat but for the fact that it took soo long to do my hair the more natural it became (I don't have two hours+ to twist my hair...) Maybe when I am not so on the go, I will try going natural again.

When I decided to relax again, I was determined to do it right. No more bone straight perms (I relax up to 75% straight) and I am using a mild perm (I self-relax, btw) and my hair is loving me for it.

As far as working out, I just do a conditioner wash and bun and that is wash and go for me./images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
I had the opposite problem- trying to maintain my relaxed hair with my workouts was really hard. Wearing it natural and "wash & wear" is much more convenient for me. But then I don't wear mine straight. Are you sure maintaining straight hair is the best move for your active lifestyle?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything, my attempt to transition made me realize that caring and maintaining my straight hair is less time-consuming than maintaining my natural hair, even though detangling and combing isn't all that difficult. Perhaps I've become so accustomed to just washing/combing and going, but for me it was a choice between washing and having dry, untangled hair in 15 minutes versus washing and having dry, untangled hair in a half-hour to 45 minutes. And THEN..having to "gently" comb through the tangles (which can be stubborn) every time you comb your hair afterwards--to the point where you even both combing the natural roots. At least that's how my hair is..lol! Transitioning made me remember why I relaxed in the first place--LESS TIME TO DO MY HAIR..LOL! If I could keep the napps and lose the tangling, I'd very rarely straighten my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
Congrats on your decision. I was in exactly your same position when I decided to relax again. I transitioned for six months. I would be natural in a heartbeat but for the fact that it took soo long to do my hair the more natural it became (I don't have two hours+ to twist my hair...) Maybe when I am not so on the go, I will try going natural again.

When I decided to relax again, I was determined to do it right. No more bone straight perms (I relax up to 75% straight) and I am using a mild perm (I self-relax, btw) and my hair is loving me for it.

As far as working out, I just do a conditioner wash and bun and that is wash and go for me.:)

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I envy you self-relaxers! It was my first and only attempt at self-relaxing that landed me at the salon 20 years ago..LOL! If I thought I wouldn't totally jack my hair up, I'd try it again just to save the money.

Back