Ghetto, Makeshift Haircare...

ComfortablyNumb

Last night I went out on and tried out a hair product that gave me the best curls I've ever had. Well, I wanted to preserve these curls for the next day but I only had a satiny scarf but no silk or satin pillowcase or bonnet that would keep my curls in tact. Being the creative person that I am, I threw my pillow with its cotton pillowcase to the side and pulled down my cotton sheet, revealing *voila* a pretty satiny mattress. This kept my curls...Woohoo!

This isn't my only ghetto fabulous hair endeavor...before I started learning about haircare, if I couldn't find a rubberband I would sometimes pull my hair back with a twisty-tie (that comes with garbage bags and on loaves of bread)

Have any of you participated in ghetto haircare? Fess up!

laugh.gif

Many, many moons ago I used to roll my hair with newspaper and pipe cleaners to make "drop curls".
blush.gif
Kind a g-fab version of Solar Rollers.
laugh.gif

I told ya'll about using plastic grocery store bags over my hands to color my hair when I didn't have gloves...

Like Supergirl said - it's the African American Way!
laugh.gif

Yes indeed. In my younger days, when I didn't have rollers, and would get my hair pressed and set, I'd use rectangular pieces of paper folded lengthwise into thick flexible strips as rollers at bedtime. I'd divide my hair into sections and roll each section over the middle of a strip, then tie the ends in a half knot to hold them in place. They worked. I'd only need to pick/lift my curls the next day.
trampoline.gif

Hey, does anyone else use the string and hotwater method to give waves to braids with synthetic extensions? I used to do that too.
grin.gif
But I don't think it was ghetto. I don't know of any other way to get the waves to look so neat. If I still wore synthetic extensions, I'd do it again today.
smile.gif
I tried it with human hair but it didn't work. Maybe I didn't give my hair enough time to dry completely.
ohwell.gif

Back in the day...I used brown paper grocery bags to roll my hair too.

I cut off the elastic band in old panty hose to use as a headband and cut the legs to use as pony tail holders.

Before I found my satin zippered pillow case - I used an old satin blouse over my cotton pillow case. Buttoned it up & tied the arms around my pillow.

Tracy, I wanted to use a Henna last night and didn't have any gloves. I've got plenty of plastic grocery bags!!!

Plastic grocery bags also come in good for conditioning or hair coloring.

I too have conditioned with plastic grocery bags. One of my friends told me I was pathetic and gave me some shower caps. It's all cool though, college has taught me how to be CHEAP!!!!
grin.gif

I used to curl my hair with magazine papers the curls came out real good!
oh yea and at night I would wrap my hair up with a slip kept the moisture in and everything

I would call it being resourceful...shoot, I did one the other night. I travel a lot for work, and traveling means you can't take your whole beauty closet with you.

I wanted to deep condition, so I took the plastic bag (out of the ice bucket at the hotel), covered my hair with that, took a hand towel soaked in hot water, and put a heavy plastic shower cap (that i take everywhere) over that. I looked like a mushroom person, from super mario bros.

In high school I used bobby pins to make my hair real crimpy I rolled my hair around them like rollers. But I do not advise this, it broke my hair off really bad.
whyme.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I went out on and tried out a hair product that gave me the best curls I've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't have anything ghettofied to add to this post, (I've also done a few of the things already mentioned!!) but I DO wanna know what product this was that gave you the perfect curls, Comfortably Numb!!! Enquiring minds wanna know!!!
sekret.gif

It was Salon Selectives Loosely Defined...Um i forgot the rest of the name (thanx again Allandra!) My curls have the tendency to be more wavey than curly in that they lay down. This stuff made them curl up and stick out! My hair looks like the curly headed girl in the Pantene Relaxed and Natural commercial instead of the boring wavey sorta curly mildly frizzy stuff that usually graces my head.

African American Technology/Engineering is alive and well ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Before I found my satin zippered pillow case - I used an old satin blouse over my cotton pillow case. Buttoned it up & tied the arms around my pillow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha **gasping for air** hahahahahahahahahahaha

Now that's ghetto! Sounds like something I would do. Great minds think alike
think.gif

[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
many years ago I use to roll my hair with the brown paper bags
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I also use to use a shopping bag as a shower cap. conventional huh!!!

[ QUOTE ]
It was Salon Selectives Loosely Defined...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh girl!!! I should have known!!! I absolutely, positively ADORE that stuff!!!
Rose.gif
I TOTALLY agree with you!!! It makes the BEST curls EVER!!!

Where did you find it??? I hope my bottle lasts me a good long time; I found mine on ebay... It was so cheap, but it's like my FAVORITE hair product!!!

I want to try it for a loose air-dry but I don't want to use it up too fast!!!
nono.gif

When I used to use sponge hair rollers (back in the day) I would use toilet paper instead of end papers

smile.gif
smile.gif

elaine

When I run out of plastic caps, I still use plastic shopping bags:) They work great and give you a nice seal.

Ok ladies I'm so embarassed. One time I was doing spiral curls with flexi rods. Well I ran out. So the only thing I had left was a ...............................oh boy I'm just too embarassed..........I used a ..................ok ok I used a tampon (it worked though) I think it was the best curl on my head!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
many years ago I use to roll my hair with the brown paper bags
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I also use to use a shopping bag as a shower cap. conventional huh!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too - on both counts.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was Salon Selectives Loosely Defined...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh girl!!! I should have known!!! I absolutely, positively ADORE that stuff!!!
Rose.gif
I TOTALLY agree with you!!! It makes the BEST curls EVER!!!

Where did you find it??? I hope my bottle lasts me a good long time; I found mine on ebay... It was so cheap, but it's like my FAVORITE hair product!!!

I want to try it for a loose air-dry but I don't want to use it up too fast!!!
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought 10 bottles of Salon Selectives Loosely Defined from Big Lots a few months ago (when I was really loving this product). Some of the Big Lots might still have it.

There's no Big Lots near where I live, but I'm currently having my fiance check if the one near where he lives carries it!! Cindy, I may have to buy one of your bottles from you!!!
laugh.gif

They have it, they have it!!! Yaaay!! He's gonna pick them up for me after work!!
trampoline.gif

Back