Garlic Oil Supplements?

NaturalBlackGurl

I am interested in using garlic to help combat hair shedding. I bought some odorless garlic capsules from whole foods 500mg. I know a lot of the ladies on this forum use kyolic garlic. But the garlic capsules I have say Garlic (as garlic oil) is this the same? and will it be as effective? and how many mg should I take? I have a lot of shedding.

Thank you (:)

OP shedding is normal. It has to happen. I've never understood why people try to stop nature from taking its course. Unless your hair is thinning and you're seeing bald spots, I'd not worry too much about shedding. Shedding means your hair is growing normally.

As for taking garlic supplements, you can take them for just total health. They are good for cardiovascular health. I'd take whatever the bottle says is the daily dosage for the brand you have.

Yes I was shedding like crazy it scared me...I started counting the hairs...so I started taking the Garlic, well yes Nonie is correct, shedding hairs means that new hair is coming in and pushing old hairs out (as long as there are no bald spots or thinning occurring). For the record, I am still shedding even with the garlic but I'm also taking MSM which is to promote hair growth and of course with that comes shedding....so I said all of that to say...I'm basically taking the garlic for heart health now.

I just started taking garlic pills (400mg once a day) also mainly to curb some of the shedding since I started using mega tek also for health benefits.

I thought about taking these 2, but for different reasons though. Please return and tell us how it works out. Garlic is also a very good source for high blood pressure, diabetes and fungal infections. Just make sure to not take it with any blood thinners (because garlic naturally thins your blood). Below is a previous thread about garlic:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread291869.html

Bumping!

My shedding has been excessive and I've narrowed it down to medication. I spoke w/ my doc about it, and she feels it's best to keep me on for 2 more months to see how me (and my hair) handle it. I'm losing alot of hair..A LOT!

Those of you who do take garlic supplements, which brand and how many mgs are you taking each day?

Was your shedding due to stress, medication, topical growth aide?

I agree with Nonie that shedding is normal. But if its excessive :nono: I've mentioned my struggles with huge handfuls of hair shedding for 2 years after giving birth to my son. It created thinning, spots, etc. Looking back it was due to postpartum hormones, exteme anemia, stress, lack of sleep, etc...

Its over now. :woot: I credit it to taking vitamins consistently and eating a bit cleaner. I take 1,000 mg of odorless garlic and 900 mg of saw palmetto (Spring Valley brand). I also take iron (for anemia and also known to help with excessive shedding). I also take MSM and a multi with vitamin b complex, folic acid and other good stuff.

It took me a long time to figure out what was safe and how much to take. But as soon as I did, I saw a tremendous difference in the amount of shedding, which is very little now. I know firsthand how stressful this could be and the damage it can wreak on your hair.

Last edited:
Back