Glamtwinz334 They tempt me to "Heat Train"

Most of you ladies are recommended straightening once a month. I have to wash or cowash once a week so I would be bunning or doing a twistout for the other 3 weeks in the month. I have to consider my options. Ive never been this cautious with my hair, before the boards I would cut it all off and color it whatever without a second thought.

I am very interested in either texlaxing or becoming heat-trained as well, but their hair looks nice to me either way (?) I can see the heat damage, but it's not awful and if they prefer their hair straight (but then, why not just remain relaxed?) then I guess it doesn't matter what it looks like curly...

Anyway, the point of that was for some people, heat training can help, I know after wearing my hair in WnG for a few months, my hair has suffered and the main reason for me going natural was so I could do the wild and curly thing...but I can't, so...texlaxing seems like a good option, but I'm going to try and make it another year (and APL) before I take that plunge

I think both girl's hair is beautiful...curly and straight...yes there are a few straight pieces in the front...but I have straight pieces in the front of my head as well...and I love my hair. I don't think there is a person alive with a "perfect head of hair," and I know people ( in real life and on this forum) that would die for hair like theirs.

** Also they're barely 5'2 so their WL is most likely achieved sooner assuming you're of average height or taller...

The ONLY time I've ever wished I was short was when I think about the perception of hair length and how your height affects it. If I was 5'2", my hair would probably be touching the back of my knees! :lol:

I may be in the minority saying this, but their straight hair looks way better than the curly vid. The heat damage is very noticeable and looks bad to me!!
I'm right there with you. I was so disappointed in their curly hair with all those straight (stringy-looking to me) bits.

My hair is type 3 and I had a severe case of SSKs last year; adding shea butter to my ends several times a week has stopped the tangling and knots almost completely.

Miss*Tress How did you apply this to your ends? wet while curly? on stretched styles? Thanks:yep:

I'm right there with you. I was so disappointed in their curly hair with all those straight (stringy-looking to me) bits.

My hair is type 3 and I had a severe case of SSKs last year; adding shea butter to my ends several times a week has stopped the tangling and knots almost completely.

I have a mix of 3c/4a and I have to tell ya since I've added Grapeseed oil and blow drying straight to my life I hardly get knots. No more lose wild curls, I have to bantu knot and twistouts for curly looks.......

And for straight styles grapeseed oil is the BEST! No reversion or dryness.:up:
Olive oil caused more problems than good.:ohwell: I'm recovering.

SUPER SWEET

Do you by chance have photos of this? What else do you add to your hair to twist it?

Nope, no pics that highlight hair at all. For twists i use Knot today mixed with castor oil, grapeseed oil and tiny drop of brown gel:blush:.

That actually sounds like a good combo to twist with. My Ecostyler Blue hold #5 gel would probably work well with it.

Thanks for the response sipp Ive had a lil heat damage before and yup there were straight pieces I had it cut off. I'm not expecting a uniform curl pattern at all. But I cant enjoy my wash and go's anyway because of all the SSK's and tangles I experience when wearing my hair loose. I would just be bunning wearing twist outs or braidouts anyway. I still hesitate because I do love my curls last time I straightened I had my mind made up until I washed and saw my curls again.

I have had what I would call mildly heat trained hair. I just wanted to say, neither of these disappeared for me when I was frequently blow drying/flat ironing. As stated earlier wash n gos cause breakage for lots of naturals with all different types of textures.

I ended up going back to natural styling and had a harder time enjoying my own hair because I knew there was damage. I lost even more hair because I'd weakened my strands with heat and I hadn't yet made the "wash n go = breakage" connection yet.

I do agree that most people cant see heat damage if its not alot of it or its all uniform. Most people outside of the hair world just see long hair with alot of texture. Other people thought my hair was really nice. But guess who ultimately hated it? Me. I didn't have loads of breakage from SSKs, but even some was enough for me. And, I couldn't stand knowing they were there even though no one around me could tell. Just the same I couldn't stand having heat damage even though I knew the people around me didn't see it, I knew was there.

To rid myself of SSKs, first I had to trim off the hair I had fried with my flat iron and knotted up with my wash n gos. Then after researching I learned that wash n gos are not everyones friend. Keeping my ends smooth became a priority. When I shingle or twist my hair I finger curl the ends of each section so the ends stay aligned and going in the same direction. If I do a braid out I put a rod at the end. I havent seen a SSK since!

Also, keep in mind that everyone's hair doesnt respond the same to heat training either. :sad: On the flipside, some of us have retained healthy long hair because they use heat.

Boujoichic Diva_Esq empressri is it possible that the straight pieces that are visible when they wear their hair curly is just their natural curl pattern? (forgive me, I'm ignorant about 'heat training' vs. 'heat damage') but, i have similar long straight strands when i wear my hair curly. and i don't think its from heat damage since i rarely straighten my hair (maybe 5 times in a year.) PopLife either way, all the ladies i mentioned in this thread have drool worthy hair and i wish all of you would do youtube videos too!! (HINT, HINT!!)

Boujoichic - i'm with you on the SSKs. i feel trapped right now, i can't do wash-n-go's because i end up with major tangles, knots, SSKs sometimes all out "fur balls" and i feel major guilt and fear if i straighten. i really don't know what to do!

^^^^I flatironed my hair twice in 2 and a half years of transitioning and i still got heat damage in areas that resulted in straight parts

it doesnt take tons of multiple heat sessions to get heat damage....

I have had what I would call mildly heat trained hair. I just wanted to say, neither of these disappeared for me when I was frequently blow drying/flat ironing. As stated earlier wash n gos cause breakage for lots of naturals with all different types of textures.

I ended up going back to natural styling and had a harder time enjoying my own hair because I knew there was damage. I lost even more hair because I'd weakened my strands with heat and I hadn't yet made the "wash n go = breakage" connection yet.

I do agree that most people cant see heat damage if its not alot of it or its all uniform. Most people outside of the hair world just see long hair with alot of texture. Other people thought my hair was really nice. But guess who ultimately hated it? Me. I didn't have loads of breakage from SSKs, but even some was enough for me. And, I couldn't stand knowing they were there even though no one around me could tell. Just the same I couldn't stand having heat damage even though I knew the people around me didn't see it, I knew was there.

To rid myself of SSKs, first I had to trim off the hair I had fried with my flat iron and knotted up with my wash n gos. Then after researching I learned that wash n gos are not everyones friend. Keeping my ends smooth became a priority. When I shingle or twist my hair I finger curl the ends of each section so the ends stay aligned and going in the same direction. If I do a braid out I put a rod at the end. I havent seen a SSK since!

Also, keep in mind that everyone's hair doesnt respond the same to heat training either. :sad: On the flipside, some of us have retained healthy long hair because they use heat.
That is me to the tee!

They grew out their relaxers from 2010 so they might still have some relaxed hair / ends...

Boujoichic Diva_Esq empressri is it possible that the straight pieces that are visible when they wear their hair curly is just their natural curl pattern? (forgive me, I'm ignorant about 'heat training' vs. 'heat damage') but, i have similar long straight strands when i wear my hair curly. and i don't think its from heat damage since i rarely straighten my hair (maybe 5 times in a year.) PopLife either way, all the ladies i mentioned in this thread have drool worthy hair and i wish all of you would do youtube videos too!! (HINT, HINT!!)

Boujoichic - i'm with you on the SSKs. i feel trapped right now, i can't do wash-n-go's because i end up with major tangles, knots, SSKs sometimes all out "fur balls" and i feel major guilt and fear if i straighten. i really don't know what to do!

Kurlee told me about Arosci Intensive Restructuring Foam (they have a serum also) that allows you to wear your hair both curly and straight without damage. I just received a trial size of the foam today. It's great if you are transitioning and like to wear your hair straight. The Serum gives curl elongation for a "texturized" look without chemicals.

Watch the video here for the foam:

http://www.arosciproducts.com/

Kurlee told me about Arosci Intensive Restructuring Foam (they have a serum also) that allows you to wear your hair both curly and straight without damage. I just received a trial size of the foam today. It's great if you are transitioning and like to wear your hair straight. The Serum gives curl elongation for a "texturized" look without chemicals.

Watch the video here for the foam:

http://www.arosciproducts.com/

did u try it yet? does it stink?

did u try it yet? does it stink?

I haven't tried it just yet but it doesn't smell in the bottle or anything. My stylist told me she would do it for me so when I get my hair color touched up I'm going to have it done. I can't wait! :)

I haven't tried it just yet but it doesn't smell in the bottle or anything. My stylist told me she would do it for me so when I get my hair color touched up I'm going to have it done. I can't wait! :)

me neither:grin:. Hurry back with the deets

It doesn't look like it. Naturally straight pieces and heat damaged pieces look totally different.

empressri i need some schooling on what heat damaged pieces look like vs. naturally straight pieces. are there pics anywhere? something to compare? now i'm wondering if my strands are heat damaged or straight....

empressri i need some schooling on what heat damaged pieces look like vs. naturally straight pieces. are there pics anywhere? something to compare? now i'm wondering if my strands are heat damaged or straight....

OMG GIRL lol they look like straight pieces of hair!! straight on the ends, and sometimes curly at the roots. or the curl might be more relaxed throughout.

here's my hair when it was heat damaged, heat trained...

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/napptural-shots!/curly.html

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/napptural-shots!/vibe.html

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/napptural-shots!/length.html

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/its-2008!!!/january-2008-/cimg0332.html

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/its-2008!!!/january-2008-/cimg0554.html

This was when I had been growing it out for some time

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/hair-concoctions-an/banana-and-yogurt-d/cimg6081.html

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/2007/its-finally-spring!!/cimg5308.html

my hair now

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/2011/november/cimg9107.html

http://public.fotki.com/EmpressRi/2012/january-/cimg9554.html

Looks totally different, doesn't it?? Heat damaged/trained hair DID straighten more easily for me, though it wasn't as thick as it would be if I straightened it now.

To tell the truth, you say your hair is a 3b/3c...and it very well might be, BUT your curls also loosen if they are damaged from heat, making you think you have one texture when you really have another.

Cause that was my case, my hair dressed said my hair wasn't so much curly as it was wavy....SOOOOOOOOOO not the case. But that was back in my flatiron days. If I pluck a hair now, it definitely coils, not waves.

Back