getting braids! what do I tell my stylist!?

HighAspirations

I'm getting sengalese twists! I'm excited for a break from my TWA but I don't want her giving me Alopecia. What do you tell your stylist and braiders to keep them from snatching your scalp out? My mom said get a spray bottle and every time she braids too tight I should spray her :lachen: but somehow I don't think that would go over to well.... so help me ladies, I'm desperate!

When I first sit down I tell her that I don't want them too tight. I also ask her to make the parts a little bigger around my edges and nape. I will usually do an example so they can see what I mean. I don't play and if I don't like the way that the braid feels I will promptly ask her to start it over.

I also don't have anyone braid my hair that does not speak english.

When I first sit down I tell her that I don't want them too tight. I also ask her to make the parts a little bigger around my edges and nape. I will usually do an example so they can see what I mean. I don't play and if I don't like the way that the braid feels I will promptly ask her to start it over.

I also don't have anyone braid my hair that does not speak english.

So you mean use bigger pieces of hair around the circumference?

Will you be taking your own hair that has been soaked in vinegar-water to get the alkaline film off of it? This film cause allergic reactions and itching.

If not see the crown and glory method for instructions.
http://growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

There is also a lot of crown and glory info and challenges on LHCF. Good luck!

I usually tell my braider that i detangled my hair so she doesnt have to comb... Just part it...and to leave my little hairs in the front out... And to not braid the edges tight at all. If they get too loose ill just come back.

Check out that crown and glory method to get familiar with healthy braid practices that you can pass on to your braider.

I bet you will end up doing you own braids, one day.

I hope I'm not late, but also please make sure she uses less extension hair per section of yours. If she uses too much hair per section, it'll be so heavy it will pull your own hair out. It's already going to be heavier than your head has been accustomed to...so the less hair you use, the better/safer it is.

Maybe you'll understand better what I mean when you read this post.

Make sure you tell her not to put any product in your hair. I suffered a setback from sengalese twists - but not the twists themselves. I thought I had covered all bases, but the braiders had put some gel or something in my hair that made my twists hard and caused breakage and thin ends even though I took the twists out after only 2 weeks. They also used some anti-itch menthol and petroleum spray on my scalp that caused me to break out.

Make sure you can see the mirror while she's working on you and if you don't like it don't let her keep going, politely stop her and tell her what you want your hair to look and feel like

Back