Girl, let me tell you what happened to me at the African Braiding Salon

So I got to Sister Aminata's Hair Braiding Salon in Harlem and these 2 women begin braiding my hair.

So the day before I took my braids out, washed, detangled and air -dried (huge mistake BTW). I am 3 months post so I think the new growth got matted a little, but the hair was detangled. I didn't want to comb through the new growth too much because I didn't want breakage.

So the 2 women begin doing my hair and I hear one of the women mention my hair in a foreign language and rub her hands through my scalp. Immediately I'm like "Oh God, they're probably saying my hair is nappy as hell"

So she tells me move to another chair and I move. Of course I'm looking at her like :look: thinking "Why am I over here?" So she pulls out a blow dryer and says something about my roots (I don't remember) and starts to blow dry my hair. Fine, but I wish she would have told me that before she sent me to the chair

She starts to GO AT my head. I didn't like how she was coming it at all. I offered to do it, but she keeps combing. I'm thinking she doesn't hear me, so I speak louder and now I'm turning my hair from her, and she's dancing around me! I speak louder and say "I will do it" and she says "No, because if you could do it, you would have done it at home"

At this point the whole salon stopped what they were doing and was looking at us

GIRL!!!!

I was mad as hell. I'm thinking how to handle to situation because I had to be out of there in 2 hours to go meet someone and then catch a bus, so I didn't want to get up and go to another salon, YKWIM? I had my luggage and everything with me. On the other hand, I didn't want to cause a scene and she tells her co worker to fcuk up my head.

The blowdryer wasn't hot, and she didn't come for very long, but I just didn't like it

I went back to the seat and I was just sitting there. I had put my laptop on the station by the mirror and the other woman goes (not the blow dryer nazi) "Don't you want your computer?"

She was very sweet but that other lady was NASTY! The braids look great although I forgot to tell them to cut the ends (very sloppy), they're not tight at all, and they were finished in 3 hours. I had to be very specific about what I wanted though

Even though I loved the speed I did not like how they treated me! I was thinking about going back, just not to that specific braider.

I told my friend that I should have stood up out of my chair and she said "No, don't do that. She may have though you were threatening her because you're tall as hell"

Why do hair dressers think they can do w/e they want to your hair?

I was mad as hell. I'm thinking how to handle to situation because I had to be out of there in 2 hours to go meet someone and then catch a bus, so I didn't want to get up and go to another salon, YKWIM? I had my luggage and everything with me. On the other hand, I didn't want to cause a scene and she tells her co worker to fcuk up my head.
You mean, she told her co-worker just that right in front of you?

I'm wondering why you bothered to stay and take a chance. I would have gathered up my items and left.

1. " I think the new growth got matted a little, but the hair was detangled." ??? How was it a little matted, but detangled? Anyway, if it was matted at all, they had to detangle it. Why didn't you make sure it was all detangled at home?

2. She really said that she was gonna fcuk your hair up?! lol daaang!

3. You went to an African hair braiding place and you were in and out in THREE hours?! :thud: girrrrrl where you live at?? That is the bomb! I mean...does it look nice? What kind of braids did you get?

^ i had to read that part twice. I think she was saying that was the least desired outcome so she decided to play it cool.

ETA: I see the OP already replied

She starts to GO AT my head. I didn't like how she was coming it at all. I offered to do it, but she keeps combing. I'm thinking she doesn't hear me, so I speak louder and now I'm turning my hair from her, and she's dancing around me! I speak louder and say "I will do it" and she says "No, because if you could do it, you would have done it at home"

:lol::lol: She bold.

Because they get away with it. Like you, many women are more concerned with getting the style they want quickly, than being treated with respect as a paying customer.

My hair was detangled but I guess the roots weren't as detangled as they liked? I detangled at home and when I got to the salon before they started braiding but I guess that wasn't good enough for them.

I got Senagalese twists and yeah they look nice but the ends were just sloppy. They should have cut them but I was trying to get the hell up out of there

You must have really wanted your hair done bad. Cause BABAY!

Sent From The Microwave Where I Warm Up Honeybuns With Cheese :)

Precisely why I don't go to African braiding shops. I guess it's the same across America. Over here they are rude as hell, talk shiat in other languange, overcharge and take your hair and edges out. I think they do it on purpose. I know someone that braids hair and she does my Senegalese. She is not as fast but she is neat, way cheaper and my hair is never damaged.

My hair was detangled but I guess the roots weren't as detangled as they liked? I detangled at home and when I got to the salon before they started braiding but I guess that wasn't good enough for them.

I got Senagalese twists and yeah they look nice but the ends were just sloppy. They should have cut them but I was trying to get the hell up out of there

Did they dip the ends in hot water? Usually it's best not to cut the ends so that they don't looks blunt or choppy. If the ends are stringy they didn't separate the added hair right.

I am NOT surprised OP. Something simular happened to me a long time ago.

I'd been wearing micros for a long time, so I had nothing but APL natural hair. After taking 18 hrs to take out my last set of micros, I was feeling lazy so I decided to let them wash it the next day. (Huge mistake!)

The woman used some cheap suave shampoo and scrubed at it for about a minute and then rinse and didn't condition. I don't know if she realized that my hair was natural, but she just stuck me under the hair dryer WITHOUT combing or detangling of any kind. My hair was so matted that I was in tears as she tried to comb my hair from the ROOTS. None of them spoke English aside from one girl in the shop, so all my complaining fell on deaf ears. After I kept complaining, and she broke her stupid comb, she let me detangle my hair. Which was pretty tough at that point. It took 7 hours for three women to finish my hair. -_-

Afterwards I never entered that place without having my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried w/comb attachment, and put in a nice braided pony tail to ensure that there would be no stupidity. African braid shops braid well but they don't know a darn thing about handling natural hair.

I know that place :lol:

They always ask and approach on the streets if I want to get my hair braided (natural and all that). I stay saying NOPE! I know the deal. It's like the McDonald's of hair braiding, sorry. I deaded that once I hit 15 and had a choice.

Can't deal. And it kills me when some of them have Naomi edges. Don't ever come near my head!!!! :nono:

The one and only time I've been to the African braiding salon, the lady tried to get me to do her taxes and give her legal advice. I was like 17. We had not spoken much the entire 8 hours she was braiding my hair, but as soon as she was done, she went to the back and came out with a box of letters. I advised her on what I could from reading legal papers. :look: It was bizarre. But my hair looked good. lol.

Precisely why I don't go to African braiding shops. I guess it's the same across America. Over here they are rude as hell, talk shiat in other languange, overcharge and take your hair and edges out. I think they do it on purpose. I know someone that braids hair and she does my Senegalese. She is not as fast but she is neat, way cheaper and my hair is never damaged.

Heck yeah they do it on purpose.

And I can't tell you how many people I know who have come back from African braid shops with bleeding scalps, huge bumps around their temples, and headaches that last for days.

I've only let one african woman braid my hair. And she had gorgeous long hair so I knew it would be okay.

this is why I stopped going to the hair salon when Im in a rush. I always go on my days off so if theres any foolishness I can devise a plan B.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Bad situation all the way around.
I would have been irritated as the braider if anyone came in with matted hair(to me detangled means to the root!), but she handled it poorly. Instead of just telling you that she would need to blow it out, or would not be able to do it at all, she opted for poor customer service. I understand there are cultural differences in manners, but at what point do you draw the line?
It sucks that you chose to stay and pay though, you only reinforced her a$$hole behavior-hit em where it hurts...in the pockets. I would have just worn a bun wherever I had to go & kept my money for someone with more business sense.

frida1980 said:
I am NOT surprised OP. Something simular happened to me a long time ago.

I'd been wearing micros for a long time, so I had nothing but APL natural hair. After taking 18 hrs to take out my last set of micros, I was feeling lazy so I decided to let them wash it the next day. (Huge mistake!)

The woman used some cheap suave shampoo and scrubed at it for about a minute and then rinse and didn't condition. I don't know if she realized that my hair was natural, but she just stuck me under the hair dryer WITHOUT combing or detangling of any kind. My hair was so matted that I was in tears as she tried to comb my hair from the ROOTS. None of them spoke English aside from one girl in the shop, so all my complaining fell on deaf ears. After I kept complaining, and she broke her stupid comb, she let me detangle my hair. Which was pretty tough at that point. It took 7 hours for three women to finish my hair. -_-

Afterwards I never entered that place without having my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried w/comb attachment, and put in a nice braided pony tail to ensure that there would be no stupidity. African braid shops braid well but they don't know a darn thing about handling natural hair.

I don't see why they don't know how to do natural hair when most of them have natural hair, but then again that's why majority of the time they don't have a nice amount of their own hair

Even though I loved the speed I did not like how they treated me! I was thinking about going back, just not to that specific braider.

Afterwards I never entered that place without having my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried w/comb attachment, and put in a nice braided ponytail to ensure that their would be no stupidity. African braid shops braid well but they don't know a darn thing about handling natural hair.

Honestly, the bolded is the reason why they will continue doing whatever they wish to their customers. After being manhandled and disrespected, the fact that you both are willing to continue patronizing these businesses is somewhat disturbing, IMO.

No offense intended, but in situations such as these you have to let your dollars (or lack thereof) do the talking.

Bad situation all the way around.
I would have been irritated as the braider if anyone came in with matted hair(to me detangled means to the root!), but she handled it poorly. Instead of just telling you that she would need to blow it out, or would not be able to do it at all, she opted for poor customer service. I understand there are cultural differences in manners, but at what point do you draw the line?
It sucks that you chose to stay and pay though, you only reinforced her a$$hole behavior-hit em where it hurts...in the pockets. I would have just worn a bun wherever I had to go & kept my money for someone with more business sense.

It wasn't matted though. I was detangled but I guess it wasn't to her liking. I combed through it myself

Honestly, the bolded is the reason why they will continue doing whatever they wish to their customers. After being manhandled and disrespected, the fact that you both are willing to continue patronizing these businesses is somewhat disturbing, IMO.

No offense intended, but in situations such as these you have to let your dollars (or lack thereof) do the talking.

Yes, you are right. I have stopped patronizing other types of businesses for less. IDK why I give hair salons a pass

Vanity maybe?

PJaye said:

Haven't had my hair braided since 06. Before then it was 02. I only did to grow out my spontaneous relaxers. Now that I know I can't stand my hair relaxed there's no need for me to suffer that abuse again.

In any case it's unfair to expect people with a huge language and cultural barrier to suddenly know how to deal with natural hair when 99% of the women they serve have relaxed hair. Not to mention very few people outside of children would actually have long natural hair to begin with. I think we have to much expectation that all African women should be able to handle natural hair. The truth is there's a lot of relaxed heads in Africa too.

This happened to me once when I went to get braids. I detangled but my hair shrinked back down and coiled up. One braider realized this and just pulled my hair taut as she braided, but the other woman wanted to rip thru my hair with a fine toothed comb.

I told her to stop doing that and she said "you hair is nappy." I said, yes I realize that but I would prefer that you didn't comb it with that small comb. Just part it and braid it.

She did what I asked. But it was drama.

I have a lot of hair and it was getting long at that time. I had to fight for everything I wanted that day and I never went back.

I know that place :lol:

They always ask and approach on the streets if I want to get my hair braided (natural and all that). I stay saying NOPE! I know the deal. It's like the McDonald's of hair braiding, sorry. I deaded that once I hit 15 and had a choice.

Can't deal. And it kills me when some of them have Naomi edges. Don't ever come near my head!!!! :nono:

Same here been there and done that . They said some nonsense in French and when I responded they looked at me like I was zombie. Now whenever I do go they rarely say anything in any language. Yes, chicks I'm one of you too and I can speak the lingo.

I used to get my hair braided in Harlem too Op. The trick is to Never go there when you're pressed for time, and Always start out by giving them a hard time. You cannot be nice. I don't mean to go in there acting ratchet....just be really stern. As soon as I hit 125th, and they run up to me, I tell them I want those braids for not a penny more than $90. If they balk, I tell them I'm going to another shop then, and KIM. They always chase after me, and say they can do it for that price....and that's being nice, cause I have friends that will start at $60. I never act like I'm friendly, or soft while I'm in the shop, and once they start braiding we haggle the price up to $115-$120. I get the hair I want, and everyone feels like a winner.

If you had stood up, and told them you were going to another shop...guaranteed they would have started acting like they had sense.

When I used to go there myself, I used to always have fights. My hair was natural at the time and they always wanted to manhandle my hair. I am African so it was no cultural differences and I spoke French. I decided to finally stop going eventually.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I used to get my hair braided in Harlem too Op. The trick is to Never go there when you're pressed for time, and Always start out by giving them a hard time. You cannot be nice. I don't mean to go in there acting ratchet....just be really stern. As soon as I hit 125th, and they run up to me, I tell them I want those braids for not a penny more than $90. If they balk, I tell them I'm going to another shop then, and KIM. They always chase after me, and say they can do it for that price....and that's being nice, cause I have friends that will start at $60. I never act like I'm friendly, or soft while I'm in the shop, and once they start braiding we haggle the price up to $115-$120. I get the hair I want, and everyone feels like a winner.

If you had stood up, and told them you were going to another shop...guaranteed they would have started acting like they had sense.

Yes, yes, yes! I was stern from the beginning about the size of the braid and the size of the part but the woman who was originally doing my hair went to another customer!

They were even exasperated with me at a point because I had to keep telling them to make the parts bigger

I will go when I am not pressed for time and leave next time if any rachetness ensues

Last edited:
I see a lot of women on here complain about what beauticians /braiders do to their hair and its kind of sad to me...the amount of time that we put into our hair to let someone destroy it is unbelievable. If i were you i would've gotten my arse up out of that chair and find somewhere else to go especially since its like 50leven braid salons in Harlem.
I'm sorry i refuse to put up with any disrespect behavior all because i want my hair done fcuk outta here

Back