Getting tired of the *severe* look of buns….

kadej

Hi ladies! I've been wearing buns for the last few months (minus one flat iron session last month). I'm wearing buns bc (1) it's relatively easy and considered protective styling and (2) it's hot and I don't want to waste precious time flat ironing my mega thick hair (I'm natural btw, a bit past APL). I don't know if it's boredom or what, but I've reached the point that I'm not feeling as cute with my bun anymore… I know, sounds vain, but it's true! I'm not ready to give up on the bun yet, but I'm trying to figure out ways to mix it up a bit.

I don't really like how I look with twists, box braids, etc., so bunning is the best option for me. My question for you all is… what do you do *jazz* up your buns (besides hair candy)? I think what I'm missing most is the softness and face framing I get when my hair is flat ironed straight. I adore my side swoop ;). Perhaps I could just straighten a small portion of my hair in the front so I can still have my *swoop* and leave my natural hair bunned in the back. Has anyone done this? I'm nervous that the two textures may make the style look a bit... ugh (one of the many reasons I'm strongly considering relaxing at the end of summer, but that's a totally different discussion!). Thoughts/opinions? TIA! ;)

break out the side swoop if you need too. also, good earrings and other accessories will take you a long way. not much but hope it helps. take care.

Do different bun placements to change things up for you. I agree with letting a lil hair out.....

Mrs.km, it's time to look for some beautiful sparkley pins, a few hair sticks with dangles and jewels, combs, various hair accessories to add to your look.

Oh my gosh! I had this exact same problem and I started a topic, here it goes if you want to read it: I feel so UNSEXY with a bun

The things which have helped me out the most are wearing flashier accessories like earrings and also doing high-buns. I also think a silk hair tye looks nice to jazz up your look. Make sure you continue to do your makeup (which for me is just eyeshadow, mascara, and lipgloss since my skin is in really good condition). Sometimes hairbands will work. HTH and good luck! It's a low manipulation hairstyle, but sometimes it really does make you feel...well, bummy.

Back