Getting A Man To Update His Style...

kbragg

Hey ladies, I'm going on 5 years of marriage and I have NO CLUE how to shop for my hubby! I mean it's almost 2008 and he's STILL wearing the same Polo Shirt/Khaki Pants/Military Buzz cut he's been wearing since High School. I've been desperately trying to get him to try out a different haircut...I even talk to the stylist (yes we're cheap, we go to Walmart:lol:) and try to get her to try something with a little gel or something(hubby is clear lol) but it's always the same.....military fade, just like when we were in the Military:nono: He still looks might handsome, but I wish he'd try a bit of a different look. Make a little bit of a spiked look you know?

Also, how can I get him in a suit and tie? I mean hubby is soooooo handsome ya'll! I can imagine him with some contacts, a sharp suit and tie (or even no tie) and an stylish hair cut (I even am learning to like his facial hair lol) but alas, he won't budge!

How can I help him update his style without making him feel like I'm trying to chnge him? Help ya'll, the "White & nerdy" looks needs to go!:lachen:

Hey ladies, I'm going on 5 years of marriage and I have NO CLUE how to shop for my hubby! I mean it's almost 2008 and he's STILL wearing the same Polo Shirt/Khaki Pants/Military Buzz cut he's been wearing since High School. I've been desperately trying to get him to try out a different haircut...I even talk to the stylist (yes we're cheap, we go to Walmart:lol:) and try to get her to try something with a little gel or something(hubby is clear lol) but it's always the same.....military fade, just like when we were in the Military:nono: He still looks might handsome, but I wish he'd try a bit of a different look. Make a little bit of a spiked look you know?

Also, how can I get him in a suit and tie? I mean hubby is soooooo handsome ya'll! I can imagine him with some contacts, a sharp suit and tie (or even no tie) and an stylish hair cut (I even am learning to like his facial hair lol) but alas, he won't budge!

How can I help him update his style without making him feel like I'm trying to chnge him? Help ya'll, the "White & nerdy" looks needs to go!:lachen:

OHHHHH I need help too! Hes nearly 40 and he cant dress stylishly!! Im not super fashionable myself but Im co-ordinated...hes not!

I am buying my fiance nothing but clothes this Christmas and maybe a nice watch. He likes to wear plaid shirts and wears his jeans with the cuff rolled up:perplexed And he only wears timberland and lugz boots. I'm tired of it, so I'm going to help him out a little:grin:

I am buying my fiance nothing but clothes this Christmas and maybe a nice watch. He likes to wear plaid shirts and wears his jeans with the cuff rolled up:perplexed And he only wears timberland and lugz boots. I'm tired of it, so I'm going to help him out a little:grin:

I know what you are talking about with them boots girl!:lachen:My DH would not OWN a pair of dress shoes if his parents didn't surprise us all one day and do a shoe shopping sneak attack.....he's still determined NOT to wear dress socks though....WHITE TUBE SOCKS black Khaki pants and black dress shoes....can you imagine?:look::nono::perplexed

I know what you are talking about with them boots girl!:lachen:My DH would not OWN a pair of dress shoes if his parents didn't surprise us all one day and do a shoe shopping sneak attack.....he's still determined NOT to wear dress socks though....WHITE TUBE SOCKS black Khaki pants and black dress shoes....can you imagine?:look::nono::perplexed
:lachen:OMG, I had a friend that used to do this in high school. They used to pick on him and say he looked liked an Asian Micheal Jackson. Christmas would the perferct time to buy him all new socks.

How would I do it?? Give him a reason to dress the part. Buy him what you want to see him wearing. Create "events" for him to wear the things you want. Buy him a nice sweater or blazer and make some dinner reservations (or something else) where he can wear the blazer.

I'm a jeans and tank top girl (I live in Cali). In the summer it's shorts and a tank. In the fall its jeans and a tank. In the winter it's jeans, a tank and a hoodie. To the club, it's cute jeans a cute top and some heels. To family events, it's pants, a cute top and a blazer. My friends will invite me somewhere and be like "...and you can't wear JEANS!" (so I don't).

My boyfriend at the time used to joke about it - and I used to always respond with "if you want me to dress up give me a reason to". So he did. Dinners went from the local burrito spot (my favorite) to new restaurant openings, jazz music, wine bars etc... so I had to dress the part. And I started WANTING to dress the part.

Give him a reason to dress the part - don't have that man get all fresh and dapper to take him to the same place ya'll go to with him in his crew cuts and jeans. :) And complement him on the new changes - not "you like nice honey" but "_____ really complements your skin tone" or "you look very _____ when you wear turtlenecks because it accentuates your ____".

We want to feel pretty. Men want to feel handsome. Make that man feel handsome!!

Last edited:
try marshalls
beall's has AWESOME sales

I buy all my dh's clothing
I cut his hair
buy his products

he's my ken doll

try one piece @ a time
honey I got you this shirt
will you wear it:yep:

Great advice ladies! Keep it coming, I'm taking notes:grin: Spelmanlocks I tried the Michael Jackson line but it had no effect on him:lachen:

Im takin him shopping when his ass is home next time!
Im gonna throw out all his stuff he brought with him and pack his suitcase home...but then he'll look sexy and i wont be there....awww man

Ah leave the retro dude alone.:lachen: You know as you get older that seems to be the running theme:look:. I've decided I will remain in the 80's when I was a hawt college student:spinning:.

How open to suggestion is your hubby?

Flip thru channels to one of those makeover shows and say "baby I thank we need a makeover":yep:
You could say whadaya think about a mo hawk sweet thang:lachen:, if he says no you say "well the ole crewcut is getting a lil old".

Heck try to slip it in there without a direct hit and hopefully he will take the bait.

My SO does this!!! It kills me. He even wears the cuffed jeans when we go out to nicer places, and all I can do is stare at the bottom of the cuff that is all ragged from dragging the ground :wallbash:. I'm trying to find some good jeans for him that won't cut off his circulation but actually fit. Any brand suggestions??

Back