Go where you are wanted/Extinction Response

Dellas

Go Where You’re Wanted

The topic for this post came to me yesterday, as I realized I was working really hard to connect with some people I’d recently met. It seemed like I was the one making most of the effort, which, initially, wasn’t really a problem. But when it started to feel imbalanced and confusing, I realized that I needed to take a step back and re-evaluate what was going on.
The idea of “go where you’re wanted” is an important one in business- and in life- because we can spend tremendous amounts of energy trying to connect with people, make relationships with them, and fit in with them- when they (for whatever reason) have no interest in being connected to us.

You see this to some degree in social media, perhaps when you want to “friend” someone, and they take a long time before accepting your request- if they even do. Unfortunately, social media makes it pretty easy to ignore or reject people, and so you can be left wondering if they haven’t yet gotten the request, or if they’ve decided to ignore it. The uncertainty of this can be uncomfortable, especially because nobody wants to be a pest, but we have all been told that we shouldn’t be afraid to follow up either.
This uncertainty and discomfort also shows up in your real life business relationships, and business friendships, too. There comes a time where, for whatever reason, people may not be as responsive to you as before- you reach out in email, and get no response. Maybe you take one more step and make a phone call, but never get a call back. You don’t know why things are different- you just know that they are. This can kick off a cycle of worry and stress. You might try harder to connect, only to be continually rebuffed.

In psychology, there is this concept of the extinction response- and that applies here. When you have been reinforced for a behavior (let’s say you call someone and they always take your call), when they stop taking your call, you actually will want to call them more- to try harder to recapture what you previously had. (This, of course, plays out in personal relationships too.) Anyway, with the extinction response, there tends to be an increase in the behavior in a rapid spike- and then the behavior dies off. In the clearest sense, behavior which is no longer reinforced will eventually stop.

That’s the good news.
The bad news is that it is often painful to realize that a relationship has changed, especially if this happened without warning or conversation. You’re left, in a sense, to “figure it out on your own”- and that deduction can be a long time coming.
In my case, I have learned to step back and re-evaluate whenever I get this particular feeling that I’m trying to hard to make something happen. Since my tendency is to work hard for what I want, I know that this sometimes means I work too hard in relationships too.

When I take that space, it allows me to get a little bit more clarity and to stop feeling confused. That’s the first step to making a better choice going forward. This idea of going where you’re wanted doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try to connect with people or make an extra effort. It just means that you realize when your extra efforts don’t seem to be doing any good, and you stop doing more when you need to be doing less.

Personally, my approach is to give people two tries. I will make two concerted efforts in a short period of time, and if I get no response, or an unsatisfactory response, I let it go.

Remember, the time you spend trying to connect with people who don’t want to be around you can be much better- and more satisfactorily- spent by connecting with those who do.:rolleyes:

http://profitablepopularity.com/blog/go-where-you-are-wanted/

---> I needed this. I had a bad extinction response to someone pulling away from me with no real reason and I behaved badly (don't ask). Thought it was just me and I had lost my mind. I really wanted it to work out. Even went into a small depression. I was so glad to read this. I've only took one or two psychology classes and never heard of this.

Well this was good reading for me today.

Last edited:
I am actually on the opposite end of the spectrum where I have stopped responding and have changed the dynamic of my relationship with the individual without notice. Ive gone back and forth about whether I should tell them why or just let it die.

OP, how could the other party have handled this differently, so that you werent affected negatively? Sometimes its possible to provide an explanation, but then again sometimes it doesnt matter, because the outcome is the same.

I've didn't know it had a term related to it but I had to learn this. And even now I have to remind myself when I find myself trying to hard. I have a situation like this with a coworker. It initially it looked like it would be a casual friendship but after a few conversations and things being said and done here and there I had to step back and realize that I was doing that thing I do :lol:

I have gotten much better at investing in those that reciprocate and just remaining friendly to everyone else.

I like the article.

If someone wanted to be in your life, they would. Especially with all of the means to communicate. So, if you try a couple of times and they do not respond, they just don't want to. Even the worst texters, text who they want to text and call who they want to call. I let people go, that want to be let go of. I hold on to what wants to be held on to.

i guess this doesnt apply to me. i dont make an effort to reach out to other people :lol: people really have to come to me and sometimes i accept them.

its like with my blog. i have noticed that poorly quality blogs get more feedback, but i know its because they spend more time actively engaging others and its reciprocal. on mine i engage with almost no one and wait for people to come to me exclusively. its completely one sided, and even though people enjoy it (i do fairly steady traffic) they are less likely to engage because they get nothing in return.

I am actually on the opposite end of the spectrum where I have stopped responding and have changed the dynamic of my relationship with the individual without notice. Ive gone back and forth about whether I should tell them why or just let it die.

OP, how could the other party have handled this differently, so that you werent affected negatively? Sometimes its possible to provide an explanation, but then again sometimes it doesnt matter, because the outcome is the same.

Right now I honestly don't want to give it much thought. I am tired of over thinking. I guess like he said in the article. Recognize the signs early on and keep it moving.

Once I realized that I was "enough" and accepted myself fully for who I was, I simply ran out of "effs" to give. :smirk: :hand: :peace: The desire to connect w/others is human, but I refuse to live condemned if someone is unreceptive to me and what I am offering. It took me years to get here, but now that I am here, there's no turning back. :driver: :)

It can happen to you again and again even IF you have learned the lesson. And, especially if the situation doesn't warrant the other party to necessarily flee...but they do anyway, you can still be left wondering and second-guessing yourself when there's no communication or explanation. This is a great article as a reminder. Sometimes, people walk out of your life as a blessing to you....even when you have no knowledge yet of why it is a blessing. As TD Jakes would say, "when people can walk away from you....LET. THEM. WALK." And, trust God.

Since the social media thing was brought up in the article...I am on linkedin. Sometimes someone from my past will connect with me and I will accept their request than send them a message asking how they are, how they are liking the city they are in, their place of employment etc. Just a little brief messafe and they just flat out ignore me. I find this to be so unbelievably rude especially since they are the ones who reached out to me. Is it an innappropriate response to delete them from my contacts or is that being too over dramatic?

I have this thing about people ignoring polite inquiries and requests. It is very direspectful to me.

Since the social media thing was brought up in the article...I am on linkedin. Sometimes someone from my past will connect with me and I will accept their request than send them a message asking how they are, how they are liking the city they are in, their place of employment etc. Just a little brief messafe and they just flat out ignore me. I find this to be so unbelievably rude especially since they are the ones who reached out to me. Is it an innappropriate response to delete them from my contacts or is that being too over dramatic?

I have this thing about people ignoring polite inquiries and requests. It is very direspectful to me.

I agree w/you in that I find this very disrespectful. I would give it a little time though, as people can sometimes get busy. Now if after some time they don't respond, delete their arses. :lol: It's all about reciprocity. You're not going to benefit from MY contacts boo-boo. :lol:

I learned the "go where you are wanted" a few years back when dealing with some family members. I read that somewhere and the light bulb came on. I applied it and soon, the very same people who ignored me where chasing me and talking about how much they missed me. I make a habit of never looking back though, so I was done by that point.

If I plan on making a connection with someone, I study them intently. If I EVER get the feeling that they aren't interested in the connection, I don't put anymore effort into it. That energy is better spent with people who want to connect.

Back