GARLIC for shedding (Question)

MysteryMe

I have a lot of shedding for as long as I can remember and I'm planning to try garlic tomorrow. I need some suggestions as to what I am suppose to do with it exactly. Do you use fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic? Is it difficult to get the garlic out of your hair? Did it actually work for you, if so how many treatments?

4a/b Relaxed
1 1/2 beyond BSL

Can some of you please post your garlic regimen?

Last edited:
i made an infusion using sunflower oil and minced garlic (in the jar) by using 8 oz of oil & either 4 tbsp or 4 tsp (can't remember) of garlic. i let it cook in the crock pot overnight and strained.

i used it by oiling & massaging my scalp with it as a pre-poo for 30 minutes, then washed & conditioned my hair. the smell was so bad though that i only used it 2-3 times. i think it actually worked though cause there was definitely less shedding. but it took about 3 washes with strong shampoos to get the smell out.

i couldn't take the smell though so i stopped using it and starting using amla & shikakai powder to help with shedding.

HTH

Thanks for the info.

I have about 7 cloves of sliced garlic in EVOO that has been marinating (at room temp) for about a week. I was thinking about warming it in the microwave.

I am NOT looking forward to the smell, but I have so much shedding that I probably could make a rug for my bathroom.

You should try a Garlic Conditioner with no smell, like alter ego or Nutrine.

Becareful with Nutrine BTW, it will tangle your hair.

I had this very question last week, however my shedding was due in part to a medical condition. Someone suggested a way to use the garlic but I didn't really quite understand exactly what they were suggesting. I didn't do a garlic treatment, but I used aphogee and it helped.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance with a suggestion for the garlic treatment, but good luck b/c that shedding is no joke.

BB

I add the juice from the freshly squeezed garlic to my conditioner and applied it to my scalp. It stinks!
My mom purchased unscented garlic oil for me so I used that instead. It helped a lot.

I add the juice from the freshly squeezed garlic to my conditioner and applied it to my scalp. It stinks!
My mom purchased unscented garlic oil for me so I used that instead. It helped a lot.

Blackbarbie-Yes shedding is not joke. Thanks for your comments.

sweetcashew-were do you purchase unscented garlic?? (I'll try the method you suggested until I can get the unscented.)

i just started using a garlic shampoo 3 weeks ago and it has worked wonders and it doesnt smell. i brought queen helene's garlic shampoo for $5.

the downside is it does tangle your hair but if you leave it in the scalp and roots of your hair it wont be too bad. i also make sure the conditioner stays in my hair for at least 5mins before i start to detangle.

the other downside it was VERY hard to find in my area. i was going to order it online when i finally found it at a store.

my hair sheds badly in the winter and this product helped me a lot.

I am using this Dominican shampoo:

aa53_1.JPG

And this Dominican deep conditioner:

92ca_1.JPG

I'm not sure which product is doing the trick (received & used on this past Saturday) but after one use I have noticed huge slow down in shedding. I could gently pull down the length of my hair and get a good 20 to 50 hairs at once. SCARY! Today I pulled and got 1, pulled again and got 3.

The Apretadora is bright green and turned my hands green for a short while, but I'm gonna keep up with both since I saw good results. BTW, I did a lot of research before I chose these two items.

The shampoo had a very faint smell of garlic. I am trying to cut down on poo so I would love to have info on the odorless garlic oil too! :lick:

Has anyone used a garlic extract (liquid)?

I wonder would it have the same effect on shedding (would cut down on the smell too).

Good question AKA.

ChocolateSoda, thanks. I have to locate a Dominican shop and see if they have this product. That's exactly what I am experiencing (20+ strands of hair) and it is very scary.

I am using this Dominican shampoo:

aa53_1.JPG

And this Dominican deep conditioner:

92ca_1.JPG

I'm not sure which product is doing the trick (received & used on this past Saturday) but after one use I have noticed huge slow down in shedding. I could gently pull down the length of my hair and get a good 20 to 50 hairs at once. SCARY! Today I pulled and got 1, pulled again and got 3.

The Apretadora is bright green and turned my hands green for a short while, but I'm gonna keep up with both since I saw good results. BTW, I did a lot of research before I chose these two items.

The shampoo had a very faint smell of garlic. I am trying to cut down on poo so I would love to have info on the odorless garlic oil too! :lick:

Last edited:
Has anyone used a garlic extract (liquid)?

I wonder would it have the same effect on shedding (would cut down on the smell too).

I was wondering the same thing. I saw garlic oil in a local store the other day but I was hesistant to get it, as I don't know if it will really work. The ingredients were garlic in a soy oil base.

Soooo....

Has anyone ever used garlic oil or extract with good results? :scratchch

I think I'm gonna try the extract.

When I get my hands on it (hopefully I won't have to order it), I'll let everyone know how it worked.

This would be a perfect solution to the problem w/o the smell.:look:

Last edited:
MysteryMe, my mom purchased it from a health food store in Brooklyn. Of course she can't remember the name but she said that you can also buy the garlic capsules (soft gel) and squeeze out the liquid.

This is what I do

Blend 2cloves of garlic with evoo(extra virgin olive oil) in a blender. I put on dry hair for 15 minutes. sometimes I sit under my hair dryer.

Then I rinse and shampoo. then I do aphogee for damage hair, blow dry or use hair dyer until hard. I then rinse

I then use a moisturizer with teaspoon of evoo eg,. I use Paul mitchel Moisturizer. Then I leave on hair for 15 minutes. or use what ever that you prefer.

I then do a final rinse add bit of olive oil organic moisturizer and bit of Paul Mitchel Skinny Serum. I then set my hair with magetic rollers sit under a warm hair dyer untill hair is dry.

I then style. there is very little shredding or breakage

Thanks! Good suggestion.

I tried garlic and EVOO last night and prepood with it for about 30 mins. (Oh, the smell :sad: ). I heated the mixture in the microwave until warm. But I let the garlic cloves sit in the EVOO for about a week at room temp. I did notice less shedding while I was washing my hair. I notice a small bit of difference after I combed (after DCing). Maybe it takes a couple of treatments.

MysteryMe, my mom purchased it from a health food store in Brooklyn. Of course she can't remember the name but she said that you can also buy the garlic capsules (soft gel) and squeeze out the liquid.

Thanks sweetcashew. I have to go to a healthfood store ASAP. How did you use the Garlic oil?? (as a sealer, or??)

Last edited:
i just started using a garlic shampoo 3 weeks ago and it has worked wonders and it doesnt smell. i brought queen helene's garlic shampoo for $5.

the downside is it does tangle your hair but if you leave it in the scalp and roots of your hair it wont be too bad. i also make sure the conditioner stays in my hair for at least 5mins before i start to detangle.

the other downside it was VERY hard to find in my area. i was going to order it online when i finally found it at a store.

my hair sheds badly in the winter and this product helped me a lot.

I saw some in Vitamin World or GNC (since your in Upstate NY)

I have a lot of shedding for as long as I can remember and I'm planning to try garlic tomorrow. I need some suggestions as to what I am suppose to do with it exactly. Do you use fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic? Is it difficult to get the garlic out of your hair? Did it actually work for you, if so how many treatments?

4a/b Relaxed
1 1/2 beyond BSL

Can some of you please post your garlic regimen?

i've never used garlic for shedding, but i use it for a lot of medicinal purposes. it's a superb antimicrobial/antifungal/antibacterial herb. I imagine it works by increasing circulation to the scalp and to kill any dandruff causing fungus which may inhibit hair folical function.

maybe try to extract the juice (you know, using a garlic press) and mixing it in with an oil. it can sting, so be sure you don't have a sensitive scalp!

I use this once a week:

Works great!! Nice deep conditioner. I put this on my scalp, set for five minutes and put another deep conditioner on top and go under the dryer. I also have Henna Queen Garlic Shampoo and Rinse. I sometimes add the Rinse to my cowashes. They have all been working great. The Alter Ego is a staple :yep:!

Garlic worked wonders for my excessive shedding! I use garlic juice in my prepoo oil mix. I get the juice out of a jar of minced garlic, found at any supermarket. I just press a teaspoon into the minced garlic and collect the juice. Another way is to use an eyedropper to collect the juice. It's so much easier to do than crushing or pressing IMO. Also, if you cook, minced garlic is good to have on hand anyway. Saves prep time :yep:

Garlic worked wonders for my excessive shedding! I use garlic juice in my prepoo oil mix. I get the juice out of a jar of minced garlic, found at any supermarket. I just press a teaspoon into the minced garlic and collect the juice. Another way is to use an eyedropper to collect the juice. It's so much easier to do than crushing or pressing IMO. Also, if you cook, minced garlic is good to have on hand anyway. Saves prep time :yep:

OK I have this in the frige!

But was there a garlicy smell afterwards?

I use this once a week:

Works great!! Nice deep conditioner. I put this on my scalp, set for five minutes and put another deep conditioner on top and go under the dryer. I also have Henna Queen Garlic Shampoo and Rinse. I sometimes add the Rinse to my cowashes. They have all been working great. The Alter Ego is a staple :yep:!

I second this. I started using this last summer once a week. I apply to my scalp, massage in, then put my moisturizing dc on my length. This ended my abnormal shedding after about a month. It also helped my dry /sensitive scalp a lot Definitely a staple for me. Nice to know the garlic oil is working for others as well, just in case. Apretadora is on my to try list.

I have shedding and want to try this , but you guys are scaring me :perplexed.

how bad is the smell? if i co wash my hair will it still smell garlic?
has it made a difference?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone.

The smell was absolutely terrible. I used crushed garlic cloves with EVOO and I still can't get the smell out of the containers that I mixed the formula in. I was able to find some Garlic shampoo, I'll try that also.

Back